Injury Report: Landeskog out with head and neck injury

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Dont shoot the messenger now; I thought it was clean too; not his fault he is taller. I am taking same Av fan to Red Wing game. He has to cheer for us. No way an Avs fan will cheer on DET.

Careful now. You're getting awfully close to using Pronger Physicsâ„¢ to explain this.:sarcasm:

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
Damn that sucks. I wish it were just a big hit and that's all but reality is the human body can only withstand so much force

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Reading the link rangerssharks414 posted I now have a question...

Is Landeskog out because of a head injury and he also has a leg injury, or is he out because of a leg injury and he also has a head injury?

Just the way the story was presented I suspect it's the latter and not the former.

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
I'll admit that I don't understand why players are allowed to follow through with their fore-arm like Stuart did. If players didn't do that it sure seems like there would be a lot fewer head injuries, and you could still knock people on their butts. But I'm not a physicist, so whatever.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I'll admit that I don't understand why players are allowed to follow through with their fore-arm like Stuart did. If players didn't do that it sure seems like there would be a lot fewer head injuries, and you could still knock people on their butts. But I'm not a physicist, so whatever.

His forearm hit his chest..Landeskog's face hit Stuey's shoulder.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

The follow-through is not what causes the injury.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
I hope the kid is OK. That was a devastating hit. I would have understood if Stuart was suspended a game for that one. Landeskog had no chance. It's not like when David Perron was skating through the neutral zone with his head turned to the side, looking everywhere except directly in front of him. He's 6 feet tall. He wasn't paying attention to anything happening in front of him. Joe Thornton got suspended two games because he is 6'4 and Perron's head went straight into his shoulder.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007

because its almost impossible not to

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
because its almost impossible not to

Exactly. Seriously go try it. Get one of your friends to skate down the ice and you hit him head on. Try not to:

a) brace for the impact by pushing up and into the hit
b) not use your arms to 'throw' your friend away from you after impact

It's called center of gravity. You have to brace that way in order to stop yourself from being thrown backwards and injuring yourself. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, that energy must go somewhere. The best hitters direct that energy back into the person they are hitting, causing the biggest hit. If Stuart were to absorb that energy himself he takes the risk of injuring himself or falling down and being unable to rejoin the play.

People who have a problem with that have never hit someone like that in a game, plain and simple. If you had you wouldn't even question what Stuart did, it was textbook.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
It looked like he picked off Thorntons pass and threw it into the neutral zone for Landeskog.

Wouldn't really call it a suicide pass nonetheless. He practically skated from one side of the boards to the other, and it was a good 5 seconds after he got the puck to before he got hit.

Hope this doesn't turn into a Perron thing later on (though I don't think Landeskog is that type of person). Not that the hit was similar, just that Perron initially said there was nothing Thornton could do differently, and then last post-season, he said Thornton's hit was dirty. That just rubbed me the wrong way.

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
What gets me is that most people calling foul are either 1) Avs fans or 2) Have probably never played the game (properly)? Stuart had pretty good form in that hit

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
You guys are classy, three pages where most of you feel sorry that Landeskog was injured.

Things like this happens unfortunately, next time it may be the opposite. A devastating hit on one of your star players.

Landeskog delivered 270 shots on goal and 219 hits on 82 games last season himself, during his rookie season as a 19 year old.

The question is if the fans of the opposing team will write a three pages long thread feeling sorry about the hit, I doubt it.

Respect.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
You guys are classy, three pages where most of you feel sorry that Landeskog was injured.

Things like this happens unfortunately, next time it may be the opposite. A devastating hit on one of your star players.

Landeskog delivered 270 shots on goal and 219 hits on 82 games last season himself, during his rookie season as a 19 year old.

The question is if the fans of the opposing team will write a three pages long thread feeling sorry about the hit, I doubt it.

Respect.

Exactly. It was a brutal but legal hockey hit. Landeskog got caught by one of the best open ice hitters in the league. It happens. We all hope he comes back. Cheers.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009

Respect.

Sharks only seen to injure the likeable players (Perron, Mueller, Land). I don't think you'd get 3 pages of tears if Stuart had knocked Torres or Perry into next season.

Hoping Landy gets better quick. Don't want to see him go through what Perron/Mueller went through.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Sharks only seen to injure the likeable players (Perron, Mueller, Land). I don't think you'd get 3 pages of tears if Stuart had knocked Torres or Perry into next season.

Hoping Landy gets better quick. Don't want to see him go through what Perron/Mueller went through.

When Staubitz beat Tootoo's face in we got like 10 pages of cheering from the entire league :P

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

Don't forget Kurtis Foster too...another likeable guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad