LD Miro Heiskanen - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2017, 3rd, DAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
I can't see him going to the AHL. He's already tearing apart a men's league with no remorse. The kid's ready.

Could be. Then again, different rink sizes and increasing physicality plus long-time NHL coaches seem to have a habit of calling-up younger high-level talent mid-season, rather than sticking with them from opening day to the end of the season.

DieTomi

Auston "50 Goals" Matthews
Aug 4, 2017
Hamilton
Could be. Then again, different rink sizes and increasing physicality plus long-time NHL coaches seem to have a habit of calling-up younger high-level talent mid-season, rather than sticking with them from opening day to the end of the season.
He's got all the tools to learn the game at the highest level imo. But you're right, only time will tell.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I don't see Heiskanen playing in AHL even for a minute. His elite skating and hockey IQ should make it easier for him to adapt into NHL hockey than with most good young defence prospects.

If the coach feels he isn't physically there yet, play him with some stay at home guy so Heiskanen can focus more on creating offence.

Reactions: Kcb12345 and LAINEC

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
He made many mistakes at WJCs because of smaller rink because game was much faster. He is still very young defenseman and they take little longer to develope. He was pretty late born draftee so i would not rush him. He has not much to learn in FEL anymore but i would put him to AHL for beginning of next year to get him used to fast pace game but he is more ready than Ristolainen at same age who was pretty much forced to play in NHL despite of his defensive game being bad. Heiskanen is defensively really good and offensively he has tool to become effective player. KHL/Jokerit is not bad option but doubtful.

People really underestimates gap of FEL and NHL. It is absurd to think that Heiskanen is lock to be effective player in NHL next year. I am extremely high on Heiskanen but i think he it is possible for him to play in minors next year or play ok rookie year flashing his brilliance here and there. I would be really suprised if he is making much noise next year but having quietly solid rookie season. I think he has ceiling to be Duncan Keith type of player. I know that Keith is special player and maybe future HHOF calibre but Heiskanen if he reaches his potential and ceiling he can be that kind of player. It is likely? Maybe not but he has all the tools but has to put them together.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
He made many mistakes at WJCs because of smaller rink because game was much faster. He is still very young defenseman and they take little longer to develope. He was pretty late born draftee so i would not rush him. He has not much to learn in FEL anymore but i would put him to AHL for beginning of next year to get him used to fast pace game but he is more ready than Ristolainen at same age who was pretty much forced to play in NHL despite of his defensive game being bad. Heiskanen is defensively really good and offensively he has tool to become effective player. KHL/Jokerit is not bad option but doubtful.

People really underestimates gap of FEL and NHL. It is absurd to think that Heiskanen is lock to be effective player in NHL next year. I am extremely high on Heiskanen but i think he it is possible for him to play in minors next year or play ok rookie year flashing his brilliance here and there. I would be really suprised if he is making much noise next year but having quietly solid rookie season. I think he has ceiling to be Duncan Keith type of player. I know that Keith is special player and maybe future HHOF calibre but Heiskanen if he reaches his potential and ceiling he can be that kind of player. It is likely? Maybe not but he has all the tools but has to put them together.

The thing about going to the NHL is it is easier for players. Playing in the AHL is actually harder. The reason I say that is the talent around you is able to think the game on the same level as a high-end prospect and is going to be in the right spots and the right time. In the AHL it is a way less controlled game and more dump/chase bang and crash and lots of scrambling havoc.

Heiskanen will have an easier time in the NHL because the players around him will have much greater talent and will work with his game a lot better than some of the career AHLers/weak prospects/4 year NCAA players playing first year pro in the AHL.

Reactions: Ookhaab and LAINEC

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Its been stated many times before...but miro played with a bad shoulder at the wjc. He missed many games for HIFK leading up to the tourney and missed several more after the tourney due to this ailment. So let's not judge the kid based on that.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo

Is it absurd to think that Dahlin will be effective next year?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Is it absurd to think that Dahlin will be effective next year?
Wouldn’t count on it really. He might of course be, but I wouldn’t still count on it as a sure thing. Young players are still having many issues that can affect their transition to the NHL in either good or bad way and talent just by itself will not always make them immediately successful.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
The thing about going to the NHL is it is easier for players. Playing in the AHL is actually harder. The reason I say that is the talent around you is able to think the game on the same level as a high-end prospect and is going to be in the right spots and the right time. In the AHL it is a way less controlled game and more dump/chase bang and crash and lots of scrambling havoc.

Heiskanen will have an easier time in the NHL because the players around him will have much greater talent and will work with his game a lot better than some of the career AHLers/weak prospects/4 year NCAA players playing first year pro in the AHL.

NHL is easier for younger players than AHL? That sounds funny. Yes you play with better guys but you also play against much better players there is reason why younger players play AHL to prepare themselves to the NHL. I agree that NHL is more structured but it still whole different world than european large rink. At WJC’s Heiskanen looked shaky because he seemed to be hurry all the time because he wasn’t used to fast paced small rink game. Välimäki and Jokiharju in the other hand looked that they had all the time and space in the world.

Dallas stars is having huge pressure to make playoffs next year. They have really talented group of players but have failed reaching playoffs last couple years. They will pick best team from preseason. I think that Heiskanen will have shot to prove that he belongs to NHL but it is far for certain him to be in NHL roster or be effective NHL player for full season.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
NHL is easier for younger players than AHL? That sounds funny. Yes you play with better guys but you also play against much better players there is reason why younger players play AHL to prepare themselves to the NHL. I agree that NHL is more structured but it still whole different world than european large rink. At WJC’s Heiskanen looked shaky because he seemed to be hurry all the time because he wasn’t used to fast paced small rink game. Välimäki and Jokiharju in the other hand looked that they had all the time and space in the world.

Dallas stars is having huge pressure to make playoffs next year. They have really talented group of players but have failed reaching playoffs last couple years. They will pick best team from preseason. I think that Heiskanen will have shot to prove that he belongs to NHL but it is far for certain him to be in NHL roster or be effective NHL player for full season.

I disagree with your point that Heiskanen looked "shaky" at the world juniors. Heiskanen wasn't at his best but far from shaky even with his injury. His poise and defensive iq at the wjc was on full display, it was his offensive game that was hindered. He did not show off his offensive game as he was just attempting to keep it safe limiting the effects of his injury. If his game was shaky his coach wouldn't have had him one of the leaders of toi for the wjcs.

Players like Heiskanen, who have exceptional hockey iq, dont take long to adapt. He is going to be in the NHL next season unless something unexpected happens, unlikely but he might play in the AHL for a handfull of games but will quickly show he is too good for the league. Klingberg came over after never consistently playing on NA ice and he instantly dominated the AHL with ease. Pressure of the stars should not even be considered, hes a very confident kid so he'll handle it with ease. I believe and predict that he will make the NHL roster next year out of the gate but play him in a semi limited role and as his confidence and slightly needed adaptation occurs his role will gradually grow throughout the season.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

I didn't say it was easier for younger players than the AHL. I said it is easier for high IQ high end prospects. Players who make the tough plays, slick passes, make the breakouts.. obviously it isn't easier for a 3rd round OHL player who is going first year pro.

Reactions: Ippenator

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I would say he may have looked like that due to injury and not playing to his strenghts.

WJC at this point means nothing, he's a dominating force from the blueline at 18y in a pro league.
Few pre season games+ few regular season games to get used to the rink he should be good to go.

AHL nor Liiga should be the #1 option right now, it's NHL.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX

Scored a goal.

2+5 in 8 playoff games now. This one has just started.

He has played 26 minutes on average in playoffs, and his +/- is +11.

What a ****ing champion

He had his stick up ready to blast from the point and it drew coverage in the slot opening up easy passing lanes for HIFK on their 2nd goal too.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I didn't say it was easier for younger players than the AHL. I said it is easier for high IQ high end prospects. Players who make the tough plays, slick passes, make the breakouts.. obviously it isn't easier for a 3rd round OHL player who is going first year pro.
This post shows very good understanding of how great hockey IQ affects adjusting to the top level. A great post!:clap:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Replays of his goal today that was previously posted in this thread. Really hope he gets a NHL chance next year. Hitchcock and Jim Nill scare me when it comes to kids getting a NHL shot

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Dominant game again despite HIFK losing. Heiskanen controls all aspects of the game, from stopping a rush, digging the puck out in the corner and then kickstarting the attack. Felt like he was on the ice every other shift in the third.

Reactions: Kcb12345
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad