Confirmed Trade: [LAK/TOR] Jake Muzzin for 2019 1st round pick, Sean Durzi, and Carl Grundstrom - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
What? You think if it wasn't Grunstrom they would have had to deal Nylander or Kapanen, Grunstrom isn't even our best forward prospect that's Bracco
I see Grundstrom and Bracco as being of similar value. Completely different players though so they're hard to compare.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
How much is it going to cost to dump Zaitsev 5y contract? By my scientific calculation, even with Gardiner/Hainsey gone, Leafs are 2 millions over next year with Muzzin in. Marleau has a full NMC.

They have to do it before July 1st ideally because then his NTC kicks in.

By scientific calculation what you really mean is numbers you pulled out of thin air

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Well, take this year and last year then, when he's been a +18 at even strength, best among D on the team (Doughty is a +9). He's has better possession metrics than his teammates. He's the only regular defenseman who has been a + in expected goals. His QOC over that span is in line is barely below Doughty, he's had solid deployments while having a lower QOT. He's put up more points than Doughty at ES over the last season and a half, all this while playing 300 less minutes at ES.

That's a recent sample as you are going to get, and his numbers better than Doughty's in almost every facet. He put up a career high in points last year and has been fantastic this year. You aren't going to find much more relevant numbers than that, and those are top pairing numbers.

He's had a good couple of seasons, but he's also faced the lowest QoC of LA's top 4 in each season. His may look like top pairing numbers, but they weren't achieved under the conditions that top pairing players face. Doughty would no doubt have much better numbers if he weren't facing the other teams' best players every shift.

View media item 3829View media item 3827

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Good trade for both teams. Toronto got a player they really needed and LA got tremendous value for him. Just goes to show you what type of market it is at or near this deadline.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
He's had a good couple of seasons, but he's also faced the lowest QoC of LA's top 4 in each season. His may look like top pairing numbers, but they weren't achieved under the conditions that top pairing players face. Doughty would no doubt have much better numbers if he weren't facing the other teams' best players every shift.

View media item 3829View media item 3827

Offensive deployment is largely in Doughtys favour, and having good underlying number with the defensive starts that Muzzin was getting is more impressive than slightly higher QoC.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I see Grundstrom and Bracco as being of similar value. Completely different players though so they're hard to compare.

Yeah the Leafs definitely did good on this trade. Getting a top 4D without removing a roster player is always a great move for a potential roster player. Both prospects they gave up look good but definitely not "core" type prospects barring any unforeseen developments and picks are always crapshoots.

I've been saying since last year that this is likely the deepest their team will be in years.

IMO they should be looking at adding another D (a rental this time) to shore up the bottom pairing and be sure a player like Marincin isnt playing if there are injuries.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Welp, much needed help on the blue line for the Leafs. Seems like a reasonable deal for both sides.

I do think this should make the Leafs even more dangerous in the playoffs. Assuming Muzzin acclimates quickly.

As for the McDonough vs Muzzin question, it depends. I mean I’d trade McDonough either way, but how close is it? McDonough the first 25-30 games this year was ridiculous. Top 10 in the league easily. Last 10-15 games he’s definitely tailed off. Curious how he responds after the break.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Between trading Brown and saving 500k it would.

The Leafs only need a year of cap saving. After than Marleau is off the books, as well as Horton. Trades can continue being made in addition to the rising cap.

So the answer is:

Keep Zaitsev.
Trade Kadri + pick for Pesce.
Trade Brown for future considerations.

And then have around 600 000$ cap space.

I still think dumping Zaitsev would be a better option, but that is not bad.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This is a massive addition to the Leafs. I guy who can actually hack it defensively on the top-pair. This probably requires shifting Reilly to the right side, but he's done it before.

Now if Babcock actually played his four best defenders in the top-four, I'd say the Leafs can make a run at the East. Dermott played the right side in Junior.

Muzzin - Reilly
Gardiner - Dermott
Hainsey - Zaitsev

Maybe Oz over Hainsey for some more mobility. I guess this ensures that the Leafs will not be retaining Gardiner in the offseason though.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
So the answer is:

Keep Zaitsev.
Trade Kadri + pick for Pesce.
Trade Brown for future considerations.

And then have around 600 000$ cap space.

I still think dumping Zaitsev would be a better option, but that is not bad.

Thats one option. Dumping Zaitsev is another. Im just saying it isnt as black and white as youre making it seem.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Great trade for both teams. Muzzin is a massive upgrade to the Leafs' blueline. I'm also ecstatic we didn't have to give up Liljegren or Kappy, but we still paid a big price. Grundstrom is a very good prospect, while Durzi has done very well for Owen Sound (and now Guelph) over the last 2 years.

Also, extremely happy for Mo Rielly. He's played his entire career with the likes of Hunwick and Hainsey. He's finally going to be playing with a great d-man.

Reactions: BHD

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
McDonagh is significantly better than Muzzin. Sergachev is significantly better than Dermott.
They didn't look significantly better last time they played against each other. Muzzin /McDonaugh ,don't see the big difference ,but looking forward to the next match up

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Between trading Brown and saving 500k it would.

The Leafs only need a year of cap saving. After than Marleau is off the books, as well as Horton. Trades can continue being made in addition to the rising cap.

Horton is meaningless as he’s a permanent fixture on LTIR both off and in season.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Muzzin is a really good addition for the Leafs. Now its clear that Gardiner is absolutely not going to be back with the Leafs next season. This seals his fate. In giving up the 1st+ it is very nice for the Leafs that Muzzin has another year & its a very good cap hit for what he brings.

Still will leave them in a pickle cap wise. And now Dubas is going to have to get himself out of it. He's talked the talk, now he's going to have to walk the walk.

So far I question signing Nylander (for more than he's earned IMO) with the promise they won't trade him. And waiting to sign Marner long term. We will see what Dubas does next but atleast going into this playoff run they will have Rielly, Muzzin & Gardiner.

Don't know if just this move puts them above Tampa, but their playoff chances are better now than they were yesterday.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
I'll take Rielly Muzzin Gardiner up against Hedman McDonagh Stralman as a Leafs fan.

I'll take Cernak Sergachev Coburn up against Dermott Zaitsev Hainsey as well.

See y'all in Round 2.

Hedman > Rielly > McDonagh > Muzzin > Gardiner > Stralman > Sergachev > Coburn > Cernak > Dermott > Hainsey > Zaitsev

Questionable though. Obviously a step in the right direction to add Muzzin, but Tampa is still a far superior roster top to bottom.

Boston could easily take down Toronto... and if Price plays well, so could Montreal.

Toronto has a long three rounds ahead of them.

Reactions: Runner77 and tmac51

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Obviously a step in the right direction to add Muzzin, but Tampa is still a far superior roster top to bottom.

Boston could easily take down Toronto... and if Price plays well, so could Montreal.

The gap between the Bolts and Leafs is getting more and more narrow as time goes on. We have outplayed them in both games against them thus far and only Vas kept it 1-1.

It will not be an easy walk in the park for anyone let alone Boston. We got rid of defensively poor forwards and replaced them quite nicely and have added another 1C and now a solid #2D since we lost to them in Rd1.

We also won't be missing Kadri for 3 games either.

Montreal... Not worried about the Habs at all. Would love to somehow meet and crush them in the POs

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Hedman > Rielly > McDonagh > Muzzin > Gardiner > Stralman > Sergachev > Coburn > Cernak > Dermott > Hainsey > Zaitsev

Questionable though. Obviously a step in the right direction to add Muzzin, but Tampa is still a far superior roster top to bottom.

Dermott is much too low there, of course.

and Stralman is not looking good at all.

Rielly - Hedman
Muzzin - Mcdonagh
Gardiner - Cernak
Dermott - Sergachev
Zaitsev - Stralman
Hainsey - Coburn

really not much to choose from tbh.

current Corsica ratings for interest:

Rielly #16 ------ Hedman #7
Muzzin #39 --- Mcdonagh #42
Gardiner #32 - Stralman #82
Dermott #69 -- Sergachev #59
Hainsey #103 - Cernak #107
Ozhiganov #112 - Girardi #137
Zaitsev #177 --- Coburn #188

Corsica thinks it's pretty close up and down, except for Gardiner being significantly better than Stralman in the #3 slot.

Last edited:
Reactions: leafs94

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Only concern is how Rielly/Muzzin gel and who can adapt to the RD slot easier.

1st round pick is mandatory even if Muzzin were UFA.

Grundstrom is a nice top 9 forward prospect that can probably play 3rd wheel on a scoring line.

Durzi is kind of meh, I didn't want to draft him with our 2nd so the Leafs kind of made up for it with the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad