Lame Duck GM; How Much Power Should Holland Have? Should He Have Been Fired?

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I can't remember who speculated the same thing but in his press conference Holland kept saying "I", "me", etc. referring to the next years. This is depressing. Where is Bin? I thought we were 99.99% sure Kenny was moving on???

Really? I thought it was pretty much a lock that he was coming back next year. I think the Wings are going to give Holland a 1 year ext, then wait and see what Yzerman does next offseason.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Really? I thought it was pretty much a lock that he was coming back next year. I think the Wings are going to give Holland a 1 year ext, then wait and see what Yzerman does next offseason.
There isn't a single good reason to give him anymore time with the Wings.
He's just been cashing enormous checks for years now, without doing any work the GM in his position should have done.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
There isn't a single good reason to give him anymore time with the Wings.
He's just been cashing enormous checks for years now, without doing any work the GM in his position should have done.

I wasnt saying what I wanted or didnt want to happen, just what I think is going to happen.

I think its pretty much a lock that he comes back.

I will say this though, a GM's job is to ultimately appease the team's owner. If Holland is following the direction of the Illitch's, then I see no reason why he wont or shouldn'd be back. When it comes to big picture things (ie. re-build, going for it, making the playoffs etc.) I believe that the owner is the one giving the direction, then the GM does what they need to do to make it happen.

If he is going rouge and against the Illitch's, then he likely wont be back. Though I highly doubt this is the case. But I could be wrong.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Stevie coming home is a pipe dream. How often do GM’s get 1 year extensions?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Basically never, but they do get fired early all the time. If your heart is really set on Yzerman, it doesn't matter how long is left on your current GMs deal... Unless that GM is Holland and the team would never fire him.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I was doing a lot of paperwork during that game. I recall Mick's Indian rubber ball comment and that's about it.
Anything specific that was said that you could mention or is it just a general feeling you got?

Just mentioning what they heard form KH about his philosophy for the team the next few years of wanting to continue to rebuild on the fly and make the playoffs whenever possible.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

Agreed it likely won’t happen. I didn’t say I thought they would land him, I said I think they will try to land him.

Not sure about the 1 year extension, I’m guessing it’s not a common thing, but it’s also not common for a GM to be a GM for the same team for 20 years. We aren’t exactly dealing with a typical situation here. If ownership thinks they can land Yzerman, it makes sense. We’ll see what happens.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Basically never, but they do get fired early all the time. If your heart is really set on Yzerman, it doesn't matter how long is left on your current GMs deal... Unless that GM is Holland and the team would never fire him.

Actually, what I could see is a 2 or 3 year extension with a clause that he can be moved into a different position after a year.
I just can’t see holland being fired.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Agreed it likely won’t happen. I didn’t say I thought they would land him, I said I think they will try to land him.

Not sure about the 1 year extension, I’m guessing it’s not a common thing, but it’s also not common for a GM to be a GM for the same team for 20 years. We aren’t exactly dealing with a typical situation here. If ownership thinks they can land Yzerman, it makes sense. We’ll see what happens.

I could see a few different things happening, I just don’t personally think Stevie’s coming back, and any plan revolving around a low % scenario is a bad plan to me.

I could see Holland going into an advisor role for a year until Seattle is up and running, then taking that job since it’s close to home.

I could see them promoting Draper, and Holland staying as an advisor for the foreseeable future.

I could see them being undecided, waiting until the summer, not liking any options out there, and giving him a last minute extension.

I do agree that he won’t be fired, but even still there could be a lot of different ways this plays out. If we sell more than just guys on expiring contracts at the deadline, that might be a cue IMO. If that happens I wonder if he maybe he was told to acquire as many picks as possible for his successor?

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I wasnt saying what I wanted or didnt want to happen, just what I think is going to happen.

I think its pretty much a lock that he comes back.

I will say this though, a GM's job is to ultimately appease the team's owner. If Holland is following the direction of the Illitch's, then I see no reason why he wont or shouldn'd be back. When it comes to big picture things (ie. re-build, going for it, making the playoffs etc.) I believe that the owner is the one giving the direction, then the GM does what they need to do to make it happen.

If he is going rouge and against the Illitch's, then he likely wont be back. Though I highly doubt this is the case. But I could be wrong.
What if he's following orders and failing, and that's why he doesn't have a contract yet?

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I could see a few different things happening, I just don’t personally think Stevie’s coming back, and any plan revolving around a low % scenario is a bad plan to me.

I could see Holland going into an advisor role for a year until Seattle is up and running, then taking that job since it’s close to home.

I could see them promoting Draper, and Holland staying as an advisor for the foreseeable future.

I could see them being undecided, waiting until the summer, not liking any options out there, and giving him a last minute extension.

I do agree that he won’t be fired, but even still there could be a lot of different ways this plays out. If we sell more than just guys on expiring contracts at the deadline, that might be a cue IMO. If that happens I wonder if he maybe he was told to acquire as many picks as possible for his successor?

If it's your only plan, then I 100% agree with you. My guess is that plan #1 is Yzerman, and plan 2 is like you said Draper.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Is there any real source for Yzerman speculation? Why would he want to come here? This team is a poorly constructed dumpster fire. Tampa is a top team in the league and no doubt they want to keep him.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Is there any real source for Yzerman speculation? Why would he want to come here? This team is a poorly constructed dumpster fire. Tampa is a top team in the league and no doubt they want to keep him.

I don't think many believe Yzerman will be coming here next year. Thinking Yzerman will come here, and thinking the Wings will attempt to bring him here are two different things.

Personally I believe Yzerman will be the GM here one day, but more likely way down the road when his run in TB is eventually over. I'm talking 5-10 years from now.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Why would yzerman leave Tampa?

His kids are now entrenched there and older than one he left detroit

Beautiful climate and city

His legacy all over that team

Team is stacked for the next half decade or more

Reactions: BinCookin

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

He lives here and he used to play here... that’s it.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

I dont think anyone is saying he will.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

His family never moved to Tampa. All of his daughters grew up in Bloomfield Hills and they still own the family house there. So Yzerman still lives in the Detroit area and is there frequently in case you haven't noticed how often Stevie is mentioned as being in attendance on FSD. It is actually a staggering amount for another teams GM. He does at least 5 or 6 Wings games a year in person and several when Tampa isn't in town.

I don't think he is moving on because our timelines don't match right now. But the reason the Yzerman narrative continues is he remains very close to the Detroit organization and city. It is still his home when he is asked. I think the problem likely has more to do with Chris Ilitch runs the day to day. If Mike was still here or if Marian pitched Yzerman and promised him final say on everything I am not sure he could turn either of them down, though obviously only one of those options exists now. That is the part that is unclear to me. But if Marian called him, Steve Yzerman has openly talked for years about how he views them as his second set of parents. There is real pull there.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
His family never moved to Tampa. All of his daughters grew up in Bloomfield Hills and they still own the family house there. So Yzerman still lives in the Detroit area and is there frequently in case you haven't noticed how often Stevie is mentioned as being in attendance on FSD. It is actually a staggering amount for another teams GM. He does at least 5 or 6 Wings games a year in person and several when Tampa isn't in town.

I don't think he is moving on because our timelines don't match right now. But the reason the Yzerman narrative continues is he remains very close to the Detroit organization and city. It is still his home when he is asked. I think the problem likely has more to do with Chris Ilitch runs the day to day. If Mike was still here or if Marian pitched Yzerman and promised him final say on everything I am not sure he could turn either of them down, though obviously only one of those options exists now. That is the part that is unclear to me. But if Marian called him Steve Yzerman has openly talked for years about how he views them as his second set of parents. There is real pull there.

Ah ok

Had no idea after all these years his family never moved down to Tampa

Thats kinda nuts

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I don't think it's nuts necessarily. As a GM he's more flexible in from where he works than he would have been as a player. These days you can do meetings and calls from anywhere. And why would he just move on and forget Detroit..it's not like the guy was just some random in Detroit, he's a hero in Detroit and lived through his glory days there. Franchise players usually don't ever lose the connection to their teams and cities. Gordie Howe was from Saskatchewan and yet everyone associated him with Detroit and it's where he spent most of his years.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yzerman has been selling his house at Tampa for few months.

Team will be cap hell after those cheap RFAs like Kucherov will get their career contracts. Especially if they win a Cup in next 2 seasons. Success will be costly, like it has been for every SC winner.

Could be just time for a new challenge. Yzerman likes challenges.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad