Post-Game Talk: Lazy effort. Full 60 minutes required

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
An elite winger who has the potential to be one of the best player on the ice when he wants to be, has the propensity to take days off.

This is what most people regard William as.

This isn't the "gotchya" moment that you thought it was.
That guy will complain about Willy's game when he had a point and controlled the bulk of the expected goals but won't say anything about JT, Boosh, Holl, Brodie, the first line (tonight they sucked), etc. What a dingus.

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
Some cup hoisting/banner raising going on over in Buffalo.
Nothing much new here. Toronto taking a night off against a lower echelon team and lower echelon team pulling out all the stops. These are pro teams even if they have 35 fewer points and are 21 slots below us in league standings. Low effort will yield these results.
All I really got from this is further affirmation that Holl should be our eight D

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not concerned about their effort tonight in regards to how I perceive them overall as a team or how they will be in the playoffs. With that said, one of my major concerns for the playoffs is the goaltending. Campbell has had to sit again due to a mysterious ailment that isn't due to his rib injury. If he doesn't get a proper chance to find a rhythm and get into some games, he won't be at the even .910% level.

Campbell, Mrazek and Kallgren have all given rather subpar goaltending if you look at the bulk of their games since December 15th. All three have had a massive amount of sub .900% 3GAA+ games. Our team save percentage since December 15th has dipped up and down close to dead last in the NHL for four months.

So, it's not their drive, passion, skill, talent when it comes to their playoff readiness, at least not our forward group and for the most part, our defensive core. We have a career back-up goaltender as our starter in the playoffs and for the MOST part, he's been rather bad for the last 4 months. Kallgren has a good game here and there, but mostly his games have been sub .900% 3 to 4GAA, expected from a rookie with 10 games of NHL experience.

Call me a overreactor if you want to, but I can just see Florida, Tampa or Boston feasting on our goaltending in the first round. We've already seen glimpses of it numerous times over the last four months.

This team is really good, but their goaltending is not. It just really isn't. I wouldn't even call .880% to .890% since December 15th average goaltending, that's bottom of the barrel bad.

I've mentioned this numerous times over the last 3-4 months, I usually get a lot of pushback from others, which I totally understand. It's just my opinions, as negative as they are, I can't in good faith paint picket fences when there's shit on them. Doesn't work that way for me.

I hope they prove me wrong or that Toronto can outscore their problems like they did in January especially. Not the best way to get far in the playoffs, but it may work a round... maybe.

I hope that excitement and hype comes back for me. It's been non-existent for a few months now. Watching Marner and Matthews has hyped me up for watching the regular season games, watching them make regular season records, but I want more, I need more.

Dubas should've tried harder to get SOMETHING at the deadline. No, I don't mean Sateri. I just have very little faith in Kallgren, Mrazek and zero faith if it comes to Hutchinson.

There's SOME hope for me if Campbell can stay healthy. I know he can give .910 to .920% in the playoffs, he did it last season. However, if he has a bad game, gets pulled or is injured, it's lights out and that gives me an uneasy feeling, not a feeling of overwhelming joy, hype and excitement like I would love to have at this time of the season.

I hate being negative, but at the same time, I hate acting like every thing is perfect when it's not. I give praise when it's deserved, but I give criticism when it's deserved as well.

Mopar

May 3, 2021
Holl and Boosh should both be sitting if/when the D is healthy.

We need to put our absolute best foot forward and ice the best possible roster for Game 1. Then pray for a miracle in net.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Why do the Leafs keep being out played by bottom feeders.
Losing while playing all out and hard is one thing but losing while being outplayed by Sabres 3 times is a bit ridiculous.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I'm not concerned about their effort tonight in regards to how I perceive them overall as a team or how they will be in the playoffs. With that said, one of my major concerns for the playoffs is the goaltending. Campbell has had to sit again due to a mysterious ailment that isn't due to his rib injury. If he doesn't get a proper chance to find a rhythm and get into some games, he won't be at the even .910% level.

Campbell, Mrazek and Kallgren have all given rather subpar goaltending if you look at the bulk of their games since December 15th. All three have had a massive amount of sub .900% 3GAA+ games. Our team save percentage since December 15th has dipped up and down close to dead last in the NHL for four months.

So, it's not their drive, passion, skill, talent when it comes to their playoff readiness, at least not our forward group and for the most part, our defensive core. We have a career back-up goaltender as our starter in the playoffs and for the MOST part, he's been rather bad for the last 4 months. Kallgren has a good game here and there, but mostly his games have been sub .900% 3 to 4GAA, expected from a rookie with 10 games of NHL experience.

Call me a overreactor if you want to, but I can just see Florida, Tampa or Boston feasting on our goaltending in the first round. We've already seen glimpses of it numerous times over the last four months.

This team is really good, but their goaltending is not. It just really isn't. I wouldn't even call .880% to .890% since December 15th average goaltending, that's bottom of the barrel bad.

I've mentioned this numerous times over the last 3-4 months, I usually get a lot of pushback from others, which I totally understand. It's just my opinions, as negative as they are, I can't in good faith paint picket fences when there's shit on them. Doesn't work that way for me.

I hope they prove me wrong or that Toronto can outscore their problems like they did in January especially. Not the best way to get far in the playoffs, but it may work a round... maybe.

I hope that excitement and hype comes back for me. It's been non-existent for a few months now. Watching Marner and Matthews has hyped me up for watching the regular season games, watching them make regular season records, but I want more, I need more.

Dubas should've tried harder to get SOMETHING at the deadline. No, I don't mean Sateri. I just have very little faith in Kallgren, Mrazek and zero faith if it comes to Hutchinson.

There's SOME hope for me if Campbell can stay healthy. I know he can give .910 to .920% in the playoffs, he did it last season. However, if he has a bad game, gets pulled or is injured, it's lights out and that gives me an uneasy feeling, not a feeling of overwhelming joy, hype and excitement like I would love to have at this time of the season.

I hate being negative, but at the same time, I hate acting like every thing is perfect when it's not. I give praise when it's deserved, but I give criticism when it's deserved as well.

Dubas is still pissing me off with his cap management. The reason why we are running with a "career backup" in net is directly because of that. We can not afford anyone else. If we lose in the 1st or even 2nd round, I hope this Dubas nightmare will come to an end.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Why do the Leafs keep being out played by bottom feeders.
Losing while playing all out and hard is one thing but losing while being outplayed by Sabres 3 times is a bit ridiculous.

I mean any self-respecting Leafs fan knew we would lose this game.

I'm more upset that Matthews didn't get any points.

Looks like we play the Caps next, so potentially a win.

Bottom feeder? Meh prepare to lose.

Captain14

Jan 3, 2018
Buffalo, NY
Dubas is still pissing me off with his cap management. The reason why we are running with a "career backup" in net is directly because of that. We can not afford anyone else. If we lose in the 1st or even 2nd round, I hope this Dubas nightmare will come to an end.
Not to mention being unable to bring in quality bottom 6 players

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

It's one thing to be concerned about the goaltending. It's another thing to think Florida, Tampa and Boston "feast" on us despite all of them getting dusted in the season series against us. This is a good team that can beat anyone with the goaltending they have. As for Dubas who was he realistically going to get? No goalie that's a difference maker was available outside of maybe Fleury who couldn't fit under our cap without max retention and probably wasn't even going to waive.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have to ask... how does Hole, err Holl have a 10-team NTC? He was again by far the weakest link on the Leaf blueline.

Reactions: ACC1224

Enniskillen

Jan 16, 2021
Not too meaningful game, let sabres celebrate their stanley cup and series win. All guys played like sh.t except Kerfoot and Liljegren.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

.. No it's because Campbell showed some potential as being a 1A goaltender. And why they pursued a 1B option. Collectively, the Leafs are spending probably close to league average goaltending.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Not to mention being unable to bring in quality bottom 6 players
Excuse me? Our third line has been lights out and between Blackwell, Abruzzese, maybe Knies, Robertson, Steeves, etc you should be able to have a serviceable if not good fourth line. The only reason our fourth line is bad is because the organization including Keefe is infatuated with having trash players like Simmonds and Clifford on the roster and playing.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Another loss, and another end of days PGT. Whatever happened to 'nothing matters until the playoffs'? They played like crap. I don't think I've seen a game this year where more passes were missed, less interest was displayed, and more people were responsible for this result. That said, I don't think it marks the team as done like dinner. It just shows that when a good team takes the night off they can be beat by any team in the league.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I have to ask... how does Hole, err Holl have a 10-team NTC? He was again by far the weakest link on the Leaf blueline.

He had a nice breakout season a few years back on the bottom pair and then excelled with Muzzin, forming a very solid top 4 pairing for a couple of years. This year, with Muzzin struggling, Holl has also had his struggles. He rebounded for a bit after Muzzin was injured, but certainly is struggling a bit.

I suspect the NTC was given for the extra term in his contract a few years ago.

He's a solid #5 that was able to compliment a top 4 d-man (Muzzin). But as Muzzin has decline to age, Holl clearly can't carry the pairing.

His best stretch this season was when he was paired with Brodie - another legit top 4 d-man.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
.. No it's because Campbell showed some potential as being a 1A goaltender. And why they pursued a 1B option. Collectively, the Leafs are spending probably close to league average goaltending.

I would venture to guess the Leafs $5.45 million on Campbell and Mrazek would rank in the bottom 10 for cap allocation on goalies. Just think of all the individual goalies who are paid more than $5 million in the game.

Reactions: CDN24

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I would venture to guess the Leafs $5.45 million on Campbell and Mrazek would rank in the bottom 10 for cap allocation on goalies. Just think of all the individual goalies who are paid more than $5 million in the game.

I took a quick look before posting. It was mental math and you're probably right. but there are a lot of teams around the $6 million mark. So there is not a substantial difference IMO.

Arizona
Dallas
San Jose
Pittsburgh
Phili
Boston
Washington
Vegas
Colorado

Are all under $6 million for their goaltending tandems. A lot of teams range from $6-$7.5 .. Obviously a few are $10+ mill for some of those lofty deals.

Captain14

Jan 3, 2018
Buffalo, NY
Excuse me? Our third line has been lights out and between Blackwell, Abruzzese, maybe Knies, Robertson, Steeves, etc you should be able to have a serviceable if not good fourth line. The only reason our fourth line is bad is because the organization including Keefe is infatuated with having trash players like Simmonds and Clifford on the roster and playing.
Fair enough. The third line has been good. We can’t afford a fourth line.
There is a reason why the same teams always seem to be contenders every year. Balanced Rosters. Rosters that fully buy in with a will to win at all costs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad