Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
It's supposed to help us generate offense off turnovers and transition yet we've not scored any more goals this season than last.
To make it worse we aren't really known as a very good one on one team. We have very few players who can snuff out plays on their own.
Yet, the year we went to the finals, at least in the playoffs, we had great transition off the rush. No man-to-man. Marty needs to revisit this crap for next season.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
I'm 5'8 and 155 lbs and my ribs show. An NHLer being listed as 5'10, 162 lbs scares me a bit, no matter how fast they are.

• Haha
Reactions: GHJimmy

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I'm 5'8 and 155 lbs and my ribs show. An NHLer being listed as 5'10, 162 lbs scares me a bit, no matter how fast they are.
Kyle Turris, age 25 on right. Listed at 6,1 195

Beside him is weircoch, listed at 6'6 190.

Which would be 170 lbs at 5'10.

Attachments

• img_2_1713235955565~2.jpg
    img_2_1713235955565~2.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 1

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Yes but do you really want to build a defensive group with such a small D in it? The hockey sense is super elite, but still, he is limited physically and was protected tonight, and opposing teams will adjust to him and he will become a target. That's the hockey mentality even in this modern era. Yes he he was not bad, but we are far away from being able to project him as a complete first pairing D. To me there is not much new to take away from this first game. We all knew he was gifted offensively, very intelligent on the ice, but with huge physical limitations to play in his zone.
There is absolutely no evidence of that and he looked quite a bit smaller than Harris during the anthems.

He is small and will always be small but he impressed me tonight, I feel better about him now that he has shown that he has a chance to be a passable defender. He is definitely going to put up numbers and his intensity/compete is through the roof.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Yes but do you really want to build a defensive group with such a small D in it? The hockey sense is super elite, but still, he is limited physically and was protected tonight, and opposing teams will adjust to him and he will become a target. That's the hockey mentality even in this modern era. Yes he he was not bad, but we are far away from being able to project him as a complete first pairing D. To me there is not much new to take away from this first game. We all knew he was gifted offensively, very intelligent on the ice, but with huge physical limitations to play in his zone.
Yes I do want to build a defensive group with such a small D in it.

Guhle 6’3, 210
Reinbacher 6’3, 209
Mailloux 6’3, 220
Xhekaj 6’4, 240
Struble 6’0, 202

Those all look to be mainstays with size. Their are other smaller defensive prospects too.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Alright not bad but I have to bring up this point; he is not expected to be a first pairing D. Look at how we drafted, we draft big mobile guys with an edge. We picked a D 5th overall last season. We have a plethora of guys coming up. Lane Hutson is not a big investment of an asset that must be a top tier player. He’s an almost extra third round pick we bought a lottery ticket with and we fell ass backwards in a dominating point producer in the NCAA.

Look, the expectation is not a horse that can play all situations and all 27 minutes like Shea Weber could. It’s to be a dynamite PP point man and a puck moving D out of a second or third pair. We have other horses for our first pairing and minute crunchers. It will allow to be who he is without the added role of being a rock. It’s a total win win situation for the player and the team.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
There is no substitute for his cerebral approach. I've said it before. NHL scouts need to start using functional MRI studies and try to map hockey IQ. In a redraft he would be a first-rounder. It's not just about what the scale and measuring tape say.
First rounder for sure. Maybe top ten.

and by the time everything is said and done there’s a possibility that we got the two best players in that draft.

Reactions: Dutronc

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
First rounder for sure. Maybe top ten.

and by the time everything is said and done there’s a possibility that we got the two best players in that draft.
So far we are navigating that weak draft in a very big way. Considering all the love I have for Owen Beck, this is shaping up incredibly.

Reactions: Rozz

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
I would assume he broke the record for the NHL's lightest defensemen ever. 162 lbs is insane for a defensemen. Though I have no clue if there's been any D that light, it just seems he would be the lightest ever.
Lightest defenceman in a very long time certainly, but not ever. Pierre Pilote peaked at like 165 so he was probably lighter when he started. Mind you that was 60 years ago. Probably been a few others along the way.

Reactions: montreal

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Those who think Hutson is too small to play in the NHL still live in 2012

I'm not saying he is, but he's currently the 3rd lightest player in the league. The 2nd is a non-NHLer who's played less than 10 games the last 4 years and the other is Yamamoto.

He can be an NHLer, but he's going to have to be that much more skilled than everyone else, and there will always be a risk of injury. And being a defenseman just makes it that more much difficult and rare to accomplish. Out of the lighter guys in the league, Girard is basically the only notable light defenseman. To get to an actual notable lighter weight defenseman, you have to go all the weigh (dad joke) to 166th lightest in the league with Luke Hughes. Him and fox are basically the only star level defensemen in the bottom 200 of weight, and Hutson, again is 3rd, technically 2nd lightest. It's really not an unreasonable fear that the size factor will hold him back, so don't act like it's foolish. But I think any one who's seen him play believes that he's up to the challenge.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I just watch the game. Very good 1st game from him! His transition game is top notch. Great skater. He is a very smart offensive D.

With a good development, I think he can be alright on defensive zone. He need to get bigger and everything will be fine.

He have very high potential and I really like what I see tonight!

Reactions: HankyZetts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad