Post-Game Talk: Lazy effort. Full 60 minutes required

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
It's like I've been saying. There is a template that has circulated aroung the league. You can stop or contain the Leafs. Since the Blues dominated the Leafs, the teams that had followed that (even the lousy ones) have easily won. Unfortunately, the4 coach isn't good enoufgh to make any positive adjustments. Leafs will be dominated in the playoffs, lucky to survive 4 games. The boy genius will be gone and so will be the Canadian Tire Manager coach ( C'mon he does look like a CT Manager doesn't he)?.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
It's like I've been saying. There is a template that has circulated aroung the league. You canb stop or vontain the Leafs. Since the Blues dominated the Leafs, the teams that had followed that (even the lousy ones) have easily won. Unfortunately, the4 coach isn't good enoufgh to make any positive adjustments. Leafs will be dominated in the playoffs, lucky to survive 4 games. The boy genius will be gone and so will be the Canadian Tire Manager coach ( C'mon he does look like a CT Manager doesn't he)?.
well im glad to see theres been no giant overractions at least..lol

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
We just straight up sucked. Don’t like how we’ve been “playing to the level of the competition” recently.

On the bright side, at least we’ve been playing very well against playoff teams. But … this was a poor effort all around. Control of the puck/play was pretty even, when we should be dominating against the Sabres. The Sabres also made fewer mistakes and had better finish.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
well im glad to see theres been no giant overractions at least..lol
Some of these people don't deserve to cheer for a winning team. Don't say a word when we beat all 3 of FLA, TB and Boston in regulation handily and go on to talk about how we have no shot in the playoffs after the first bad game by the team in a while.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
A graphic during the game showed that of the 4 Atlantic playoff teams Toronto has the worst winning percentage vs. non-playoff teams, but the best vs. playoff teams.

Frustrating that they so often no-show against the Buffalos of the league, but they generally bring their A game against potential playoff opponents. I'll take that over the opposite any day.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Team is probably going to set their 100 year record for points, so no reason to panic.

It would be nice if they simplified their game when the checking got tight and the ice was bad.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I'm not normally a guy to blame the goalie. But since Kallgren's first 2 games with the Leafs, where he played well and got 2 wins and a shutout, he's been below NHL quality.

In his 7 appearances since, he's only once been over .900, and only once let in less than 3 goals. It's been atrocious.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Every time Buffalo has beaten the Leafs this year they’ve played them the same way - fast forecheck + tight up the middle, they block shots, box out the middle and hassle the point.

It’s very boring, ugly hockey and Buffalo plays it. No team can do that for seven games but the Leafs can’t adapt to that why?

Matthews could have had a few but his decision making was terrible tonight - passing off to Bunting in the first few minutes of the third only down one.

Speaking of non factors - Bunting hasn’t done anything to move the needle in a few weeks now.

Mitch had his worst game in a loooooooooong time. JT has his worst game in about two weeks. Willy was fine.

Holl has all the tools to be a dream - a 6+ 200+ right shot with some offensive talent, but not as much as he thinks and he does NOT seem to like playing in the corners or clearing the net.

Lyubushkin is better than Holl, but not by nearly enough.

Kampf had his worst game in a while as well, it was okay when he was on that little ‘heater’ he was on, but he got pulled apart on the Buffalo PP.

Brodie has been on the wrong end of a lot of goals lately, time to start lot managing players.

There was no need to play matchmaker with the D - keep Liljegren and Gio together, both looked fine separately.

Kallgren made some okay saves but he spends a ton of time not knowing where the puck is, and that third goal he was beaten clean can’t happen. He’s earned himself the inside track for the backup job next year, but there’s a lot to work on.

I wouldn’t mind Blackwell getting a small bump, he’s speedy and tenacious.

Nice to give Abruzesse some games but he’s nowhere near ready, falls down at least once a shift. Look at a guy like Robertson; that’s what a near ready prospect looks like.

I can sort of Understand their pov- even I’m having a hard time keeping invested with the playoffs clinched since December, but that was unacceptable.
Seems like if this was a real analysis, every other coach in the NHL would pick up on it and implement the same game plan.

Or... who gives a hoot about Buffalo and they didn't bring their A game.

For those not involved at a pro level that equate a Tue game against a bottom dweller with a Sat game against a division rival..

I have zero idea how to help you. Pro sports is not your 9-5 job.
100%. If this trend continues, we will never be able to overcome our terrible coaching and goaltending.
DM if anyone of you are reading this and involved in Pro Sports. If not, get over yourselves and stop with the drama

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Year after year decade after decade, the Leafs can't beat Buffalo. The stats say it all. Sure the Leafs go through short spurts when they have the winning edge, but on the bigger scale Buffalo will always beat the Leafs. LOL to everyone who bet on a Leafs win- always bet on the Leafs LOSING against the Sabres and there's a really good chance of cashing in on it. It's been this way since 1970 and has never changed since.

It's a headscratcher for sure because it doesn't matter what players each team ices over the decades, the fact remains that Toronto just can't beat Buffalo. Look up the all-time win vs. losses stats and the verification is there- it's nuts.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
Good thing we'll never have to worry about playing the Sabres in the playoffs

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I'm not normally a guy to blame the goalie. But since Kallgren's first 2 games with the Leafs, where he played well and got 2 wins and a shutout, he's been below NHL quality.

In his 7 appearances since, he's only once been over .900, and only once let in less than 3 goals. It's been atrocious.
Overall, ya, he's been an average to below average starter. Tonight, I didn't see a goal that I rhought he had to have. For the record, I never saw rheir 2nd goal.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Some of these people don't deserve to cheer for a winning team. Don't say a word when we beat all 3 of FLA, TB and Boston in regulation handily and go on to talk about how we have no shot in the playoffs after the first bad game by the team in a while.
ye lol, im critical when i feel its warranted. but this chicken little stuff is just sad to see.
imagine living your life that way. sports should be fun...not make u crazy lol

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Buffalo outworked, outhustled, and outplayed us; no surprise they outscored us.

It often looked like they had six or even seven skaters on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad