Confirmed Trade: [LAK/TOR] Jake Muzzin for 2019 1st round pick, Sean Durzi, and Carl Grundstrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Interesting ,how some fans of other teams view this deal. As if their team wouldn't have paid the price,as if Muzzin wouldn't make their team better! Dubas did well,when considering the assets he didn't give up.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Babcock played Rielly on the right-handed side a bunch with Hunwick, I'm sure he'll be happy he just got a solid shut-down 2-way guy compared to what he had.

I'll guess he'll have to play Rielly on the right side indeed. Far from ideal, I think you'll agree with me.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Don't know why you say that. Hainsey has been fine playing with Reilly. Hainsey plays big PK minutes. Again we get into this conversation where any Dman is better than any Leaf Dman, Hard to understand this perception that all Leafs Dmen have been so bad. Just look at the records of players and the team.

If Hainsey has been "fine", Muzzin will be "Bobby Orr" good in comparison.

Hainsey will still play PK minutes, but now in a bottom pairing role 5 on 5. He won't have to play against top competition. That's a big win.

What is so hard to understand?

Mikenusca

Mar 30, 2016
I’m not a leafs fan but it seems like Muzzin is a replacement for Gardiner for next year and hope one of the Swedes make the lineup the following year. So why not trade Gardiner by the deadline and at least get something for him

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
I'm happy with this trade. We paid up but we got a top pair defenseman for at least two playoff runs and can possibly resign him after him and Marleau come off the books at the same time.

Meanwhile Hainsey gets to play some easier minutes and should stay fresher for the playoff run. We ran him into the ground last season playing top pair minutes and every second of the PK, he wasn't going to handle a workload like that again this year.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
As someone who has been waiting for years for Muzzin to be traded, I'm thrilled right now. It's no secret that I'm not a fan of his game at all. I don't like that it's one-way, that he's always thinking offense and neglecting defense. He tends to get overrated because people look at all of the offense that he helps generate. What they don't realize is that it's mostly negated by his defense. In fact, he's been on the ice for as many even strength goals against in his career as goals for, suggesting that he's not a net positive contributor at even strength. He's always been a good contributor on the powerplay, but he's also always been a good contributor to putting his team on the penalty kill.

He's having his best season by far, so I haven't had to be critical of him nearly as much, but that also suggests that he's due to regress to his mean level of play eventually. I'm very glad that LA traded a player who was overachieving for a change. They usually hang onto those until they lose much of their value and then trade them (see: Pearson). I've been very critical of Blake's job performance, but this one move that I have to give him a lot of credit for (for having the guts to make it, not necessarily for the return, though it's not bad).

This is way off base, are we watching the same player? Muzzin had one bad year in 16-17. In his other 7 seasons he's been solid defensively. Your ES numbers are incorrect, he's a +27 at ES and a +30 5v5 over his career, and those numbers include that -21 in 16-17. He also has an impressive 56.72 CF% over his career. You don't get that by being poor defensively. He takes less than 4 penalties per 60, which is just fine. He's only taken 6 more penalties than he's drawn over his career. Overall his numbers are very good.

Jake Muzzin Statistics

I won't argue that Muzzin can have terrible brain farts and make some stupid plays, but he's a really nice player who is at worst a #3.

SlimCharles

Kings & Sabres
Dec 7, 2011
Los Angeles
That 1st is basically nothing right now. Grundstrom is at best a third liner and Durzi is 20 and still playing in juniors. None of them are established. All these pieces are wild cards for the Kings. Leafs get a bonafide top 4 D.

Regardless of what you think of the prospects the return was very fair. Good for you, your team is a SC contender and the Kings are the opposite. Muzzin needed to be traded and it happened finally.

Lol...ya. Kings fans hate it...Leafs keep their roster pieces and both Liljegren and Sandin....

This Kings fan is very pleased with the deal. The Kings are far away from being competitive again.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Not when it involves he Leafs. Pre-Leafs trade is what you need to look at. It's been shown time and time again people will change their ranking once they pull on the blue and white
This was not a trade but remember the opinion of Auston Matthews prior to Toronto winning the draft lottery in 2016 and the opinion about him after Toronto got the 1st overall pick.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Yep leafs fan feel they got Bobby orr . I know I live in Toronto. If muzzin is first pairing dman leafs will get crushed by the likes of Tampa. He's at best 2nd pair.

Muzzin was on the top pair of Stanley cup winner. Really neat that you know where you live though, it's important to know where you live.

Reactions: Cotton

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
The 10% chance to get that player is still something.

This place is beyond ridiculous in not understanding how lotteries/odds work.

They just bolstered their odds of getting a premiere player in this draft significantly.
There is a great greater chance that the asssets acquired by the kings ammount to nothing of value compared to the value of the asset they sold.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Hainsey as your #4 isn't something that screams good defense to me.
Hainsey is better as the Leafs #4 defenseman compared to playing with Reilly.

Now I also know they had Crosby, Malkin and Kessel but didn't Hainsey play as a #2 defenseman when he won the Cup with Pittsburgh in 2017, with a defense core that was worse than Toronto's and was missing Kris Letang.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
DyC95JYU0AEVuKV.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad