Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Hutson is a unique talent who has proven his many critics wrong for most of his young career.

In his short ‘audition’ he has shown that he has the ‘chops’ to be a core, if not a defining, player for the Canadiens for the next decade.
He also brought a doctor’s note to his draft interviews…. That’s f***ing awesome! Lmao

Reactions: Runner77

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Lane's play in camp+preseason will dictate whether he makes the habs or starts in Laval. If he plays similar to how did in his first 2 nhl games, he's definitely making the team. He looks like he could already be one of the most impactful players on the team.
This is the correct approach to take for all prospects, not only Hutson. No where is it written that time in Laval is a prerequisite to playing in the NHL. For some (most) young players, a time in the AHL is beneficial, if not necessary. Others are ready for the immediate jump.

If Hutson shows that he can play in the NHL through his performance in the exhibition season next fall, then he should make the team. If such a result makes one or two players redundant, so be it.

That’s why God created trades.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
This is the correct approach to take for all prospects, not only Hutson. No where is it written that time in Laval is a prerequisite to playing in the NHL. For some (most) young players, a time in the AHL is beneficial, if not necessary. Others are ready for the immediate jump.

If Hutson shows that he can play in the NHL through his performance in the exhibition season next fall, then he should make the team. If such a result makes one or two players redundant, so be it.

Clearly MB didn’t believe in god and his creations

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
He absolutely should. He, along with the majority of top prospects, start in the A and work their way up after some much needed seasoning. It's just part of the process and very welcomed by this Habs fan.
I don’t believe so…the only way he ends up in Laval is roster spots and waiver exemption.

Habs need to trade 2 D this off season…. I’m expecting and hoping it’ll be Harris and Barron.

Mailloux starts in Laval and finishes the season in Montreal

Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Savard
Xhekaj-Struble

Kovacevic

Savard gets traded at deadline and replaced by Mailloux

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I hope he learns how to low bridge people like marchand as a defense mechanism. The league doesn't seem to mind.

It is just gross how he gets away with it......I am not one to wish injury on players but similar to Ulf Samuellsson, and Matt Cooke I would thoroughly enjoy watching him get knocked out with an intentional elbow, or from banging his head from a slew foot.

Maybe God should concentrate on not giving babies cancer and leave the trades alone......:help:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I am pretty sure they will send him to Laval and pair him with Reinbacher
What makes you so sure?

He added a dimension to the team. If he can continue to do that next year in camp amd at the start of the year, why would management decide to deprive the team of that?

Reactions: Runner77

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
What makes you so sure?

He added a dimension to the team. If he can continue to do that next year in camp amd at the start of the year, why would management decide to deprive the team of that?
We already have him in a larger form at the moment in Matheson. The backend as a whole has no issues providing offense, it is defensive awareness/stability that is our achilles heal.

Imo, we've been granted the opportunity to let these young defensemen get better without throwing them into the fire. I'm not sure why we wouldn't do that as a franchise. Lane, Reinbacher, Maillioux, Engstrom....all four guys should be getting massive minutes every night in Laval refining their games.

Reactions: Habricot and John B

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We already have him in a larger form at the moment in Matheson. The backend as a whole has no issues providing offense, it is defensive awareness/stability that is our achilles heal.

Imo, we've been granted the opportunity to let these young defensemen get better without throwing them into the fire. I'm not sure why we wouldn't do that as a franchise. Lane, Reinbacher, Maillioux, Engstrom....all four guys should be getting massive minutes every night in Laval refining their games.
2 things:

1. I really liked having 2 offensive drivers, one on each of the top 2 pairs, when Lane was with us. It is a small sample size though. So we'll see.

2. That is still secondary to Lane's long term development for me as well. But I think Lane is the type who can figure things out on the fly. I do worry about injuries. But we'll see...

Reactions: Runner77 and Deebs

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

If this kid can crack the lineup, boy he is going to create some serious movement within the team.....

A very pleasant problem. He certainly did not look out of place during those two games......that said, I am still a little worried about his size. I can see teams dumping it in his corner, over and over.....that could be problematic for the kid. If he can handle the physical aspect of being a D in the big leagues, boy did we hit a home run in the 2nd round.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
If this kid can crack the lineup, boy he is going to create some serious movement within the team.....

A very pleasant problem. He certainly did not look out of place during those two games......that said, I am still a little worried about his size. I can see teams dumping it in his corner, over and over.....that could be problematic for the kid. If he can handle the physical aspect of being a D in the big leagues, boy did we hit a home run in the 2nd round.
After more than 30 years of futility, I'll take a triple.

• Haha
Reactions: Scriptor and BLONG7

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
What makes you so sure?

He is used to play 50 games a year, we have enough depth at D to send him to Laval to play 20-22 min a night and create chemistry with Reinbacher. The org has put them together at the dev camp and they really seemed to fit together.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He is used to play 50 games a year, we have enough depth at D to send him to Laval to play 20-22 min a night and create chemistry with Reinbacher. The org has put them together at the dev camp and they really seemed to fit together.

if he helps the team he'll be in Montreal.

Reactions: quarter450

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He played really well both games but lets temper these observations with the knowledge that Detroit is a smaller team with one of the weakest forechecking/physical games in the entire league.

I am interested to see how he handles heavier, more aggressive teams and how the league adapts to Lane's tendencies. So far so good and that is exciting but his progression is going to be met with stiff opposition from opponents who have had a chance to watch him on video and feel him out in-game.

I noticed some ridiculous posts already from a couple of his sycophants claiming victory over any and all concerns regarding Lane. As I said after he signed, there is no room for that kind of rhetoric in nuanced, evidence based civil discourse. As I have always stated, he has some obvious flaws but it is his competitiveness and IQ that should see him successfully navigate these obstacles. Hopefully most of us can sit back and enjoy the show without excessive hyperbole on either side of the conversation. Game by game and shift by shift driven hyperbolic proclamations are annoying and are the diarrhea of this forum and I am just trying to preemptively drop some Imodium into this thread lol.
I can’t help but think he’s gonna have some rough times to the point where people will declare him a bust.

I just think he has that drive that he’ll do whatever it takes to improve himself.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I can’t help but think he’s gonna have some rough times to the point where people will declare him a bust.

I just think he has that drive that he’ll do whatever it takes to improve himself.

So he'll show trhat drive to improve his all-round play in Laval so that he can be trusted with NHL minutes.

He' to good for AHL, just enjoy the show.

Let him show that in camp, no freebies.

Reactions: Deebs

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
All this, "He's too good for the AHL," is malarkey.

However, for a more valid reason than that, I still see Hutson starting his career in Montreal rather than Laval.

Like with Slafkovsky, I think that management believes the player will be better served for his development by playing in Montreal.

As seen by the comparison with Slafkovsky, has nothing to do with size. I just think that the biggest gems will be developed in Montreal while we are still rebuilding. Once we have a solid core and systems armoire in play, most -- if not all -- prospects will need to fine tune in Laval more than now.

Reactions: HomaridII

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
All this, "He's too good for the AHL," is malarkey.

However, for a more valid reason than that, I still see Hutson starting his career in Montreal rather than Laval.

Like with Slafkovsky, I think that management believes the player will be better served for his development by playing in Montreal.

As seen by the comparison with Slafkovsky, has nothing to do with size. I just think that the biggest gems will be developed in Montreal while we are still rebuilding. Once we have a solid core and systems armoire in play, most -- if not all -- prospects will need to fine tune in Laval more than now.
Not just for you to respond but who on the left side does he replace?

It would be a real disservice if Guhle plays on the right side again this season.

Matheson
Guhle
Arber

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
After wanting to have our 1st overall pick in the AHL for almost two years,

How am i surprised we want to have our best defenseman, recorbreaking talent in the AHL?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Not just for you to respond but who on the left side does he replace?

It would be a real disservice if Guhle plays on the right side again this season.

Matheson
Guhle
Arber
It's not like is permanent thing, but, yes, Guhle would be playing on the right side until Reinbacher makes it with the NHL roster, or Matheson is traded (likely after next season, in both cases) -- if he is.

Matheson -Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Harris, Barron, Kovacevic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad