Confirmed Trade: [LAK/TOR] Jake Muzzin for 2019 1st round pick, Sean Durzi, and Carl Grundstrom - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
The obvious solution is trading Marleau back to SJ after they payout his bonuses. Leafs could also retain a few mil if needed.

Not really. Fans are discussing whether Pavelski is worth signing if Karlsson re-signs. I don't think Marleau is in the cards without a sweetener.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
[MOD]

Truth: Leafs paid market value for a very good #3 dman which was their biggest need. Leafs got better and the Kings added really good assets in a lost season. Basically a win-win.

For those saying people said it would cost Nylander, there were the obvious troll posts but I think that was intended for the people wanting the leafs to go after Pesce/Pietro/Parayko, and they are probably right. Muzzin is a tier below and the cost was in line with his value.

Now I like this deal for the Leafs, I think they needed to make a move to improve their D and they did that without subtracting from their current roster so good move Dubas and congrats Leafs fans, your odds of winning the cup took a big jump today.

Last edited by a moderator:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think it's good for both teams. Kings get an injection of youth and Leafs get a proven d-man for 1.5 seasons.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
ok TWO THINGS GUYS, make this embedded for all daft minded people to see

from LA's perspective, it never cost them a thing to get Muzzin, they didn't draft him or trade for him, they just signed him and developed a career... he's like a Carl Gunnarsson, Alex Iafallo, Fabian Brunnstrom, Panarin, Marchessault, type (the list goes on)... so there's no risk in acquiring three prospects, it's solid asset management. The risk was to keep Muzzin and have his play deteriorate to a point where he'd have no value anymore

from TO's perspective, people that are "concerned" for their cap... have you guys not noticed that there's no team ever that surpasses the cap? Meaning they ****ing manage... it's not a big deal, LA buried Mike Richards' contract (skillfully mind you) and TO once traded David Clarkson (to name a few examples), i think NHL teams aren't as worried about the cap as some fans on here

Gunnarsson may only have been a 7th round pick.... but he was still drafted!

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
I mean you can use random graphs to show almost anything?

Also why is it only 60 games tracked for Muzzin and 120 for McDonagh?
Because of the line above lol. Go ahead I'll wait for your random graph now..

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I think you are hoping the leafs have a problem rather then looking at it objectively. The leafs roster is loaded with talent and void of no movement clauses. They have every option available to them to navigate the cap (except moving Tavares). They also have great management and capologists and scouts. They can handle this.

I'm sure they will. Question is, how?

1- Downgrading the roster shedding salary via trade without having a equivalent roster player back?
(ex: Kadri for picks, Kapanen for picks, etc.)

This does not make sense for a team that wants to contend IMO.

2- Paying someone to take a bad contract for assets?
(ex: Zaitsev + prospects + picks for future considerations)

Hence my question; how much would it cost to dump Zaitsev contract?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Good deal for both sides. I know some fellow Leafs fans think Dubas gave up a bit too much but this is what top D cost, and one that's signed through next season as well. The Leafs had to make a move. Grundstrom is a nice prospect but hes not going to be a star. Durzi is a decent prospect and a wild card which makes him intriguing and the first is likely late, hopefully last.

Reactions: meefer and NovaLeaf

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Girardi is TBLs top pair RD. They don't have a good defence?

He really isn’t though, despite being paired with Hedman a decent percentage of the time. Stralman is our top RD but we usually play him with McDonagh as our shutdown pairing. In the playoffs however you can expect to see a lot of Hedman-Stralman in critical situations. And while Stralman was injured Cernak developed excellent chemistry with McDonagh as well, so despite Cooper’s longstanding favoritism toward veterans if Girardi struggles in the playoffs again there’s a good chance he’ll be benched in favor of Hedman-Stralman, McDonagh-Cernak, and Coburn-Sergachev.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Because of the line above lol. Go ahead I'll wait for your random graph now..

Didn't someone already say these graphs show Draisaitl is better than Matthews?

I think you'll have a very hard time finding people who agree with you here.

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
Good fit for that Leafs d-core, adds some elements that they lack. The fact that they have him for two playoffs at that cap hit while only giving up a late first and some B prospects. Very good trade for the Leafs. Good return for the Kings too and they just have to hope that one of Grundstrom, Durzi or the late first turns out to be something worthwhile.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Pretty classic hf thread. Let me recap
Leaf fans - “yes! Best deal ever, gave up a early 2nd and 2 meh prospects”

Kings fans - “yes! Got a 1st and 2 top prospects for a guy who’s lost a step”

Leafs fans - “ha, ha everyone one said it would cost us Nylander and a 1st, only cost a couple worthless pieces”

Truth: Leafs paid market value for a very good #3 dman which was their biggest need. Leafs got better and the Kings added really good assets in a lost season. Basically a win-win.

For those with a persecution complex saying people said it would cost Nylander, there were the obvious troll posts but I think that was intended for the people wanting the leafs to go after Pesce/Pietro/Parayko, and they are probably right. Muzzin is a tier below and the cost was in line with his value.

Now I like this deal for the Leafs, I think they needed to make a move to improve their D and they did that without subtracting from their current roster so good move Dubas and congrats Leafs fans, your odds of winning the cup took a big jump today.
Took a big leap with muzzin in fold Lol. Is this ray bourque here we are talking about? Give me a break. Still could be a one and done series with the Bruins .

Reactions: Ridley Simon

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
He really isn’t though, despite being paired with Hedman a decent percentage of the time. Stralman is our top RD but we usually play him with McDonagh as our shutdown pairing. In the playoffs however you can expect to see a lot of Hedman-Stralman in critical situations. And while Stralman was injured Cernak developed excellent chemistry with McDonagh as well, so despite Cooper’s longstanding favoritism toward veterans if Girardi struggles in the playoffs again there’s a good chance he’ll be benched in favor of Hedman-Stralman, McDonagh-Cernak, and Coburn-Sergachev.

I'll take Rielly Muzzin Gardiner up against Hedman McDonagh Stralman as a Leafs fan.

I'll take Cernak Sergachev Coburn up against Dermott Zaitsev Hainsey as well.

See y'all in Round 2.

Stu

Nov 20, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Mcdonagh is head and shoulders a better dman than muzzin.

Can't believe I even saw that compared.

The metrics don’t agree. Muzzin has been very good this year and last.

Solid trade, Kings got a couple of nice pieces. Hopefully this will help both teams.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Check out @IanGraph’s Tweet:

That post doesn’t tell the whole story. First of all McDonagh was garbage last season but has been superb this year - he’s arguably been our best defenseman this season. And second Serg likes playing on his offside and may well be better on the right, so handedness relative to side played isn’t the issue for him that it is for most other players.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Very happy with this trade. Really helps shore up our D and puts us in a much better place going into the playoffs.

Grundstrom is a good player. LA fans will like him.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Saving 500 000$ would not solve the salary cap issue.

Between trading Brown and saving 500k it would.

The Leafs only need a year of cap saving. After than Marleau is off the books, as well as Horton. Trades can continue being made in addition to the rising cap.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Took a big leap with muzzin in fold Lol. Is this ray bourque here we are talking about? Give me a break. Still could be a one and done series with the Bruins .
Not sure why this is a lol - I think this puts the Leafs ahead of the B’s especially with the injury to Rask. I’m a canucks fan so I have no horse in this race, and given that the leafs don’t lose anything from their roster but add a #3 D is a solid move

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Grundstrom is a great get for the Kings. I'm pretty shocked that the Leafs traded for him TBH. But I guess this was as good as it was going to get without having to give up Nylander or Kapanen.

What? You think if it wasn't Grunstrom they would have had to deal Nylander or Kapanen, Grunstrom isn't even our best forward prospect that's Bracco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad