Waived: [LAK] D Tobias Bjornfot waived by the Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Bjornfot is a replacement level player and nothing he has done at any level in the past 3 years indicates he'll be anything more than that.

He has name recognition because he was a 1st round pick, even though he shouldn't have been, but he'll probably pass through waivers.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Blake really doesn't value picks, prospects, and goaltending

it's bizarre for a dude that spent 20 years in the NHL as a player

goes to show you that EXPERTISE doesn't always translate into KNOWLEDGE
Or skills transfer as smarts

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Bjornfot's biggest issue is he lacks an identity, and the Kings either could not help him find it or they just wanted him to play outside his means along the way.

He's a mobile defenseman who lacks strength, and also lacks elite offensive ability. He does use his speed to try to pinch on an attack, but due to his limited offense, doesn't lead to much.

If you're looking for a defensive defenseman who has good mobility, Bjornfot checks the boxes. If you're looking for a "shut down"/physical defenseman or someone who generates a lot of offense, you'd best look elsewhere.

I like him, but as mentioned, he suffers from lack of identity.

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
Total mismanagement by the Kings. Part of this is being passed on depth charts, but part is just the fact that he simply hasnt been given a fair shot to succeed, IMO. I hope he gets picked up, because he deserves a legit opportunity. I think he can very much still turn into a #4/#5 type of guy. Has no glaring weaknesses.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I’d like the Flames to claim him, if he’s a dud, oh well. Not sure we have the cap space to do it tho

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Big moment for Clarke.

I'd expect a team to try Bjornfot as a reclamation, but I just as easily wouldn't be surprised if he clears. 22 y/o d-man. former first round pick, decent international resume...there could be takers.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
If he was a RH shooter I'd want the Blues to grab him with Faulk injured. But. We already have 83 LH shots in the organization.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Bjornfot's biggest issue is he lacks an identity, and the Kings either could not help him find it or they just wanted him to play outside his means along the way.

He's a mobile defenseman who lacks strength, and also lacks elite offensive ability. He does use his speed to try to pinch on an attack, but due to his limited offense, doesn't lead to much.

If you're looking for a defensive defenseman who has good mobility, Bjornfot checks the boxes. If you're looking for a "shut down"/physical defenseman or someone who generates a lot of offense, you'd best look elsewhere.

Sounds like he'd fit pretty well in the Avs' system.

As long as he can skate, decent in his own zone, make a simple outlet pass, and can keep the play alive from pinching/reading the play i'd easily take a flyer on him, but I imagine another team will claim him.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017

Sign me up, I'd prefer shutdown but any defensive d-man who can be claimed off waivers and is only 22 is good enough for me.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Sounds like he'd fit pretty well in the Avs' system.

As long as he can skate, decent in his own zone, make a simple outlet pass, and can keep the play alive from pinching/reading the play i'd easily take a flyer on him, but I imagine another team will claim him.

Boy oh boy you just read his scouting report perfectly

Big moment for Clarke.

I'd expect a team to try Bjornfot as a reclamation, but I just as easily wouldn't be surprised if he clears. 22 y/o d-man. former first round pick, decent international resume...there could be takers.

With literally every Kings castoff not named Petersen playing key roles on playoff teams this year someone would be silly to NOT claim him

Reactions: chris kontos

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
IMO, 50/50 whether he gets claimed or not. Of course teams would be happy to have him if he could go straight to their AHL club, but claiming Bjornfot basically means waiving a dman currently on your NHL roster. Bjornfot looked reasonably good in his draft, D+1 and D+2 years, but has if anything regressed in his D+3, D+4 and current (D+5) years. It's not clear to me that he's better than any current 6D on an NHL roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ciao

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
If he was right handed, they would have been able to get a 3rd rounder for him. Left handed and he gets waived.

Hockey parents… make sure your kids shoot right.

• Haha
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Blake really doesn't value picks, prospects, and goaltending

it's bizarre for a dude that spent 20 years in the NHL as a player

goes to show you that EXPERTISE doesn't always translate into KNOWLEDGE
Just a little challenge for you. Go back, look at the 2019 draft and see who actually panned out from that draft slot on. Blake actually had one of the better drafts if you look at NHL games played by their 2019 drafted players and that is saying a lot with the Turcotte pick barely making a dent.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Just a little challenge for you. Go back, look at the 2019 draft and see who actually panned out from that draft slot on. Blake actually had one of the better drafts if you look at NHL games played by their 2019 drafted players and that is saying a lot with the Turcotte pick barely making a dent.

i didn't say LA doesn't draft well, you misunderstood my point

**edit** but you actually add to my point, i think the scouts do a good job, but then why trade them away so easily? But it's when you throw them on waivers that really stings, especially if your statement is true

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
The Oilers have an empty #7 D slot... would also take a flyer on him as I would've with Megna

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
i didn't say LA doesn't draft well, you misunderstood my point

**edit** but you actually add to my point, i think the scouts do a good job, but then why trade them away so easily? But it's when you throw them on waivers that really stings, especially if your statement is true

To add to your point both Vilardi and Iafallo has looked better since leaving Kings imo.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad