LD Jakob Chychrun - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2016 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Seriously. There's a picture of him with Kris Letang, and he's considerably bigger than the Pens all-star. My friend is a Minor Midget AAA coach in the GTHL, and he's been just gushing about what a talent/specimen that Chychrun is.

He's playing Sunday at 5pm at Buckingham Arena vs the Marlies. Going to try and get out to that and see him against the powerhouse Marlies in what should be a fantastic game before the Silverstick starts.

BYhdDjICEAAlF5o.jpg:large

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
As of right now Belleville would have the first pick in the draft, and I'd love to be able to see this kid play up close.

I've heard there's a chance he might not play in Belleville if he was drafted here, but I've seen some other people say he's said nothing that would make anyone think he won't report to wherever he's drafted.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing how this man-child performs in the OHL next year

Mar 12, 2009
As of right now Belleville would have the first pick in the draft, and I'd love to be able to see this kid play up close.

I've heard there's a chance he might not play in Belleville if he was drafted here, but I've seen some other people say he's said nothing that would make anyone think he won't report to wherever he's drafted.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing how this man-child performs in the OHL next year

The way Kitchener is playing, I hope we end up getting him.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
The U.S. is losing more of these types of decisions of late. What's interesting is the "losses" haven't really made an impact in international competition - at least at the junior level. I'm thinking of guys like Kozun, Foligno, Myers, and Oleksiak.

Has he stated he'll play for Canada going forward? If he hasn't, I wouldn't read too much into playing for regional teams in this tournament...Musil out west is playing for Team Pacific just like his older brother did and will represent Czech Rep when it comes time to do us... just like older brother did.

Seriously??? This guy is 15? Holy Freak of Nature!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Has he stated he'll play for Canada going forward? If he hasn't, I wouldn't read too much into playing for regional teams in this tournament...Musil out west is playing for Team Pacific just like his older brother did and will represent Czech Rep when it comes time to do us... just like older brother did.

Seriously??? This guy is 15? Holy Freak of Nature!

Not sure. You're right though, until dual-citizens play in an IIHF sanctioned tourney they are fair game. We'll see how things go moving forward. I think the player pool is much more competitive now, so in these cases there is a battle waged between USA Hockey and Hockey Canada. My guess is Hockey Canada is being much more agressive in making sure they don't lose key talent. He is massive for his age though. Will be interesting to see where he tops out (which I think is a consideration for scouts).

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Not sure. You're right though, until dual-citizens play in an IIHF sanctioned tourney they are fair game. We'll see how things go moving forward. I think the player pool is much more competitive now, so in these cases there is a battle waged between USA Hockey and Hockey Canada. My guess is Hockey Canada is being much more agressive in making sure they don't lose key talent. He is massive for his age though. Will be interesting to see where he tops out (which I think is a consideration for scouts).

I was just looking at that yesterday and there's been quite a few since Myers in 09. And all, excluding Myers, I would argue since 2010 did not deserve to be on Team Canada, none! but for some reason HC wants these dual players. I placed a lot of the blame for player selection at the feet of HC's chief scout, Pendergast, but now I'm starting to think that politics is playing a larger role at HC than I thought..And no, I don't consider Couturier a dual. And he did deserve his spot on the team.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I was just looking at that yesterday and there's been quite a few since Myers in 09. And all, excluding Myers, I would argue since 2010 did not deserve to be on Team Canada, none! but for some reason HC wants these dual players. I placed a lot of the blame for player selection at the feet of HC's chief scout, Pendergast, but now I'm starting to think that politics is playing a larger role at HC than I thought..And no, I don't consider Couturier a dual. And he did deserve his spot on the team.

Each case is pretty interesting:

* Myers played for the U.S. at the Ivan Hlinka but then suited up for Canada
* Oleksiak was invited to the U.S. WJC camp in December, didn't make the team and that moved over to Canada the next year
* Kozun was guaranteed a spot with the U.S. but decided to suit up for Canada
* Foligno (Marcus) was guaranteed a spot with the U.S. but decided to suit up for Canada

At the WJC level, I can't rememember the last prominent dual-citizen (American/Canadian) that has suited up for the U.S. after some degree of debate between the federations. Maybe Deadmarsh?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Each case is pretty interesting:

* Myers played for the U.S. at the Ivan Hlinka but then suited up for Canada
* Oleksiak was invited to the U.S. WJC camp in December, didn't make the team and that moved over to Canada the next year
* Kozun was guaranteed a spot with the U.S. but decided to suit up for Canada
* Foligno (Marcus) was guaranteed a spot with the U.S. but decided to suit up for Canada

At the WJC level, I can't rememember the last prominent dual-citizen (American/Canadian) that has suited up for the U.S. after some degree of debate between the federations. Maybe Deadmarsh?

Let's not forget Dylan Olson and Curtis Hamilton in 2011 Both dual citizens. I think RNH and Dougie Hamilton would have been better options. I don't mid losing a freaking hockey game...**** happens!! But I hate losing when better players are off the team for reasons other than hockey. It pisses me off royally.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
It is true, he followed me on twitter hahah and I creeped some of his pictures.

Dude's a ****ing monster for a 15 year old. He's about the same size and as ripped as my Uncle was when he played in the NLL, although my Uncle was about 210-215 so he had a bit of mass on Chychrun.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
16 games, 11 goals and 13 assists and 14 penalty minutes
His stats are actually: 22GP 13-19-32 16PIMs

FYI, GTHL Minor Midget stats are now available right on the GTHL site.
Just hit Games Centre > View Schedules > Standings > Minor Midget AAA > Statistics.

Geese_Howard*

Mckenzie is talking about him on tsn. A man amongst boys is what he called him.

JCF

Feb 28, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Mackenzie just did a little spot of him on TSN Insider Trading, that photo included. He's garnering quite a bit of attention with the whole 15 year old to the U-17 thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad