LD Noah Hanifin - Boston College, NCAA (2015 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bridgeman

Mar 1, 2013
Tampa FL
Yes but you can argue the reason Hanifins hype isn't as high is because of Mcdavid/Eichel taking the spotlight.

Jones and Eichel were both overly hyped in their draft year mainly by USA Hockey. The reason for this is USA hockey's infatuation with developing a # 1 pick. They over played their hand this year with Eichel naming him Captain of the WJT and it back fired. Expect the same hype machine with Mathews next year . They seem to gravitate to the late birth year kids . Those reasons on top of Hanifin leaving the USNTDP early to go to BC which obviously pissed some USA big wigs off is the reason why Hanifin isn't getting much hype/love. Hanifin will be better than Jones:(

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Eichel creates his own hype just watch him play.

If you think that NTDP didn't know he was leaving after 1 yr ... you are sadly mistaken.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He'd still be the 2nd best D on the team behind OEL. If he played the right, it'd probably be a no brainer. Sadly, he doesn't, and it will just lead to the same problem that saw Yandle get dealt.

He could be better than OEL.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
He could be better than OEL.

Could OEL switch sides? I'm jw as a Canes fan because I think Hanifin's always played the left side and has developed extremely good positional instincts from that side. I would assume you'd want to put him in a position where's he's most comfortable to excel as a defensive defenseman, giving the green light to OEL.

I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for Hanifin to play right though because he's THAT good.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Could OEL switch sides? I'm jw as a Canes fan because I think Hanifin's always played the left side and has developed extremely good positional instincts from that side. I would assume you'd want to put him in a position where's he's most comfortable to excel as a defensive defenseman, giving the green light to OEL.

I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for Hanifin to play right though because he's THAT good.

Each could get 25min on separate pairs and we'd have one or the other out for basically the entire game.

91Kadri91*

Each could get 25min on separate pairs and we'd have one or the other out for basically the entire game.

Yeah, this.

If, for whatever reason, Arizona passes on Hanifin, this is what I would want the Leafs to do with Hanifin and Rielly.

rt

May 13, 2004
Do any teams do this? Wouldn't that screw with the other pairings unless their partners can also handle huge minutes?

Pronger and Niedermayer on Anaheim's championship team comes to mind. :)

In AZ's case Murphy looks like he's got great shut down potential. Stone is a little riskier with a howitzer shot. OEL is a little more risky and Hanifin a little more positional. OEL-Murphy & Hanifin-Stone looks like a pretty impressive top four for the future. Assuming all works out.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC

In AZ's case Murphy looks like he's got great shut down potential. Stone is a little riskier with a howitzer shot. OEL is a little more risky and Hanifin a little more positional. OEL-Murphy & Hanifin-Stone looks like a pretty impressive top four for the future. Assuming all works out.

What about Gormley and Rundblad. :sarcasm: But really, what's Gormley up to these days?

It's crazy to think about how many consecutive 1st round draft picks were used on defenseman from 09-11 (OEL, Gormley, Murphy) and then forwards from 12-14 (Domi, Samuelsson, Perlini, and second round picks Dauphin, MacInnis, and Dvorak).

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
What about Gormley and Rundblad. :sarcasm: But really, what's Gormley up to these days?

Doing great in the AHL, looking good with extraordinarly limited NHL opportunities and being completley ignored by the coaching staff and utterly overlooked while much worse players with zero upside like Andrew Campbell get chance after chance.

I hate my team. A lot.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm

Thanks, good call about Pronger and Niedermayer.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Why does anyone care why you bumped a thread?

I'd take Jones, but it's too close to really tell at this point IMO.

Because I am very, very bored of people talking about his hype. There is a reason why this thread is never bumped unless it's to talk about his hype and that's because so few people have actually watched Hanifin enough to have an opinion on him.

snizzbone*

Dream scenario:

Arizona takes Marner 3rd.
Leafs skip on the 6'3" center from Toronto and pick up an American College player in Hanifin.

Cherry would lose his mind (if he hasn't already).

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I can't see the Leafs taking Hanifin. They already have enough puck moving Dmen that aren't overly physical. If the Leafs are looking to replace Phaneuf than Hanifin isn't the guy. Marner really isn't a fit, either.I would not be surprised if the top 5 went like this:

1) Edm- McDavid
2) Buf- Eichel
3) AZ- Strome
4) Tor- Provorov
5) Car- Hanifin

uhm....yeah...no

Please enlighten all of us and tell us why Marner isn't a fit on Toronto? There is no way in hell the Leafs are bypassing Hanifin and Marner to take Provorov

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
I really hope this is the leafs pick at 4 if he's still there.

How would you compare him to Hedman, Jones, Ekblad in terms of hockey IQ.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

Watched that team a lot back in the day, and they played together a fair bit. Pretty much always played together on the PP, Carlyle would split them up decently often at ES to keep one of them on the ice, but they played together a lot too at ES, and were very good as a pairing, I could be wrong but feel like they played together about half the time at ES. I think they're a good example of how, if you have 2 elite dmen, they're going to dominate whether they play together or apart, but they did play together quite often.

A recent example of top-notch dmen who rarely play together is Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk. Almost always play on different pairings at ES, and don't play together much on the PP either (where Shatty is generally the only dman on the 1st unit, out there with 4 forwards, while Pietrangelo/Bouwmeester man the 2nd PP unit).

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
Any Good NHL Comparisons. Haven't had the chance to watch him play. And not a huge fan of highlights( can make any player look amazing).

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

That would be straight up crazy! No such thing as an easy goal against Arizona if this was the case!

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Any Good NHL Comparisons. Haven't had the chance to watch him play. And not a huge fan of highlights( can make any player look amazing).

The most common name I've seen thrown about is Ryan Suter.

Not flashy ala Karlsson/Doughty/Subban, but very strong hockey IQ with fantastic skating and strong overall game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad