Injury Report: Landeskog out with head and neck injury

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
According to a co-worker in Denver, we are officially on the Avalanche fans hated list... they are none too happy with the hit and its non-suspension by Shanaban.

Seriously you suspend that hit you might as well take anything but hip-checking out of the game. That is as clean as a huge body check gets.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
(Obligatory clean hit statement) I hope Landeskog gets better ASAP. I really appreciate how maturely he handled a clean play even though it resulted in an injury. If this same hit happened the day after I can't even imagine what Vancouver would have done...

Last edited by a moderator:

beertelescope

Jan 24, 2013
Colorado
According to a co-worker in Denver, we are officially on the Avalanche fans hated list... they are none too happy with the hit and its non-suspension by Shanaban.

Maybe that anger would be more appropriate if redirected towards their team's under-performing penalty kill.

Brokencow

Nov 11, 2003
Oakland
Visit site
Avs fans more *****y than Blues fans.

Well you have to admit they have a reason to be sensitive:

1.) Peter Mueller comes in a surprise trade and ratchets up 20 points through 15 games before Blake destroys him in a questionable hit.

2.) Steve Downie just got hurt for the season.

3.) Stuart hits Landeskog, who is not out indefinitely with 'head and neck' injuries.

This fan base keeps seeing all their hopes lost to injuries.

Lastly it seems almost half the hockey nation thinks ANY hit to the head is suspension worthy or the 'principal point of contact' etc. Shanahan needs to spend some more time educating the general public on how a hit to the head can be legal under certain circumstances, such as this one. It's time for more of his videos, I guess.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Well you have to admit they have a reason to be sensitive:

1.) Peter Mueller comes in a surprise trade and ratchets up 20 points through 15 games before Blake destroys him in a questionable hit.

2.) Steve Downie just got hurt for the season.

3.) Stuart hits Landeskog, who is not out indefinitely with 'head and neck' injuries.

This fan base keeps seeing all their hopes lost to injuries.

Lastly it seems almost half the hockey nation thinks ANY hit to the head is suspension worthy or the 'principal point of contact' etc. Shanahan needs to spend some more time educating the general public on how a hit to the head can be legal under certain circumstances, such as this one. It's time for more of his videos, I guess.

All this plus the Ryan O'Reilly holdout is not helping them either.

Winky

Jun 17, 2008
I saw Stuart's hit as clean (no elbow), with the point of impact being Landeskog's head ... which I thought was illegal according to the rules.

I was surprised to hear Stuart wouldn't be suspended.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Avs fans didn't cry for us when Adam Foote broke Sturm's leg on a dirty dirty hit into the boards and pretty much screwed us for those playoffs.

I'm not going to shed any tears for them. But, I do hope Landeskog is just sore and not seriously hurt.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I saw Stuart's hit as clean (no elbow), with the point of impact being Landeskog's head ... which I thought was illegal according to the rules.

I was surprised to hear Stuart wouldn't be suspended.
Point of contact only matters when intent has been established. There was no attempt to hit his head here, just unfortunate.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Bad luck for SJSharks opponents when it comes to career-ruining injuries off of clean hits.

Good luck for SJSharks opponents when it comes to bounces in the playoffs.

Why can't they switch roles?

Brokencow

Nov 11, 2003
Oakland
Visit site
Bad luck for SJSharks opponents when it comes to career-ruining injuries off of clean hits.

Good luck for SJSharks opponents when it comes to bounces in the playoffs.

Why can't they switch roles?

Stuart's hit was textbook big clean hockey hit in my eyes.

Blake on the other hand caught Muller slightly behind his shoulder. You can argue Mueller turned his back into the hit but Blake still pushed his forearm into Muller's back which injected a lot of force into Muller's already awkward position. I think if that same play happened today Blake would be suspended.

Farther back:
Thornton's hit on Perron wasn't that bad to in my opinion as Thornton just stepped out of the box and it would have been a good hit to the chest if Thornton wasn't 6'4" bracing for a hit vs Perron's 6'0" handling the puck. Caught Perron partially under the chin and Shanahan wanted to show the rest of the league he was serious.

If you want to go even farther back we had Bryan Marchment who delivered a series of knee injuries to other players.

Shark's arn't always clean.

Mar 12, 2008
SF Bay Area
Stuart's hit was textbook big clean hockey hit in my eyes.

Blake on the other hand caught Muller slightly behind his shoulder. You can argue Mueller turned his back into the hit but Blake still pushed his forearm into Muller's back which injected a lot of force into Muller's already awkward position. I think if that same play happened today Blake would be suspended.

Farther back:
Thornton's hit on Perron wasn't that bad to in my opinion as Thornton just stepped out of the box and it would have been a good hit to the chest if Thornton wasn't 6'4" bracing for a hit vs Perron's 6'0" handling the puck. Caught Perron partially under the chin and Shanahan wanted to show the rest of the league he was serious.

If you want to go even farther back we had Bryan Marchment who delivered a series of knee injuries to other players.

Shark's arn't always clean.

I miss Mush on the back line - that cat would be constantly suspended in this era of the game.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Of course not. I believe that biologists recently classified Torres as some species of weasel. Its an offshoot of the species which Cory Perry and Steve Ott belong to.

I wonder if you can get a penalty for being Corey Perry. Steve Ott got a penalty for Steve Otting, so why not?

Avs fans more *****y than Blues fans.

A-Freaking-men. Can't stand both tbh, but crying over a clean hit like this? How is this our fault exactly?

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
This sucks Landeskog is easily my favorite player that isn't on the Sharks. I hope he is back and he doesn't change his style of play any.

Except for keeping his head up, remember Sutton hit him pretty damn hard as well.

Get well soon Landy!

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
Sucks for Landeskog, I'm a fan of him. I hope he gets healthy quickly. Surprised he was allowed to keep playing, maybe the NHL needs to implement rules like the NFL where players basically have to come out if there's a chance they were concussed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad