Confirmed with Link: Larsson re-signs 6 years $4,166,666.67

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Of the players on our team, Henrique and Greene are the only ones that have captain material to me, and Greene really just because he's a vet and well respected it seems. Elias obviously won't be because of age, and the only other guys that have the captain personality is maybe someone like Cammalleri.

Sev's has def shown signs. Could be said this years prospect camp was a bit of Captaincy training for him.

I haven't seen much from Lars which suggests he has it in him.

Don't think Greene exudes captaincy either, aside from being a steady professional, but so many hockey players are that. I think people point to Greene because he is the lone vet amongst a plethora of young d-men.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
If Larsson were to become a captain, I'd think that he would be the quieter, calmer, and lead-by-example sort. Kind of like a Lidstrom leader, if you'll pardon the comparison. Right now, though, he's twenty-two, and just gaining confidence here in NJ. He's not ready for a letter yet, but it's going to be fun to watch him continue to mature as a player next year and all the other seasons on his contract.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Sev's has def shown signs. Could be said this years prospect camp was a bit of Captaincy training for him.

Don't think Greene exudes captaincy either, aside from being a steady professional, but so many hockey players are that. I think people point to Greene because he is the lone vet amongst a plethora of young d-men.

Not saying you're wrong but I may have overlooked them... What signs?

HobokenIrish

May 3, 2011
Charlotte, NC

I remember quotes about Santini that he was future Captain material.

Obviously the kid needs to make the NHL and then be good before those things even get considered but nice to know nonetheless

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Not saying you're wrong but I may have overlooked them... What signs?

I think the way he talks to the media, I think there is a high level of confidence there, or maybe better put an alpha dog personality. Kind of like the idea from last season where "he kicked the door down" and gave the team little option, they had to play him. And then again, the prospect camp this year, didn't Shero say something along the lines of having him there as a "vet" presence.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
I like this signing a lot. Hopefully he continues to improve and is able to maintain the level of play he had in the second half of last season. I seriously think he will finally break out in a big way.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
If Larsson were to become a captain, I'd think that he would be the quieter, calmer, and lead-by-example sort. Kind of like a Lidstrom leader, if you'll pardon the comparison. Right now, though, he's twenty-two, and just gaining confidence here in NJ. He's not ready for a letter yet, but it's going to be fun to watch him continue to mature as a player next year and all the other seasons on his contract.

I hope Hynes gives him Greene's former ''A'' after Greene is promoted to captain.

C - Greene
A - Elias (home)
A - Larsson (home)
A - Zajac (away)
A - Henrique (away)

You have an older guy in Elias & Zajac sharing an ''A'' with a younger guy in Larsson and Henrique.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think the way he talks to the media, I think there is a high level of confidence there, or maybe better put an alpha dog personality. Kind of like the idea from last season where "he kicked the door down" and gave the team little option, they had to play him. And then again, the prospect camp this year, didn't Shero say something along the lines of having him there as a "vet" presence.

Alpha dog...you couldn't have spelled it out any better - subconsciously Devil fans want a Stevens-type as captain, cause that's what they know to be successful and that's why Severson's getting talked up. Conversely if this was Detroit we'd probably be talking up Larsson in the mold of being classy and businesslike in the mold of Lidstrom/Zetterberg/Datsyuk.

In either case, it's very premature to make a case even for being a future C. Especially since we don't know the 'current' captain and we don't even know if new management values the quiet, silent leader over the vocal, rah-rah one - Andy would certainly be the former though. Severson was a leader at development camp cause he had the most NHL experience there (it's pretty rare to get any guys with significant NHL experience there), if Larsson or Merrill was eligible for camp, they'd have been a leader there too.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I hope Hynes gives him Greene's former ''A'' after Greene is promoted to captain.

C - Greene
A - Elias (home)
A - Larsson (home)
A - Zajac (away)
A - Henrique (away)

You have an older guy in Elias & Zajac sharing an ''A'' with a younger guy in Larsson and Henrique.

Rotating A's might not be a bad idea, now that you mention it. You'd be giving younger guys a chance to develop their leadership skills, while shooing respect for some older hands like Elias, and we do have to prepare for the day Elias retires and someone has to take his spot as a leader on this team.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Alpha dog...you couldn't have spelled it out any better - subconsciously Devil fans want a Stevens-type as captain, cause that's what they know to be successful and that's why Severson's getting talked up. Conversely if this was Detroit we'd probably be talking up Larsson in the mold of being classy and businesslike in the mold of Lidstrom/Zetterberg/Datsyuk.

In either case, it's very premature to make a case even for being a future C. Especially since we don't know the 'current' captain and we don't even know if new management values the quiet, silent leader over the vocal, rah-rah one - Andy would certainly be the former though. Severson was a leader at development camp cause he had the most NHL experience there (it's pretty rare to get any guys with significant NHL experience there), if Larsson or Merrill was eligible for camp, they'd have been a leader there too.

Some good points here. I think that we just have to try to develop leadership skills in our young guys like Larsson and Severson. Over time, we would hope that they both emerge as leaders, and if they are different types, that can be a very nice thing for the team to have those different styles. Which leadership style suits a team best as far as the "C" is concerned might also depend on the team itself. I think Larsson and Severson have the potential to bring different skills to the team as leaders down the road, and that's exciting.

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005
You don't need to have a letter to be a leader in the lockerroom. Just rotate 4 As for the year and choose a captain next year if you have to.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
11 goals and 23 assists for Larsson

I was thinking around 30-35 points so I'd agree. He had 21A last year despite getting scratched or jerked around the 1st half of last season so I'm thinking with a new coach, contract, and confidence he could be on pace for 35 points or so. Here's hoping he exceeds all expectations!

GhostofKenKlee

Adam 10-12 goals and 25-30 assists is what I expect and he's paid according.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
9 G
27 A

I don't think he'll have a huge jump in point production, but that's probably where I think he'll end up. If he gets 60 I would be shocked. But between 30-40 is around where a realistic expectation is IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad