Lars Eller as a 4C ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
No one fights the puck more than Eller.
He steals it off his own teammates sticks, chases it around the boards like a cat chasing a laser dot, he rarely passes when he has possession and if he does he passes it into the middle when no one is there.
He might show up in the playoffs, but he doesn't help one lick to get us there.
Upgrading our 2nd LW would be huge for this team going forward.

And we're not ignorant to that fact, we just think Eller is hugely over rated on these boards.

This is actually a two way street for everyone who over rates him there are just as many if not more who under rate him. The fact that Eller is not in his proper seat should be directed at management.
We all know we need help in the top 6 but this guy isn't what really ails us.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Thank you. He's had two hot streaks: lockout season and 2014 playoffs. Both get used as if it's proof the rest of his mediocre play is an anomaly and those small sample sizes are the real Lars Eller.

I hoped big things for him this year. Now it's clear he's the anchor holding Galchenyuk down. Something we can blame Therrien for but nobody dares to, not even Therrien haters.

Eller's a good bottom six player. His 3.5 million salary is fitting for that role. I wouldn't be surprised to see him score 20 in a 3rd line role. But I don't want him with Chucky.

While Weise is injured:

Pacioretty Pleks Gallagher
Ghetto Chucky Carr
Eller DD Fleischmann
Byron Mitchell Flynn

I still would like to see Hudon get in there. But Byron and Flynn are playing well.

Ghetto Chucky Carr
Fleischmann DD Hudon
Byron Eller Mitchell

Sword

May 26, 2014
I'm actually surprised he's still playing for the Habs, especially after MT tried to replace him with a rookie like DLR. It seems to me like MT and MB don't agree when it comes to Lars, the latter still believes he's the type of player that helps you win in the playoffs and I agree with him.

Just imagine us facing the big Washington Capitals in the post season, you really think your little Pleks, DD and Mitchell are capable of winning board battles? :laugh:

Lars is the ideal 3rd line center, we'd be so weak in the middle without him.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Eller's a good bottom six player. His 3.5 million salary is fitting for that role. I wouldn't be surprised to see him score 20 in a 3rd line role. But I don't want him with Chucky.

While Weise is injured:

Ghetto Chucky Carr
Eller DD Fleischmann
Byron Mitchell Flynn

I still would like to see Hudon get in there. But Byron and Flynn are playing well.

Ghetto Chucky Carr
Fleischmann DD Hudon
Byron Eller Mitchell

I also think Eller should play with DD than Galchenyuk.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Why should it be removed? Because you said so? You kidding me? That season, hockey was played the same way, on the same ice.

That's the only season he played in his natural position and got two good wingers to play with. Play with good players=playing with confidence=playing better=be more consistent.

Now, maybe you think it's an excuse but playing with Galchenyuk and a lot of games with Gallagher is much easier than playing with Rene Bourque, Prust or Sekac. Like I said, Eller plays differently when he's confident and when he's not. When he's playing with plugs like Prust or Bourque, no doubt he will get an long period that he won't produce, that's where Eller loses confidence. Again, I'm not saying Eller is blame free but I don't agree when people said Eller has no IQ, no creativity, never shown anything good, never did, never will. He had good moments. After the shortened season, he started the following season pretty well also with 8 pts in 8 games and 13 pts in 20 games. After that, it just went downhills. He went MIA for a long period of time playing mostly with Bourque. Gionta was add to their line late in the season and he found his confidence back. Plays a good playoffs, being our best center.

Again, I'm not by any means think he deserves better or anything. I'm just saying he did have shown some offensive potential unlike some here who said he has never shown anything. Eller used to be a pretty good third center for us.

Or to sum up, MT has no idea how to develop players. Look at Beau, same thing being jerked around by our coach.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Yes I do think how the way MT used Eller did not help his offensive game.

And no I don't agree it was only a streak. He was good that season, and the beginning of the next season, it the playoffs of that season. That's not just a streak or a lot of streaks. He had the abilities to be a good two way center.

We had our next (bigger more physical) Pleks, but Therrien wanted two Mitchells for the bottom 6.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
So you never discussed his upside as a top 6 forward?:laugh: Please.

The discussion itself had a lot of elements. When people weren't comparing him to Desharnais uselessly they suggested Eller would do better with 1) More skilled linemates and 2) in a less defensive role.

Guess what? He got Galchenyuk and he's not a checker anymore.

His PPG dropped.

Now for sure we can say being on wing over C affects him, no question but that doesn't erase everything else.

A lot of people like to use the "If DD plays more than X minutes this is our record"

How does that apply to Eller?

More than 15 minutes: 2-9-1

Less than 15 minutes: 20-6-2

If this metric works for DD, it should work for Eller too.

Eller doesn't play defensive responsibilities this year. He plays Galchenyuk's LW on a sheltered line and has done for the majority of the season. Apart from that he plays PK but that isn't some daunting task to replace given we have a lot of utility type depth.

First, let's put DD in Eller's role right now to see how he does?.....Oh, wait, we did last year and as bad as Eller is right now, DD was worst. (2points in 10 games.....would've been around 8 points in 40 games....)

Second, i never thought Eller would be terrific as a top 6 player.
But face it, DD brought 50pts in 1st line role in the last 2 season and other than that he brought nothing else. I would've take a 45pts player with defensive capabilities, size, speed, grit way ahead of DD's 50pts with nothing else.

I thought that DD would be a 40pts 2nd liner, and he that's exactly what he is right now.....Do you think Eller could get to 40 in a 2nd line role with his steady shift on the PP as a center? I do, he did 30 in 46 games once....with less than that. He had 27 points with nothing at all in terms of offensive situation. So even as 2nd line center i prefer Eller. And it's the same thing as a 3rd liner, i prefer Eller at this point (and it got nothing to do with point production)

You over-emphasize size and de-emphasize hockey sense.

Dale Weise and many other players love playing with Desharnais. He is an excellent 3rd line center and 3.5 million is a perfect salary for him. He will get between 40 and 50 points. Very good numbers for a 3rd liner.

I just don't want to see DD on the 1st unit of the PP or at all on the PP and I don't want to see him in the top 6.

Newsflash: DD played mostly as a second liner and if he's lucky, he'll get to 40 this season. DD on a 3rd line with less PP time, less ice-time and lesser linesmates won't bring more but less.....and that's a 30-35pts player if he keeps some PP time.

Just like Eller in fact. With less size, grit, defensive capabilities, no PK skills...

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...00&teamid=16&type=goals&sort=F60&sortdir=DESC

Eller is an offensive black hole and defensively poor. He's a coward to boot-witnessed by a huge television audience yesterday.

The only test that he passes is some dubious and absurd "eye tests" by his cultist backers. Get glasses. He sucks.

Digest these stats. 3 years worth of data. He's awful. It's not a usage issue. It's not a developmental issue. It's a skill issue. He is vastly overpaid as well.

Last edited:

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

Capitaine Subban*

We already won the battle, there was no fight left, except the meaningless ones the Bruins players tries to provoke us in. Fighting them is just falling in their trap.

Ofc the game was over but it was more about defending yourself and not being a defenseless victim.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Newsflash: DD played mostly as a second liner and if he's lucky, he'll get to 40 this season. DD on a 3rd line with less PP time, less ice-time and lesser linesmates won't bring more but less.....and that's a 30-35pts player if he keeps some PP time.

Just like Eller in fact. With less size, grit, defensive capabilities, no PK skills...

Desharnais had more points as a third line center this year (before Gallagher got hurt) than he did as a 1st or 2nd line center (when Gallagher was hurt).

As Alain Vigneault said after we crushed the Rangers earlier in the year: "there are very few teams in the league with as a good a 3rd line center as David Desharnais."

He's worked so far on the 3rd line with Weise and Flash. No need to change what isn't broken.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Fact is, we have two centers with offensive capabilities that are not top 6 centers in the NHL: Desharnais and Eller. For the next 2 years chucky and pleks will be 1 and 2.

This is a good position to be in. We have an extra top 9 center in case of injury. And, one can either play wing or center a dangerous 4th line when everyone is healthy.

Nynja*

Ofc the game was over but it was more about defending yourself and not being a defenseless victim.

No, instead you should fight in a 4-1 game with 2 minutes to go because you look like a hero then. Lars Eller, who in his 6 year career has never had a fighting major should drop the gloves with nobody Jimmy Hayes whos had 3 fights in 3 "full" years as an NHLer.

You both sound like Tortorella lol

Capitaine Subban*

No, instead you should fight in a 4-1 game with 2 minutes to go because you look like a hero then. Lars Eller, who in his 6 year career has never had a fighting major should drop the gloves with nobody Jimmy Hayes whos had 3 fights in 3 "full" years as an NHLer.

You both sound like Tortorella lol

Lars Eller is a nobody himself so ya he should have shown that he has some ballz and defend himself despite the score.It wasnt Rinaldo he was facing ...

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Lars Eller is a nobody himself so ya he should have shown that he has some ballz and defend himself despite the score.It wasnt Rinaldo he was facing ...

Hayes is 6'5, wanting to beat the crap out of Eller because he was frustrated and that's the only way for him to win something. There's nothing for Eller to win in that situation.

Eller actually did defend himself by grabbing on Hayes. That was the smartest thing to do in such circumstance. I'm sure you still don't understand the reasoning in it but it's ok.. one day maybe you will. It's really not that hard. Fighting in hockey serves a purposes, fighting when the game is over is just stupid, especially against a guy seeing red and much bigger than you and has more experience in fighting.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

yeah sure, let him have a meaningless fight so he can please the fans in B town right ?

if they want more fighting they can watch boxing or UFC
**** em.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Desharnais had more points as a third line center this year (before Gallagher got hurt) than he did as a 1st or 2nd line center (when Gallagher was hurt).

As Alain Vigneault said after we crushed the Rangers earlier in the year: "there are very few teams in the league with as a good a 3rd line center as David Desharnais."

He's worked so far on the 3rd line with Weise and Flash. No need to change what isn't broken.

Well... technically, DD wasn't used as a third line center. He was a third center in disguise because his line had more ice-time than the so called 2nd line. Only Galchenyuk played on the PP on a regular basis. DD and Weise had more PP than Eller and whoever played on the RW after Semin left.

Capitaine Subban*

Hayes is 6'5, wanting to beat the crap out of Eller because he was frustrated and that's the only way for him to win something. There's nothing for Eller to win in that situation.

Eller actually did defend himself by grabbing on Hayes. That was the smartest thing to do in such circumstance. I'm sure you still don't understand the reasoning in it but it's ok.. one day maybe you will. It's really not that hard. Fighting in hockey serves a purposes, fighting when the game is over is just stupid, especially against a guy seeing red and much bigger than you and has more experience in fighting.

Ya I get it Eller defend himself ... like a ***** :laugh:
When you are getting hit the fight is on so late game or not, big lead or not, you should threw some punches back if you respect yourself and the team.
Eller was a coward yesterday sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig