Confirmed Trade: [LAK/TOR] Jake Muzzin for 2019 1st round pick, Sean Durzi, and Carl Grundstrom - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 88115

Good trade for both teams. Like any trade we won't know who "won" for 1-2 seasons. All assets going to kings could bust out and/or muzzin could get injured or play like trash.

Leafs could end up winning SC with added D and Kings could end up with 3 solid assets.

WHO KNOWS
If you guys win the Cup this year or next, you won't care about who won the trade. That is why the Richards trade does not bother me at all

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
You're thinking of Dan Girardi. McDonagh might have been the rags best player that year and playoff run when they went to the cup.
Nope, giradi was a tire fire as well but McDonagh was putrid in the sc final. Anybody who says McDonagh is significany better than Muzzin must be blind.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Hedman > Rielly > McDonagh > Muzzin > Gardiner > Stralman > Sergachev > Coburn > Cernak > Dermott > Hainsey > Zaitsev

Questionable though. Obviously a step in the right direction to add Muzzin, but Tampa is still a far superior roster top to bottom.

Boston could easily take down Toronto... and if Price plays well, so could Montreal.

Toronto has a long three rounds ahead of them.

Here he we go with the nonsense...Boston could easily take us down but it always goes seven games? Montreal....now that’s funny, our forward depth would dismantle them lol.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Idk. I think Montreal could beat the Leafs.

Would need a Price showing up to win. But it is possible. Habs play a team game and are solid defensively.

Reactions: Runner77

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Yeah the Leafs definitely did good on this trade. Getting a top 4D without removing a roster player is always a great move for a potential roster player. Both prospects they gave up look good but definitely not "core" type prospects barring any unforeseen developments and picks are always crapshoots.

I've been saying since last year that this is likely the deepest their team will be in years.

IMO they should be looking at adding another D (a rental this time) to shore up the bottom pairing and be sure a player like Marincin isnt playing if there are injuries.
Call me greedy but I've been hoping for while that they could get 2 upgrades on the backend. Gudas makes too much sense. Having a top 6 of Rielly, Gardiner, Muzzin, Gudas, Gardiner and Dermott is good enough.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
The gap between the Bolts and Leafs is getting more and more narrow as time goes on. We have outplayed them in both games against them thus far and only Vas kept it 1-1.

It will not be an easy walk in the park for anyone let alone Boston. We got rid of defensively poor forwards and replaced them quite nicely and have added another 1C and now a solid #2D since we lost to them in Rd1.

We also won't be missing Kadri for 3 games either.

Montreal... Not worried about the Habs at all. Would love to somehow meet and crush them in the POs

Sure, but they're still the better squad overall. Also let's make it INCREDIBLY clear that regular season results have zero implication on playoff games.

Boston has the best shutdown center in the NHL, which will limit Tavares/Marner's offensive production. While the Leafs have some fantastic secondary scoring options (Kadri, Nylander, Matthews, Kapanen etc) it will effectively come down to which goaltender plays better.

I am not going to say Leafs fans should be worried about Montreal, but if Carey Price plays well the Habs as a roster will just outhustle the Leafs and that could be their downfall. That isnt a shot at the Leafs, but the Habs have several players who will play every shift like its their last (Domi, Gallagher, Shaw etc) and their scoring depth is just far superior. That series, (and quite frankly, every series for Montreal) comes down to if Price can be Price. I want to see that first round as a Habs fan, because if we lose it's not a big deal as the Leafs are "cup favourites" but if we win ... haha oh if we win.

Montreal....now that’s funny, our forward depth would dismantle them lol.

Again, not to say that regular season games matter all that much but the Habs ran all over Toronto in the season opener --- the Habs play gritty hockey and dominate 5on5, so as long as they can stay out of the box and Price can play well they actually match up very very well against Toronto. FWIW, Montreal is one of the best 50n5 teams in the League; if they can figure out how to fix their special teams to match they could absolutely be a threat.

Boston could easily take us down but it always goes seven games?

The fact remains that the addition of Tavares and further emergence of Marner makes you more dangerous, but does not make you a worldly different team, considering you're now less Bozak and JVR, and lowering Kadri's minutes. Adding Muzzin is great, but again that isn't enough to really push the meter... they can't play more than 25 minutes a game, and the other 35 minutes are where things get fun. Boston is a fantastic group top to bottom, they have far better defense and equally solid goaltending; it boils down to how well they play moreso than how well Toronto plays.

I watched all 7 games last year, and of the 3 wins Toronto had, 2 of them were COMPLETELY 100% Freddy standing on his head. Just a bad way to justify having close series when your goaltender bails you out consistently.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Hedman > Rielly > McDonagh > Muzzin > Gardiner > Stralman > Sergachev > Coburn > Cernak > Dermott > Hainsey > Zaitsev

Questionable though. Obviously a step in the right direction to add Muzzin, but Tampa is still a far superior roster top to bottom.

Boston could easily take down Toronto... and if Price plays well, so could Montreal.

Toronto has a long three rounds ahead of them.
This, again, is why people are off in their perception of Toronto's D. Dermott is criminally underrated and is better than a number of the guys you have ranked ahead. There's a case to be made he was Toronto's 2nd best D pre-Muzzin (last season included).

Reportedly NHL GMs/scouts have mentioned that they believe Dermott is going to be the player that puts Toronto over the top in the coming years.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The fact remains that the addition of Tavares and further emergence of Marner makes you more dangerous, but does not make you a worldly different team, considering you're now less Bozak and JVR, and lowering Kadri's minutes. Adding Muzzin is great, but again that isn't enough to really push the meter... they can't play more than 25 minutes a game, and the other 35 minutes are where things get fun. Boston is a fantastic group top to bottom, they have far better defense and equally solid goaltending; it boils down to how well they play moreso than how well Toronto plays.

I watched all 7 games last year, and of the 3 wins Toronto had, 2 of them were COMPLETELY 100% Freddy standing on his head. Just a bad way to justify having close series when your goaltender bails you out consistently.
Boston bottom 9 forwards outside of Krejci is pretty sub-par.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Good trade for both teams.
LA gets their price while Toronto adds a player they needed to give it a run this year as it might be harder next year and they get him a few weeks early to try and set the ship. Not surprised Toronto gave up their 1st nor am I surprised LA was able to get one + for Muzzin.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Check out @IanGraph’s Tweet:

Guiz, guiz. Toews is a more complete and better player than Crosby, raed allz abouts it!@!!

Comparison Dashboard.png

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Seems like a good trade
Ok anyone who is commenting from out East and using stupid metrics to say he is better than Doughty are seriously going to be very disappointed. Is muzz a good ? of course he is. is a very good, not elite top4 D. The problem is last year he had a career year. The year before he had his worst year. This year if he didn't join the leafs I think he would have finished with about 30-35 points. Now because any D capable of playing in the NHL will get 50-60 points easy over a full year. Toronto is a good offensive team, LA is not.

Here are some of the things I find odd. First I saw this tweet saying the Leafs basically gave up a second round pick. Uhh If they get bounced in the first round. That pick could be around 15th to 19th I saw a stat again this is just someone who is basing the players in last years draft to this years draft and the fact that a lot of gm,s are on record as saying unless we truly are a top 2 team we are not moving our 1st for a cup run. Anyways based on all the number crunching this guy did, in his analytical view, which everyone seems gaga over. A 15th overall this year will get you roughly what the 9th pick got you last year. The leafs honestly may end up facing TB or Bosten in the 1st round. 2 teams that I think they will lose to.

Now here is the funniest part. The leafs 4 best d are left shot d. Anyone who thinks you can just switch sides is sadly out to lunch. Imagine a baseball player who hits left all of a sudden decides to hit right. The only exception is if your a natural left-handed person like me. Who all the way till I broke my back while playing in the WHL in the late 90,s could switch sides on D., In fact, it is a huge advantage to be left-handed that is like most of us a right-hand shot but are able to play the offside just as well. In baseball, I did everything like a lefty except I was a better hitter from the right.

So can someone please explain how this trade is going to fix the problem on the right side of the leafs D? I have heard they are going to pair him with Reilly? Ya great thinking Doogie lets either throw our best D onto his offside or the guy they just anointed savior. or how about Gardiner and Muzz ? oh, Ya both Left shots. They basically solved one problem, they get one of those terrible RHD off the ice. But have created another by now hoping somehow one of these left shot d whose actual D besides Muzz isn't their strength. to now have to play a role they have not played. if leaf fans are hoping Muzz can play that side he can't he sucks ass at it. This coming from some insiders that one of my friends who is an agent was told by them off the record of course.
The only thing this does is keep Dermott out of the top 4 hopefully next year once Jakew is gone. Sadly the Leafs D will be even worse next year with no cap room. Think im full of crap? well lets revisit this when both Morgan Jake and Jakes points Plus/minus and overall stats staret going down.

Reactions: crassbonanza

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Andersen had a .896 save percentage and 3.76 GAA in last years playoffs. Some bailing out he did.

And that’s not to say the Leafs can’t go far with Andersen, his playoff state besides last year are actually very solid,m. But last season his poor play was a big reason why the Leafs fell.

Last edited:
Reactions: TML1990

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Hedman > Rielly
McDonagh ~ Muzzin
Stralman > Gardiner
Sergachev < Dermott

Tampa, but less significant of a margin now
Mcdo is bettwer than Muzz. Serg sucks just a little less then Travis does. Its funny to see all these east coast people who never have even see Muzz play except when he is in Toronto comment like someone who watches him 20 times a year min

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
This, again, is why people are off in their perception of Toronto's D. Dermott is criminally underrated and is better than a number of the guys you have ranked ahead. There's a case to be made he was Toronto's 2nd best D pre-Muzzin (last season included).

Reportedly NHL GMs/scouts have mentioned that they believe Dermott is going to be the player that puts Toronto over the top in the coming years.
Dermott is underrated by Leafs fans too. Hes a really good all-round 2nd pairing player. Hes probably the smartest Dman on the Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad