LD Jakob Chychrun - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2016 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
MacInnis was born and grew up his entire life in the USA, who cares what country his parents are from. How is that disheartening?

Chychrun grew up in Florida and Michigan, which makes the decision to play for Canada somewhat puzzling. In the end its his choice, but I find it odd considering his circumstances. He wasnt born in Canada, didnt grow up in Canada, and didnt play in Canada until this year. Will his teammates even consider him Canadian? Will they consider Day Canadian? Even though Day doesnt have US citizenship, but spent his entire life in the US. Theres been rumors in the past of dual players on both the US and Canada being somewhat not accepted because of their dual citizenship.

You can make the argument about Galchenyuk, but at least he was actually born in the US. Cagney is right, all this dual citizen stuff is nuts.

MacInnis is a Cape Breton thing. The region doesn't have much, so it sucks when by far the best player to ever come from the area by a mile has a son that plays for another country. Obviously Ryan MacInnis should play for USA though.

Chychrun is a monster out there at the U17. I was shocked when I read in the program that he's a 98. Looks like a potential great player. Still, I hate that he is playing for one of the Canadian regions. Same with Day. Plain and simple, Chychrun is an American hockey product. Yes his father is a Canadian hockey player and he presumably spent some time in Canada, but it is mainly USA that made him into the player he is. I would not want him (or Day) on any team Canada going forward, regardless of how good he is.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Well if he wants to play for Team Canada then he's more then welcome to. Canada does a lot of developing of prospects for other nations as well so it's nice to have a few dual citizens choose Canada.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
MacInnis is a Cape Breton thing. The region doesn't have much, so it sucks when by far the best player to ever come from the area by a mile has a son that plays for another country. Obviously Ryan MacInnis should play for USA though.

Chychrun is a monster out there at the U17. I was shocked when I read in the program that he's a 98. Looks like a potential great player. Still, I hate that he is playing for one of the Canadian regions. Same with Day. Plain and simple, Chychrun is an American hockey product. Yes his father is a Canadian hockey player and he presumably spent some time in Canada, but it is mainly USA that made him into the player he is. I would not want him (or Day) on any team Canada going forward, regardless of how good he is.

So someone who's profession brings him to another country has no say in his offsprings nationality. I find that ridiculous.

As a Canadian it pisses me off that so many Canadians have to ply their trade in the USA in the first place.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Did he play for Canada or Usa at u17s
Chychrun played for Canada/Ontario.

I'll also pass along two reports on Chychrun from around the web: (1) RLR's Kyle Woodlief said he’s “an absolute lock to be the No. 1 overall pick in the OHL draft this year†and prefers Chychrun to Day as he's more physical; and (2) Sean Lafortune notes his skating and decision making.

SeanLafortune

@SeanLafortune
Jun 13, 2013
www.thescout.ca
Every year we do 4-5 OHL Draft ISO videos for those who don't get the opportunity to see these kids like we do in Ontario.

Figured id share our Chychrun video, one that was completed this week.

Don't want to spoil it, but the goal at 4:45 was all kinds of special.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Chychrun played for Canada/Ontario.

I'll also pass along two reports on Chychrun from around the web: (1) RLR's Kyle Woodlief said he’s “an absolute lock to be the No. 1 overall pick in the OHL draft this year” and prefers Chychrun to Day as he's more physical; and (2) Sean Lafortune notes his skating and decision making.

I myself prefer Chychrun to Day, Chychrun physical side and hockey sense dwarf Day's by far, Day is a whole lot of skill and not enough tool box to hold it all....Chychrun is a guy who put it all together right now and imo is a bit ahead of Day. I always have a problem with how many special exceptions the OHL has, Day, Ekblad IMO should never have been brought up to the league so early, sometimes it does not help development, if the player is special then do it but not every best player who is a year younger for the draft, im not saying it is hurting a guy like say Ekblad as the guy is ranked to go top 3 and potential 1st overall for this years NHL draft BUT he was not super special but it bugs me because other leagues do not bring up every Jeremy Roy, Nathan Noel, Matthew Barzal, Tyler Benson who comes around.

To get back on topic, Chychrun will be more of a franchise defender than Day, hockey sense will take a player a lot further than just skill alone...look at Rico Fata vs Brad Richards....Fata's skill in that draft was a lot better than Richards but Richards hockey sense has made a great career compared to Fata.

Last edited:

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I myself prefer Chychrun to Day, Chychrun physical side and hockey sense dwarf Day's by far, Day is a whole lot of skill and not enough tool box to hold it all....Chychrun is a guy who put it all together right now and imo is a bit ahead of Day. I always have a problem with how many special exceptions the OHL has, Day, Ekblad IMO should never have been brought up to the league so early, sometimes it does not help development, if the player is special then do it but not every best player who is a year younger for the draft, im not saying it is hurting a guy like say Ekblad as the guy is ranked to go top 3 and potential 1st overall for this years NHL draft BUT he was not super special but it bugs me because other leagues do not bring up every Jeremy Roy, Nathan Noel, Matthew Barzal, Tyler Benson who comes around.

To get back on topic, Chychrun will be more of a franchise defender than Day, hockey sense will take a player a lot further than just skill alone...look at Rico Fata vs Brad Richards....Fata's skill in that draft was a lot better than Richards but Richards hockey sense has made a great career compared to Fata.

What are their NHL comparables?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Thought i'd bump this now the OHL season is done.

unless i've heard wrong, he's fine reporting to the Sting if selected #1 (which I imagine they would)...and I get the impression he is very enthused at going #1 overall (meaning, he, and his family, don't seem interested in 'monkey business' re reporting issues).

as far as the 'early bloomer' comments - it's too early to tell whether there's something in that. He definitely does have a significant physical edge at this point - whether that's determinative remains to be seen.

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
Some talk of Sarnia thinking of taking another player at 1, simply because there's a chance Chychrun will only have a 2 year OHL career. Although it's not easy for an 18 year old defenseman to step into the NHL.

I don't think Sarnia will pass on him.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

if sarnia picks him he's 100% ok with going there. he really wants to go 1st.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
Thought i'd bump this now the OHL season is done.

unless i've heard wrong, he's fine reporting to the Sting if selected #1 (which I imagine they would)...and I get the impression he is very enthused at going #1 overall (meaning, he, and his family, don't seem interested in 'monkey business' re reporting issues).

as far as the 'early bloomer' comments - it's too early to tell whether there's something in that. He definitely does have a significant physical edge at this point - whether that's determinative remains to be seen.

Good point on too early
From what I have seen of him he is not the finesse skater of DAy but this guy has talent.i don't know if top two defence but certainly top four talent.
I like his on ice presence.
He is the most ready pro at that age I have ever seen.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Sarnia held a presser today to announce that they're selecting Chychrun with the first overall pick tomorrow in the 2014 OHL Priority Selection. Their staff described him as "a special kind of player that doesn’t come around too often. He is a prototypical modern age defenseman that can do it all. He is a rare combination of size, speed, and strength, but his greatest asset as a player is his hockey sense. He has shown that he can make plays that other players don’t often even see."

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
Sarnia held a presser today to announce that they're selecting Chychrun with the first overall pick tomorrow in the 2014 OHL Priority Selection. Their staff described him as "a special kind of player that doesn’t come around too often. He is a prototypical modern age defenseman that can do it all. He is a rare combination of size, speed, and strength, but his greatest asset as a player is his hockey sense. He has shown that he can make plays that other players don’t often even see."

yep, this guy is a dandy. He will be real leader. One more notch up to become a Scott Stevens.

Canadian Kid

Sep 28, 2014

well they are both going to be playing for the greatest hockey nation in the world, the one with back to back olympic golds :)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
why wouldn't he rather play for canada, they've beaten the americans in two straight olympics

Ok, stop boasting other than that Canada hasn't been winning much else. Plus he would have a better chance to represent USA given Canada's depth at the mens level. That being said I hope he chooses Canada but there is no place for arrogance.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Whats going on there in the USA. You guys are producing insane group of young defensman. + Theres many more to those guys now and coming

Noah Hanifin - Seth Jones
Jakob Chychrun - Jacob Trouba
Cam Fowler - Justin Faulk

John Gibson
Jack Campbell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad