Confirmed Trade: [LAK/PIT] Tanner Pearson for Carl Hagelin (6.25% retained)

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
It must be pretty awesome for Pearson to play with these Malkin and Kessel guys.

I like Kopitar and Carter as players and all, but those guys fit better with Pearson.

this is true

Kopitar specifically, is a player that requires help on the wing, he can't do it alone

But to be fair, Pearson never played w/ Kopitar

Carter helped Pearson for most of his career, but obviously you can't compare Carter to a guy like Malkin, it's just another level

Also, unlike Kopitar, players like Crosby & Malkin require no help, therefore a guy like Pearson fits well

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
this is true

Kopitar specifically, is a player that requires help on the wing, he can't do it alone

Carter helped Pearson for most of his career, but obviously you can't compare Carter to a guy like Malkin, it's just another level

Also, unlike Kopitar, players like Crosby & Malkin require no help, therefore a guy like Pearson fits well
Well yes and no, Crosby and Gino are no doubt elite players but to say they don’t require help is extremely misleading.
Those are two elite C’s that help each other by not allowing teams the ability to solely focus a defensive scheme around them like teams can easily do for Kopitar. TP is in a much better situation and I expect him to continue to thrive

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
this is true

Kopitar and Malkin/Sid are on the same level.

what help does Kopitar get?

Washed Dustin Brown? Lol. He's been playing elite hockey for years with no help.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Well yes and no, Crosby and Gino are no doubt elite players but to say they don’t require help is extremely misleading.
Those are two elite C’s that help each other by not allowing teams the ability to solely focus a defensive scheme around them like teams can easily do for Kopitar. TP is in a much better situation and I expect him to continue to thrive
Not true at all. Kopitar is his own biggest problem. He doesn't make anyone on the ice more dangerous, he rarely creates any chances.

Nobody - nobody at all - is double teaming him. He has a knack for pulling up right where the defense can move up and the strong side wingers can take one stride to pressure him. He is doing it to himself because he just won't take the puck to the net.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Pearson wasn’t doing sheet in LA.

He needed the change of scenery.

It’s a shame the Kings had to sell low.
The Kings have a lot of good players that aren't playing well. Pearson is far from the only example. But that doesn't mean that you have to move him on the cheap.

His contract is perfectly reasonable for his play, he was just in a rut on a bad team and was very likely going to do well with a change of scenery.

Reactions: johnjm22

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
The Kings have a lot of good players that aren't playing well. Pearson is far from the only example. But that doesn't mean that you have to move him on the cheap.

His contract is perfectly reasonable for his play, he was just in a rut on a bad team and was very likely going to do well with a change of scenery.

A rut since March that likely would have continued. You’re right about the team, they need to blow it up.

Reactions: King Trouty

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I never paid much attention to Pearson before the trade, so when the deal went down, I was just hoping he could skate and had NHL hands, unlike Hags who has ECHL enforcer hands.

Pearson is definitely taking advantage of the chances Kessel and Malkin generate, because he has the hands and shot to finish, but he’s also able to dish to them and create opportunities for those two to score as well.

It’s a big contrast to Hags who was like a Tasmanian devil out there chasing down loose pucks and forechecking, but he had such a craptacular shot and hands, that he was the champ of blown opportunities.

I remember one of Hags last games as a Pen, it was a close game and he made a great play to beat the blueliner to the puck and he pushed it behind the net to Malkin and eventually found himself out in front with a wide open net off a rebound... and he shot it three feet over the net.

That was Hags career as a Pen in a nutshell.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Hags is an amazing forechecker, backchecker, penalty killer etc. A great addition to any team's bottom 6. The problem in Pittsburgh is that we had no one better than him to play LW with Malkin and Kessel (Guentzel is locked in with Crosby). Pearson fits Malkin and Kessel way better.

Now that our top 6 (pending Hornqvist return from injury) is set, we need to work on the bottom 6. Would love to have Hags back to help there but that's the price you pay. We need Rust to quit gripping the stick too tight and the 3rd line will start to look a lot better.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
problem is, we'll get low balled on every damn deal if the players don't turn it around
Unfortunately, that is just the way it goes. The Flames sold low on Iginla and Bouwmeester, something that could have definitely helped us when we began our rebuild with better pieces coming back to us. Ottawa recently traded Karlsson wayyy below market value. I think it really depends on the situation and the GM and how trigger happy they get. I feel like Feaster didn't care about prospects and wanted draft picks. Ottawa may have done the same since they lost out on their 2019 1st to Colorado.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
How has Hags been? I was a fan of the trade then and obviously still am, but I am a big Hagelin fan after his days in Pittsburgh. Very fond memories. Hope he's playing well out there.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I was actually kind of surprised by Hagelin's all-around game. Not that Pens fans didn't mention it, I just thought that was something you said when low-production forwards get traded :laugh:

He's actually got a pretty damn high IQ, you can tell he wants to do more with the puck but just can't lol--but to flip that, he can actually read plays really really well and that also makes him very effective gumming up opposing breakouts. Can see why he'd be pretty valuable at the deadline.

He's a very good possession guy and a smart player. He just has no hands or shot.

I miss him, and I'll always be thankful for his contributions towards 2 Cups. But you gotta give to get and the Pens badly needed some scoring depth, which Pearson provides better than Hags.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
How has Hags been? I was a fan of the trade then and obviously still am, but I am a big Hagelin fan after his days in Pittsburgh. Very fond memories. Hope he's playing well out there.
He's week to week with an MCL sprain. He was doing well on a line with Kempe and Luff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad