Waived: [LAK] D Tobias Bjornfot waived by the Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Yes.

The problem last year was the return to health of Walker and the development of Durzi leading to a logjam of defensemen who would have to clear waivers. Bjornfot was the only one eligible to be sent down, and he was put in the AHL without even being considered in camp. The team stayed healthy on the backend all year, so he wasn't called up.

Rumors have been that several Kings prospects had been openly griping that they were ready and better than the players in LA who were protected by their waiver status - and they were right. Can't say specifically that Bjornfot was part of this group, but the reasons for his stalled development all seem to be off-ice.

LA does an extremely poor job developing skilled players. They take ages to bloom and in many cases its after they are out of waiver options and/or in another organization. And its all because their management group is a frat house of former players who are stuck on the idea that Kopitar and Doughty deserve chance after chance at another Cup despite not winning a single playoff series in 9 seasons.

This is the team that traded Brock Faber and Gabe Vilardi to chase something they cannot catch.
Sean Durzi too

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
200w (1).gif

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Another huge 1st round whiff by Blake, no other way to look at it.
You dont draft well, Rob.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If he were a RH shooter, he'd be claimed in an instant. As it stands though...unless one of the teams dealing with injuries decides to take a flyer, i doubt he's claimed.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I remember after the Muzzin trade, they drafted him with our first and he started the year with Doughty on the top pair and people were saying how big of a steal he was. This is why sample sizes matter.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I liked him in his draft year and at the WJC. I’m surprised. I thought he’d settle in to a role.

Meh... didn't care for any of his AHL play back in 2020-2021. Same with Soderstrom. Folks are too obsessed with draft pedigree. On the flipside I was always impressed by Byfield, Drysdale, Jarvis, and Boldy in the AHL.

Reactions: funky and Blueston

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It doesn't help him that he's a lefty and doesn't stand out at anything in particular but if I was a bad team with roster room I'd take a flyer, it's basically a free prospect.

Reactions: funky

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Could see the Flames making a claim.

You can put it on development or whatever if you want but I just don't think he's all that good. Doesn't have the talent to be much more than bottom pairing and doesn't have the physicality to be what teams are looking for there anyway. Maybe under the right coach and opportunity somebody could get some use out of him but I just don't see much upside.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Would love a flames claim here if nothing else but to keep Jordan Oesterle away from this team.

We're living in a world where Oesterle, Gilbert and DeSimone will be playing some non-15 minute a night minutes for this club. Calgary with them getting rid of the Zadorov contract, this is a no-brainer.

Reactions: YP44

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Another huge 1st round whiff by Blake, no other way to look at it.
You dont draft well, Rob.

While it looks like Blake was a driving force behind the Turcotte pick, I'm not sure he was necessarily pushing for Bjornfot. If it's any consolation, the ten guys taken between Bjornfot and Kaliyev aren't perennial All-Stars.

One interesting story that came out post-draft was that the Kings possibly had Kaliyev ranked higher than Bjornfot. They were aiming to get a F+D with picks #22 and #33. They didn't think a D that they liked would last until #33 and they took a calculated gamble that a forward would, so they took Bjornfot first.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
While it looks like Blake was a driving force behind the Turcotte pick, I'm not sure he was necessarily pushing for Bjornfot. If it's any consolation, the ten guys taken between Bjornfot and Kaliyev aren't perennial All-Stars.

One interesting story that came out post-draft was that the Kings possibly had Kaliyev ranked higher than Bjornfot. They were aiming to get a F+D with picks #22 and #33. They didn't think a D that they liked would last until #33 and they took a calculated gamble that a forward would, so they took Bjornfot first.
The result is Blake blew the 2019 first round spectacularly, getting literally nothing from picks 5 and 22.
Oof.

• Wow
Reactions: Blueston

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Another classic example of “making it to the NHL ahead of your peers” guarantees little in terms of your ultimate upside.

Kind of shows making the NHL early doesn’t mean you’ll be an impact player later on like many seem to think

I agree with the premise but I don't think Toby is an example of this, he's mostly been dicked around by the organization like almost every other prospect. I can see him excelling elsewhere like almost every one of our other departees.

He started well, got hurt, came back and played hurt, and then never got a spot back no matter how much he 'earned it' because he's not 25.

He'll be the next Durzi/Walker/pick a King that at lesat excels on someone elses middle pairings as a boring ass consistent guy who can give you 18-20 minutes. But he seems to thrive on reps/consistency, not being thrown into random situations with random partners on either side and then getting blamed for what the 35 year old with one leg did.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I agree with the premise but I don't think Toby is an example of this, he's mostly been dicked around by the organization like almost every other prospect. I can see him excelling elsewhere like almost every one of our other departees.

He started well, got hurt, came back and played hurt, and then never got a spot back no matter how much he 'earned it' because he's not 25.

He'll be the next Durzi/Walker/pick a King that at lesat excels on someone elses middle pairings as a boring ass consistent guy who can give you 18-20 minutes. But he seems to thrive on reps/consistency, not being thrown into random situations with random partners on either side and then getting blamed for what the 35 year old with one leg did.
I also can see him become a legit top 4 D elsewhere, and agree that he has been dicked around. They brought in guys like Edler and even Maata instead of continuing to grow Toby, when Edler and Maata maybe were slight upgrades, if at all.
Moverare is going to end up the same. Just less pedigree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad