Confirmed Trade: [LAK/TOR] Jake Muzzin for 2019 1st round pick, Sean Durzi, and Carl Grundstrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I looked at the standings any hiccups by leafs and kings did extremely well here since 1 st round pick not protected. All it takes is a 5 game losing streak and that pick might look very interesting. Just saying.
Sure. Like I said, it is one possibility. It would also take other teams to take advantage of any hiccups. It is unlikly, but possible. I hope the all the prospects work out for the Kings and they draft a good player with the pick. It was a good trade.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
There still a slight possibility that leafs slip and don't even make the playoffs. That first round pick might be gold to the kings when this is all said and done. The races are so tight any slip it's gonna be Blake saying with 15th pick kings select....

If you want to be this negative why not go with the 1st and 2nd picks overall?

Cotton

May 13, 2013
He says that he can do it, apparently.

However, he never did it in his professional or junior career AFAIK. I don't think it is a great idea.

My guess is they will try Rielly at RHD first, and see from there.

Babcocks first year in Toronto he played Rielly on the right side for something like 75% of the season, he's can can play both sides.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Blake would have to be pretty stupid for that to be a dealbreaker. Like I said the odds of that pick winning a lottery is like 1 in 1000 at best(that assuming about a 3% chance of missing the playoffs, and then a 3% chance at the lotteries). If Blake wouldn't accept say an extra 5th as compensation to protect for the 1 in 1000 chance then he's an idiot. Unless Dubas wasn't offering that, in which case I said I would have made sure I protected that, if it cost me an extra 5th to do so.
Once Toronto officially clinches their playoff spot it's something we will not have to worry about.

Reactions: Glass Of Marleau

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
1. We outplayed TB is both games we've played this year.

LMAO. So when our goalie saves a game for us that we should have lost the Leafs outplayed us, but when the Leafs’ goalie saves a game for them that they should have lost they still outplayed us somehow because durr yay Toronto?

In both games the team that won was outplayed by the team that lost (with the exception of the goalies who stole the two games for their respective teams.) Only a complete delusional homer could watch those games and think his team was the better in both of them.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
What does this mean for the Leafs cap space going forward?

From my understanding it was all but decided that Gardiner was gone as they needed every cent for Matthews/Marner/Kap?

Where is the extra $4M going to come from?

(Not trolling, actually curious. This was a very good trade for the Leafs value wise)

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Have 2 generational centers and they cover up a lot of holes on your team. Those guys can win a series on their own. Nashville had Mike Fischer as their 2nd line center in that playoff run. Does that mean that your center core is "good" with RyJo and Fischer as your top 6 centers? I don't think so. Having a world class goalie, 2 #1 dmen, 2 #2 dmen, and a star winger helps cover the weak center core, but even that wasn't enough since they lost.
I was referring to Nashville's core of defenseman who included Subban, Josi and Ellis who was better on paper than Pittsburgh's defense due to their injuries.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I know that. They face very similar quality of competition, Muzzin not being a liability and being capable of carrying a second pairing is a big reason for that. That helps Doughty.

Actually, they don't face similar quality of competition. I posted about that last week. Muzzin has been 4th in QoC among defensemen on the team this season. It's noticeably lower than his usual defense partner, Martinez. Are you carrying your pairing when you face lower quality competition? He did have noticeably higher QoC than his partners the two previous years, but he also played a lot worse. It seems like getting easier minutes this year has really benefited him (i.e. he's the one benefiting, not Doughty)

Your ES numbers are incorrect, he's a +27 at ES and a +30 5v5 over his career, and those numbers include that -21 in 16-17.

You're right. I shouldn't have called them his career numbers. I meant that those are his stats since 2014-15, his first regular season as a top-4 defenseman. He was a +18 and a +11 in his rookie and sophomore years in 2012-13 and 2013-14, respectively, both played on the 3rd pairing. You were right to correct me, but I don't think that those seasons are really relevant to discussion of whether he's a top-4 (let alone, top pairing) defenseman.

Muzzin managed to contribute to two Stanley Cup wins and close to 500GP

Muzzin contributed to only one Cup win.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
LMAO. So when our goalie saves a game for us that we should have lost the Leafs outplayed us, but when the Leafs’ goalie saves a game for them that they should have lost they still outplayed us somehow because durr yay Toronto?

In both games the team that won was outplayed by the team that lost (with the exception of the goalies who stole the two games for their respective teams.) Only a complete delusional homer could watch those games and think his team was the better in both of them.
That is true. I can't really disagree with you there.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I was referring to Nashville's core of defenseman who included Subban, Josi and Ellis who was better on paper than Pittsburgh's defense due to their injuries.
Didn't they also have Frederic Gaudreau as their #1 center? Lol.

Point is that 2 generational centers will cover up A LOT more holes than 2 franchise centers. Also your starter being well rested helps a lot too. Look at the Caps last year.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Once Toronto officially clinches their playoff spot it's something we will not have to worry about.

Yeah, it's extremely unlikely and never going to happen so not worth worrying about, but I can just imagine the fans and media if we continue on a slide and it's close at the end. In an age where protecting 1sts for lottery wins is the new normal it's annoying just in principle if we didn't do it. Probably moreso with the Kessel trade picks fiasco in the recent past

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Amazing trade for Toronto!
We trade a B level prospect in Grundstrom, a D level prospect in Durzi and a late 1st.
We get 1.5 years of Muzzin (two runs at the cup).
Sure he’s not a RHD, but he can play the right side.
Really solidifies our backend.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

From my understanding it was all but decided that Gardiner was gone as they needed every cent for Matthews/Marner/Kap?

(Not trolling, actually curious. This was a very good trade for the Leafs value wise)

The obvious answer is to dump Zaitsev contract, but easier said than done. Must be done ideally before his NTC kicks in in July.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009

Many of us figured Gardiner was gone because he has not been great this season and will likely ask for 6 mil or so. I believe this trade all but guarantees Gardiner leaves.

And with that being said, gaining Muzzin makes losing a top 4 defender sting a little bit less this summer. This should also allow Dermott to move up, opening up a spot for Sandin or Liljegren.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
A lot of things i'm liking about this deal, LA turned Muzzin (a guy that LA took a flier on as a free agent) into three prospects which is fantastic asset management after helping us get a cup and his best years is behind him

Also, i'm happy that Muzzin will get a chance to show the Eastern Conference (ie the Hockey World) who he is, for he's pretty much a mystery to a lot of people just from how people react to his name on here, i can tell people are clueless

So he deserves it, it'll be good for him

LA wasn't going to re-sign him so to get those prospects is awesome

goodluck in TO Muzzzz!

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah, it's extremely unlikely and never going to happen so not worth worrying about, but I can just imagine the fans and media if we continue on a slide and it's close at the end. In an age where protecting 1sts for lottery wins is the new normal it's annoying just in principle if we didn't do it. Probably moreso with the Kessel trade picks fiasco in the recent past
We need to forget about what happened with the Kessel trade. Yes it sucked that Toronto ended up trading away the 2nd overall pick in 2010 and that it became Tyler Seguin, however for Dubas to trade away their 1st round pick shows he's not afraid.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
And it’s a much greater risk for the team who sells a guaranteed asset for possibilities.

What’s this “risk” for the kings you keep talking about like they got taken to the cleaners? Did they risk their playoff chances in the next two years? Hardly, did they increase they’re chances of higher picks for themselves? Absolutely. Did they get some prospects and a pick to do that? Yes. You do understand that every single NHL player and bust started as a pick or prospect right? I understand your need to ram this down all the “haters” throats, but you’re trying way to hard here. It’s a solid deal for both teams and I think you know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad