LD Noah Hanifin - Boston College, NCAA (2015 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I'm flippy floppy.

for conversation sake - Is it better to build:

Front end:
Mathews-Strome-Nylander
JvR-Kadri-Brown

Back end:
Hanifin-Rielly
Gardiner-Chychrun

Mixed:
JvR-Mathews-Nylander

Rielly-Hanifin

or
JvR-Strome-Nylander

Rielly-Chychrun

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
I'm flippy floppy.

Front end:
Mathews-Strome-Nylander
JvR-Kadri-Brown

Back end:
Hanifin-Rielly
Gardiner-Chychrun

Mixed:
JvR-Mathews-Nylander

Rielly-Hanifin

or
JvR-Strome-Nylander

Rielly-Chychrun

I find myself similarly flip-flopping between who I'd rather have between Hanifin, Marner, and Strome.
I just can't decide.

Then i tell myself that it's not my job to decide.

Honestly, it just re-assures me that we are getting a great prospect no matter who Shanny/Dubas/Hunter decide to take with that pick.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I find myself similarly flip-flopping between who I'd rather have between Hanifin, Marner, and Strome.
I just can't decide.

Then i tell myself that it's not my job to decide.

Honestly, it just re-assures me that we are getting a great prospect no matter who Shanny/Dubas/Hunter decide to take with that pick.

That's the way I look at it. I hope we get the best out of the 3 but we may get the 'worst' and he still be a top line fwd or top 2 D.

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013
Does anyone have a link to some Hanifin highlights? I never knew it could be this hard to find highlights on a top prospect... lol

Been trying for months, the best I could find is a 14 minutes shift-by-shift commentary from a single game but that doesn't really give you much of an idea of what he's capable of.

How can there not be any highlights of him? :shakehead

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Does anyone have a link to some Hanifin highlights? I never knew it could be this hard to find highlights on a top prospect... lol

Been trying for months, the best I could find is a 14 minutes shift-by-shift commentary from a single game but that doesn't really give you much of an idea of what he's capable of.

How can there not be any highlights of him? :shakehead

:laugh: Actually, that's a lot more representative than highlights.

Highlights on any college player not named Jack Eichel are ridiculously hard to find.

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013
:laugh: Actually, that's a lot more representative than highlights.

Highlights on any college player not named Jack Eichel are ridiculously hard to find.

The only problem is that it is from one single game, and the guy doing the commentary babbles on a lot and is hard to concentrate :laugh:

I want to see some variety over several games to see some of the amazing plays he has made. The only one I have seen of Hanifin is when he blew past a defender along the boards and then went straight to the net and roofed it behind the goalie's head lol

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The only problem is that it is from one single game, and the guy doing the commentary babbles on a lot and is hard to concentrate :laugh:

I want to see some variety over several games to see some of the amazing plays he has made. The only one I have seen of Hanifin is when he blew past a defender along the boards and then went straight to the net and roofed it behind the goalie's head lol

That's fair enough. But like most defenseman, other than the Erik Karlsson types, you aren't going to get much out of a highlight reel.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
I'm flippy floppy.

Front end:
Mathews-Strome-Nylander
JvR-Kadri-Brown

Back end:
Hanifin-Rielly
Gardiner-Chychrun

Mixed:
JvR-Mathews-Nylander

Rielly-Hanifin

or
JvR-Strome-Nylander

Rielly-Chychrun

Take Marner this year, and Chychrun next year unless we get #1 pick.

Chychrun is going to be elite.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Hanifin is an outstanding two-way defenseman. Forget about how was supposed to be a senior in high school rather than patrolling a blue line against grown men. Forget about how in true Jerry York fashion, Hanifin was held back in a lesser role for half a season. Lastly, forget about how Boston College had its lowest*offensive output since before the Great Depression (the American one, not the Harold Ballard*one). When you look at Hanifin from a purely individual standpoint, he’s top notch in so many areas. He is a tremendous skater forward and back, and possesses a long reach. This makes him difficult to beat one-on-one or in odd-man situations. Thus, his gap control is impeccable for anyone, let alone a teenager, and rarely*does he*resort to hooks and grabs. What makes him dangerous is when he takes these shutdown abilities and combines it with his superior IQ; at the blink of an eye, he’s stripped the puck clean and transitions the other way.

http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/prospects/noah-hanifin/

If Hanifin closed out his season the way Strome did, Button would have dropped him to 50th on his rankings.

Only two players deserve to be picked ahead of him. Two.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Muting is an option, which people have told me they've done when watching my videos. This is my first year doing commentary, so I apologize if it's not at the quality you want. Obviously my videos are not for everyone. However, it's still better than nothing.

I would like to explain something to help you understand "the problem" you have. I have made 30+ videos now on the various prospects, because several fans from all teams may not have an idea of what these prospects play like. A single game, from start to finish, takes 8 hours on average of work to make the video. Getting multiple games would take 2-3 times as long. And people have asked for more footage on other players (more McDavid, more Marner, etc). The more time I focus on one more popular prospect that one team's fanbase will benefit from is less time I can focus on a less popular prospect your team may draft later.

The video isn't intended to replace scouting. It's to give you an objective idea. I like highlights for fun, but they're not as informative of a player's style of play and are more biased.

Either way, I've done the best I could. I'm sorry it's not to your satisfaction.

Last edited:

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013
Muting is an option, which people have told me they've done when watching my videos. This is my first year doing commentary, so I apologize if it's not at the quality you want. Obviously my videos are not for everyone. However, it's still better than nothing.

I would like to explain something to help you understand "the problem" you have. I have made 30+ videos now on the various prospects, because several fans from all teams may not have an idea of what these prospects play like. A single game, from start to finish, takes 8 hours on average of work to make the video. Getting multiple games would take 2-3 times as long. And people have asked for more footage on other players (more McDavid, more Marner, etc). The more time I focus on one more popular prospect that one team's fanbase will benefit from is less time I can focus on a less popular prospect your team may draft later.

The video isn't intended to replace scouting. It's to give you an objective idea. I like highlights for fun, but they're not as informative of a player's style of play and are more biased.

Either way, I've done the best I could. I'm sorry it's not to your satisfaction.

I truly apologize for the remark, I did not know the videos were done by a fellow HF board member. I don't think I was fair in that assessment because I did not watch the full videos. I watched a few but my only criticism would be that the first 3 minutes or so it took a little while to actually get started talking about the prospects so after that I started to lose interest. I appreciate the work you've done and the amount of effort it requires to do each video. :handclap: And like I said earlier, it's the only video I have found on Hanifin after months of looking so I'm sure many people found it very helpful. I will go back and watch the full video to get a better idea of Hanifin as a prospect.

I apologise again, keep up the good work :)

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/prospects/noah-hanifin/

If Hanifin closed out his season the way Strome did, Button would have dropped him to 50th on his rankings.

Only two players deserve to be picked ahead of him. Two.

This agrees with my eyeball test from watching BC and WJC. Hanifin has such a shutdown arsenal that 95% of opponents he can just skate up to them and take the puck away. He can do it with reach, skating, hockey IQ/positioning, physicality, hand-eye coordination. It's a damn near unbeatable arsenal for 1-on-1 play. If you want to be a possession team, then you want the puck, and this is a guy who gains it for you. At a minimum you have a #2 minute eater and mistake eraser. If the offense translates, then an elite guy who will be mentioned for a Norris more than once in his career.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

I also didn't realize it was an hf guy who made those, I've watched your videos on the top 5 from this year's draft, they're excellent.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I truly apologize for the remark, I did not know the videos were done by a fellow HF board member. I don't think I was fair in that assessment because I did not watch the full videos. I watched a few but my only criticism would be that the first 3 minutes or so it took a little while to actually get started talking about the prospects so after that I started to lose interest. I appreciate the work you've done and the amount of effort it requires to do each video. :handclap: And like I said earlier, it's the only video I have found on Hanifin after months of looking so I'm sure many people found it very helpful. I will go back and watch the full video to get a better idea of Hanifin as a prospect.

I apologise again, keep up the good work :)

It's cool, and no apologies are needed. Honestly, now having several more practice and getting feedback from others, I'm not too happy with several of them myself. I've tried commenting with different styles and doing things to see a) how I do and feel doing them and b) how the viewers react to them. It's trial and error, and I guess I came off a bit bristling not because I think you're wrong, but because I think you're right.

I feel I can be a bit more on point now, because I've used various methods to relay my intentions of making these videos. I know it's not helpful in terms of providing better quality everyone deserves for these prospects now (and, consequently, I've probably lost potential subscribers if their first experience was a bad one), but with me having no frame of reference of other people doing this, I had to experiment on my own to see what feels right for myself and the viewers.

What I truly envision in the distant future from this project is to inspire others to make similar videos. You're right, one game isn't enough to give you a really good idea. I'm hoping as these videos get more attention, people will make these kinds of videos on prospects they are interested in, and thus providing us with a wider group of prospects or games on the same prospect to give us that bigger picture.

Back to actually discussing the prospect, though, sorry for the rambling, which I have yet to eliminate from my message board posting :laugh: Thank you for the feedback nonetheless!

This agrees with my eyeball test from watching BC and WJC. Hanifin has such a shutdown arsenal that 95% of opponents he can just skate up to them and take the puck away. He can do it with reach, skating, hockey IQ/positioning, physicality, hand-eye coordination. It's a damn near unbeatable arsenal for 1-on-1 play. If you want to be a possession team, then you want the puck, and this is a guy who gains it for you. At a minimum you have a #2 minute eater and mistake eraser. If the offense translates, then an elite guy who will be mentioned for a Norris more than once in his career

I agree on his shut down capabilities based off his WJC (although I only commented off of one game). I haven't seen him in BU at all. He's a very safe player, especially defensively.

Again, based off just the WJC, I think he can be a bit more assertive and decisive offensively. There are times I think he tends to get caught reading the play for too long where he ends up neutralizing himself as a threat.

I also didn't realize it was an hf guy who made those, I've watched your videos on the top 5 from this year's draft, they're excellent.

Thank you, and I'm glad you enjoy them! I posted my videos in the Kings' draft board, but I got too nervous to bring more attention to myself by posting them on the main prospect board. I hope to make more you find enjoyable!

Last edited:

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I enjoyed the video as well King Pawn. I kind of assumed you were an hf poster all along :laugh:. The side remarks didn't deter from your main point and even made me laugh at loud at one point.

As a Carolina fan, I would like nothing more than to draft Hanifin. He's the biggest consolidation prize in this draft by missing out on McEichel. He'll do fine in Carolina because either he'll form a brilliant top pairing with Faulk or make up for Murphy's mistakes while giving him the green light.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
I enjoyed the video as well King Pawn. I kind of assumed you were an hf poster all along :laugh:. The side remarks didn't deter from your main point and even made me laugh at loud at one point.

As a Carolina fan, I would like nothing more than to draft Hanifin. He's the biggest consolidation prize in this draft by missing out on McEichel. He'll do fine in Carolina because either he'll form a brilliant top pairing with Faulk or make up for Murphy's mistakes while giving him the green light.

Here's hoping that you get disappointed missing out on Hanifin by 1 pick on draft day :sarcasm: He's definitely someone who I think should be #1 on the Leafs draft day list (McEichel is obvious).

I just think that his game is so cerebral and positionally sound that there's less risk than most top-end D-prospects have. I don't think he'll be flashy, but I do think that he'll still be able to pile up the points and net ~40 when he hits his stride in the NHL, just by being able to hit the open man, or setting up a play and picking up 2nd assists in transition.

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
IMO Hanifin will pot at minimum 40 points just based off of his hockey IQ and the amount of time a top 2 defenseman (which he will be) plays. If his whole offensive package converts to the NHL, I wouldn't be surprised to see consistent 50/55 point seasons.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I see all the tools for him to be an elite defenseman for many years to come. People underestimate his offensive abilities sometimes.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Slowly invhing my way towards the Hanifin train. As much as people ***** about not having a franchise C for over 7 years (Sundin), we haven't had a franchise D in nearly 3 decades (Salming). Him and Rielly would be an awesome top pairing for the future. If we got Chychrun next year too...

Hanifin-Chychrun
Rielly-XXXXX
Gardiner-XXXXX

:amazed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad