Confirmed Trade: [LAK/TOR] Jake Muzzin for 2019 1st round pick, Sean Durzi, and Carl Grundstrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
There is a great greater chance that the asssets acquired by the kings ammount to nothing of value compared to the value of the asset they sold.
Why would anyone want the Kings to get nothing of value. It is a trade. The Kings should get good futures and the Leafs should get a good player for the present. That is what a trade is all about.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
He says that he can do it, apparently.

However, he never did it in his professional or junior career AFAIK. I don't think it is a great idea.

My guess is they will try Rielly at RHD first, and see from there.
I think another move is comimg with Carolina

Reactions: Offside2408

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
As far as my opinion on the trade, I think it's solid value, for both teams. I really liked Grundstrom and he's one of our few prospects who plays a physical game, so I'm sad to see him go. I wasn't in love with Durzi and believe it or not there's a logjam of D in that age range on the Marlies next year. He would have been the 3rd highest guy on that totem pole, but he was obviously expendable. I wanted Calen Addison so much more with that pick and would have had him off limits instead. The 1st is a 1st, it'll make the draft less interesting to watch but, it's a necessary evil a lot of times. I would have protected it for sure, it's not that much value lost for LA because lets be real there's maybe a 0.1% chance we miss and win a lottery, but it's not something as the trading team you'd leave open to happening.

All in all, it's the cost of doing business, and LA got some high value lottery tickets. A lot of the "winner" determination comes from that and if the Leafs win the cup this year or next but in terms of a winner now I'd call it pretty even maybe slightly in the Leafs favour because they avoided giving up a roster player/Lil/Sandin when a lot of people were speculating they needed to.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

My father was shoveling snow and I ran outside to tell him and we both started jumping up and down and ended up rolling around in the snow celebrating!

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:
lucky you, i had to shovel snow after i heard about this news

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Man, I'm gonna miss Muzz. Definitely the Kings' best dman this year. Character guy, can play in all situations, a #2 guy for sure. Great pick-up for Toronto.

Blake needed to make this deal, though. The Kings needa get younger and would've been in a cap bind trying to re-sign Jake. Very pleased with the return.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Why would anyone want the Kings to get nothing of value. It is a trade. The Kings should get good futures and the Leafs should get a good player for the present. That is what a trade is all about.
And it’s a much greater risk for the team who sells a guaranteed asset for possibilities.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
I like this haul for the Kings but now Muzzin is being underrated . He is a great top 4 dman and can play top 2 . He puts up 40+ points in the Kings system watch him hit 60 next year on the Leafs. Maybe he won’t turn a series in favor of the Leafs but he can definitely win a series for the Leafs by making a difference on a few plays.

Leafs going for it . Good luck

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
If Hainsey has been "fine", Muzzin will be "Bobby Orr" good in comparison.

Hainsey will still play PK minutes, but now in a bottom pairing role 5 on 5. He won't have to play against top competition. That's a big win.

What is so hard to understand?

Got it , a 2 or 3 Dman on a last place team....actually a poor to meh team for few years suddenly a great addition. We'll see. But again, so many think the other teams Dmen are so much better than the Leafs.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I would have protected it for sure, it's not that much value lost for LA because lets be real there's maybe a 0.1% chance we miss and win a lottery, but it's not something as the trading team you'd leave open to happening.
Maybe that's something Dubas tried to do and Blake said the 1st round pick could not be conditional. In the end this trade shows that Dubas is willing to go for it which is a lot more than we can say about Lou Lamoreillo and the trades he made prior to the deadline in his 3 years as the Leafs GM.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Hainsey is better as the Leafs #4 defenseman compared to playing with Reilly.

Now I also know they had Crosby, Malkin and Kessel but didn't Hainsey play as a #2 defenseman when he won the Cup with Pittsburgh in 2017, with a defense core that was worse than Toronto's and was missing Kris Letang.
Of course Hainsey is better as the Leafs #4. Heck he would be even better on the bottom pair. That doesn't mean the defense is good.

Oh come on. Crosby and Malkin are generational centers. I absolutely hate the word generational but Crosby and Malkin are generational. Matthews and Tavares are franchise centers, but they aren't generational. That's a completely different situation. I also believe that a rested Matt Murray helped them out BIG TIME. Rested goalies typically do really well in the playoffs.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Luckily......Rielly can also play on the right side, where he's done well.

Muzzin doesn't have to.

That will benefit Muzzin greatly, he will elevate if he's played with a good partner. He and Doughty were lights out a lot of the time he was put together. He just doesn't do well when he's the square peg in the round hole.

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
I wanted to say I am happy for u that u upgraded the defense and i think he ll make u happy in the long run. Can u give me a honest scouting report on the two newest kings please i trust ur opinion on them
Grundstrom is an all round good winger, with top 6 potential. Not very dazzling but he's gritty and I think would fit in LA. He hasn't played a full year in the A, but theres an argument that could be made that he is nhl ready. If the Kings are weak on the wings you can expect him on the team this season and latest by September. With Durzi, it's a bit more of a mystery. He has nhl potential, but he's a long way from it. He's an overager in the CHL and he's just starting to get hot. It'd take a few years to get a more accurate potential on him. As a Leafs fan, losing Grundstrom sucks, but he was never going to get a fair chance with the leafs.

Reactions: uncleben
Sep 18, 2009
Of course Hainsey is better as the Leafs #4. Heck he would be even better on the bottom pair. That doesn't mean the defense is good.

Oh come on. Crosby and Malkin are generational centers. I absolutely hate the word generational but Crosby and Malkin are generational. Matthews and Tavares are franchise centers, but they aren't generational. That's a completely different situation. I also believe that a rested Matt Murray helped them out BIG TIME. Rested goalies typically do really well in the playoffs.
Penguins lotteried their way to the cup everyone knows that big deal

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Got it , a 2 or 3 Dman on a last place team....actually a poor to meh team for few years suddenly a great addition. We'll see. But again, so many think the other teams Dmen are so much better than the Leafs.

An individuals abilities are not equal to a teams abilities, or lack there of.

Many things are wrong with the Kings, and Muzzins abilities are not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad