Confirmed Trade: [LAK/PIT] Tanner Pearson for Carl Hagelin (6.25% retained)

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
They can sell Hagelin as a rental at the deadline and have 3.75MM of cap space freed up going forward. Wouldn't surprise me if they pulled a late 1st for him; he's one of the most experienced playoff guys of the last 5 or 6 years.

I guess Hagelin may be worth more as a rental

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Ignore the fans that are trashing Pearson on his way out. He's not nearly as bad as you may be led to believe. He's simply not producing this season... on a team on which few players are and the mood is heavy. That doesn't excuse his performance, but it suggests that he could bounce back. Getting out of that environment and a chance to start over is a blessing for him. I'm not sure if he'll hit 24 goals again (that was due to a perfect storm of line chemistry and confidence), but I'm sure that he can be a 15 goal scorer again, if not this season, then next season. If he can't stick as a 2nd liner, he should always have a place in the league as at least as a 3rd liner, since he's at least decent at just about everything (i.e. nothing really stands out as a glaring weakness). He's a very respectable player if you don't expect too much from him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Ignore the fans that are trashing Pearson on his way out. He's not nearly as bad as you may be led to believe. He's simply not producing this season... on a team on which few players are and the mood is heavy. That doesn't excuse his performance, but it suggests that he could bounce back. Getting out of that environment and a chance to start over is a blessing for him. I'm not sure if he'll hit 24 goals again (that was due to a perfect storm of line chemistry and confidence), but I'm sure that he can be a 15 goal scorer again, if not this season, then next season. If he can't stick at a 2nd liner, he should always have a place in the league, at least as a 3rd liner, since he's at least decent at just about everything. He's a very respectable player if you don't expect too much from him.

I don't think it is fair to trash or praise Pearson. The objective facts are that he was a promising 15-20 goal scorer early on in his career, with promise of being a strong 2nd or 3rd line forward. His play has significantly dropped off the past 2 years. If his confidence goes up, he is in a different environment or gels with his new linemates, he could be pretty good again. It's a bit of a risk for Pittsburgh, but not a tremendous one.

From LA's perspective, if they held onto Pearson longer and he continued to not score then the trade prospects could completely eliminate. They would have to keep Pearson (as a negative value asset) with the hope that he would rebound next season. If he turned his game around, however, they could get a better deal for him. Blake decided to take the safe approach and get him off the books.

How good Hagelin is or not is not important for the Kings. He won't be hear past the trade deadline. Even the Kings' mouthpiece, John Rosen, wrote an article today stating that he is likely gone by the deadline, which says a lot. Rosen doesn't usually say anything controversial because he is just the Kings PR guy.

This trade is a risk for both parties. The winner remains to be seen.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Hags has been pretty bad with production since HBK stopped being good. Pearson is younger and has similar production in that time. This is a lateral move at worst for Pittsburgh because we know what Hagelin can do here, and Pearson can do the same thing. Maybe Pearson will grow into a better offensive player. That's what it's about from a Pens perspective.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
it was a good, albeit minor, trade for both teams

and hopefully it provides dividends for both, there's literally no ill will between the Kings & Pens lol

for sure LA's content for offloading a 2 year contract, this matters because LA's in some kind of a cap hell for now, slowly digging their way out

and for the Pens, we all know Pearson is a capable player and should be a better player than Hagelin, just gotta make sure he gets back to last season's production. He needs to produce otherwise he's useless

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
If LA were to trade hagelin, how long must they wait to trade him? Is there an nhl rule where new aquired players must be with their new team for an allotted amount of time?

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
If LA were to trade hagelin, how long must they wait to trade him? Is there an nhl rule where new aquired players must be with their new team for an allotted amount of time?

I don't think so, didn't SJ flip Hoffman right away after they got him from Ottawa?

Reactions: Jtown

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Looks like the Pens PK could have used some help tonight.

So Pens fans, what are your impressions after game one? Did you barely notice him on the ice? If so, that’s his biggest talent.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Kings get older, makes sense.

I think how "old" a team is or isn't is pretty overrated. Going from Pearson to Hagelin doesn't move the needle all that much. Plus with Hagelin's skating and that his contract is done at the end of the season, it's not like you have a big commitment to someone who's in their mid 30s.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
LA players are so ingrained with a defense first don’t make mistakes mentality that I think creativity suffers. He is likely a 20-20-40 player at his best. He may find that again in Pitt. I still think his best asset now is front net presence and dirty work when he is on his game.

Good luck to him honestly.

Something that Pittsburgh desperately needs. In 2015/16 and 16/17 we had Kunitz to help with that role behind Hornqvist. We had no one really there last season after Kunitz walked.

The Alien

From another world.
Apr 1, 2015
BC
Alright, fine, if you want to analyze it, that's a good point. If the Kings just wanted to move on from Pearson, then Hagelin is a fine gamble; good pker and speed is always an asset, used correctly.
Hagelin is an impending UFA and Pearson has term left on his deal. The Kings cleared future cap space and gained a tradeable deadline asset.

The one thing I will mention is how ineffective he was in his brief time in Anaheim. I'm not sure if his game is suited for the West. It'll be interesting to see how he's used in the short time he spends in LA. If Rieder's short time there is any evidence, it'll be ineffectively.

The Alien

From another world.
Apr 1, 2015
BC
I think how "old" a team is or isn't is pretty overrated. Going from Pearson to Hagelin doesn't move the needle all that much. Plus with Hagelin's skating and that his contract is done at the end of the season, it's not like you have a big commitment to someone who's in their mid 30s.
I generally disagree, as a guy who is getting older, I've noticed little strains and bumps on the ice affect me longer, granted, I'm not in NHL shape by a long shot.

It sounds like LA might have been ready to move on from Pearson, so they could do worse than bringing in a guy like Hagelin and adding that speed dimension.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I generally disagree, as a guy who is getting older, I've noticed little strains and bumps on the ice affect me longer, granted, I'm not in NHL shape by a long shot.

It sounds like LA might have been ready to move on from Pearson, so they could do worse than bringing in a guy like Hagelin and adding that speed dimension.

I'm sure the players do too. But the difference between 26/30? You're not going to see much of a difference for strains and bumps. If Hagelin was 33/35+ you'd have a point, but 30? Meh. Again, it's not like he has a contract that will take him into his mid 30s. That is when getting older could be an issue. Or if you're talking about moving someone who's 22 for someone who's 30. But neither of these are the case here.

Reactions: Reaper45

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Eklund says that LA now has "serious interest" in Mats Zuccarello. Blake's grand scheme becomes clearer by the day. He's trying to corner the market on over-30 players. By the time that the deadline rolls around, any contenders looking for veterans will have to line up at his door.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad