GDT: Late Night Talkin | CBJ @ SJ | 10:30 PM EST

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I wouldn't blame him one bit for doing so.

He's a lieutenant on a completely rudderless ship. Someone posted that Jarmo is in Cleveland doing something for the team. They can't even competently fire somebody.

McConnell (according to a poster here) may not be in good health. Priest (once again according to a poster on this site) was shaking visibly during his press conference. JD is over 70 and has had a bunch of back surgeries including one recently, so he's probably so hopped up on pain pills that he probably isn't capable of making competent decisions.

While I don't think that Vincent isn't much of a coach and probably will never be an NHL HC again, I certainly can't blame him for trying to win games at all costs. There's an obvious vacuum in leadership and there may not even be a coherent organizational strategy in place regarding the goals for the remainder of this lost season. I can't even imagine having my career hanging in the balance working for an organization that obviously doesn't have all-maybe any-of its oars in the water.
He was watching a Monsters game (probably on AHL.tv for all I know) and JD said he "might" do something for the team down the road. He's getting paid regardless because of his contract so I seriously doubt he is doing anything now but after some time passes they might have him do some light scouting from a distance.

I have no insight into McConnell, it's JD's health in question for his long absences early this season and I saw nothing about Mike Priest "shaking" that warrants any concern. Even if he has a physical condition of some sort it's not like we are asking him to go out and run the morning skate.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He's a lieutenant on a completely rudderless ship. Someone posted that Jarmo is in Cleveland doing something for the team. They can't even competently fire somebody.
Having a “fired” person continue to do work while under contract is not an uncommon thing. Hense why they said “relieved of their duties” and not fired.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Having a “fired” person continue to do work while under contract is not an uncommon thing. Hense why they said “relieved of their duties” and not fired.

Not to mention that most of us that wanted Jarmo to go still appreciate the drafting. If he wants to keep doing that I have zero problems with it.

Maybe KJ and Silly struggled but does it seem Vincent is coaching to win games and perhaps save his job rather than get the kids more experience. AP went on a strong rant on his podcast about not liking the way the kids are not getting playing time in important situations. Then Chris Clark kind of emphasized this in his interview with BobbyMac and Jody when he talked about the Monsters playing the prospects in key situations rather than always leaning on the veterans despite being in a playoff race...that he wants to win but more importantly he wants to develop.

I mean seriously, the season is over and Boone plays like 24 minutes per game the last two games against two cellar teams. We are not in the playoff race...hand the rest of the season over to the future and let them loose.

Ice time is accountability. I have no problems with the kids having accountability. Obviously it's different when it is an every night thing, but game to game we want the coach to demand more from them.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Not to mention that most of us that wanted Jarmo to go still appreciate the drafting. If he wants to keep doing that I have zero problems with it.
Jarmo's input on this year's drafting is already known internally. He's not going to add any new information to the group deciding on the picks.

His further presence would hinder the process not help it. The dynamic of having a guy who had the ultimate authority in the process for over a decade still remain part of the decision-making team after being fired would not be healthy. No sane organization would do it. So the CBJ very well might.

I wonder how many other NHL teams have fired their GM who wants to be a GM for another team at some point and then let them play part in their next draft. Rhetorical question.

Last edited:
Reactions: EspenK

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Included in his duties was overseeing the scouting process.

So, I guess-by your definition-he was "relieved of some of his duties". C'mon!

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Included in his duties was overseeing the scouting process.

So, I guess-by your definition-he was "relieved of some of his duties". C'mon!
Correct, he was relieved of his duties as General Manager. That's literally how its worded in the press release. He was not terminated, he was not "fired". He will not be signing, trading, or representing the team in any way outside of scouting on the pro/amateur level. Its so the guy doesn't get paid to do nothing.

The time was right (or overdue) to move on from Jarmo. That doesn't discount his years of knowledge and experience he brings to the table. If he's going to be a scout/consultant for us until his contract expires or another team comes knocking, that is completely fine in my book.

Reactions: majormajor

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Correct, he was relieved of his duties as General Manager. That's literally how its worded in the press release. He was not terminated, he was not fired. He will not be signing, trading, or representing the team in any way outside of scouting on the pro/amateur level. Its so the guy doesn't get paid to do nothing.

The time was right (or overdue) to move on from Jarmo. That doesn't discount his years of knowledge and experience he brings to the table. If he's going to be a scout/consultant for us until his contract expires or another team comes knocking, that is completely fine in my book.
A position that is commonly expressed on this board (and one that I agree with) is that the team is not well constructed. Why in the world would one allow the architect of such a team have any influence upon the future structure of that team?

The CBJ cost regarding Jarmo is a sunk cost. Further, a scout probably makes less than $100k per year and Jarmo was at several million per year so the "value" that he would give is miniscule in relation to his contract.

Jarmo should be history in every way, shape and form at this point.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
A position that is commonly expressed on this board (and one that I agree with) is that the team is not well constructed. Why in the world would one allow the architect of such a team have any influence upon the future structure of that team?

The CBJ cost regarding Jarmo is a sunk cost. Further, a scout probably makes less than $100k per year and Jarmo was at several million per year so the "value" that he would give is miniscule in relation to his contract.

I don't think JD is going to be running to Jarmo and asking what he thinks about XYZ.

Ownership is paying him regardless and there's nothing they can do about it. Rather than having him sit at home and do nothing, like they're doing with Babcock, might as well put his 30+ years of hockey to work. I don't see any problem with that, and I don't really understand why people would be upset by it. IMO, its like if people were upset with Aaron Johnson being the players relations manager or whatever he is, just because he's Nash's friend.

In the end, you probably won't ever hear from Jarmo again regarding working for the Jackets. Which is what people wanted. So, if he's in the background for a year and a half, does it really even matter? I just think its a nothing burger personally.

Reactions: majormajor

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

So he's no longer involved with team personnel decisions. That's what we wanted.

He's being replaced. He's still getting paid regardless and until someone buys him out on that contract to hire him he'll do very little if anything at all. Let's not pretend he's going to be involved in day to day operations of the team. Let's not blow out of proportion JD saying "he might do some stuff for us down the road".

They aren't going to demean him and ask him to clean the bathrooms of the building but he does have some skills that could be worthwhile once things have settled and he's still under contract.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
So he's no longer involved with team personnel decisions. That's what we wanted.

He's being replaced. He's still getting paid regardless and until someone buys him out on that contract to hire him he'll do very little if anything at all. Let's not pretend he's going to be involved in day to day operations of the team. Let's not blow out of proportion JD saying "he might do some stuff for us down the road".

They aren't going to demean him and ask him to clean the bathrooms of the building but he does have some skills that could be worthwhile once things have settled and he's still under contract.
Then why have him around at all?

Blows my mind that people want to keep him around after he's been fired. Very odd thinking. Have you ever worked for an organization where the head guy was fired yet kept around?

JD again exposed himself as a weak fool. Can't even fire a guy unconditionally.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Then why have him around at all?

Blows my mind that people want to keep him around after he's been fired. Very odd thinking.
Nobody has said they “want him around.” Not once. Just pointing out how things go in hockey. It’s not just a CBJ thing.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Nobody has said they “want him around.” Not once. Just pointing out how things go in hockey. It’s not just a CBJ thing.
Then have him leave. LOL. No, it's not a hockey thing. If they were to have reassigned him to another role, then they should have done that at this dismissal. He should play no role in the organization whatsoever. He had his chance. His time is over.

Reactions: DJA and EspenK

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Then have him leave. LOL. No, it's not a hockey thing. If they were to have reassigned him to another role, then they should have done that at this dismissal.
He is not reassigned to another role. He is relieved of his GM duties, yet still technically employed by the organization. Thus, he is doing work for the organization. What you are advocating for is a termination, which he would still be getting paid for doing no work for the team (which is what they’re doing with Babcock and maybe Larsen too).

This is still a nothing burger issue imo but I don’t think I can move you from your position so I think I should just stop trying.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
He is not reassigned to another role. He is relieved of his GM duties, yet still technically employed by the organization. Thus, he is doing work for the organization. What you are advocating for is a termination, which he would still be getting paid for doing no work for the team (which is what they’re doing with Babcock and maybe Larsen too).

This is still a nothing burger issue imo but I don’t think I can move you from your position so I think I should just stop trying.
For all we know, maybe Larsen is still doing some light scouting work too. it just hasn't been publicized.

The point being obviously is that this stuff happens all the time, it just isn't talked about. I think the only time anyone is ever told to just flat out stay away if they did something terrible, like Babcock.

I even think Ken Hitchcock had some scouting/advisory role for a period after he was fired. Scott Howson might have done the same thing except he was hired by Edmonton as a scout a month after he was let go. He still lived in Columbus for a few years and I ran into him at breakfast in Bexley once a few years later.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad