Confirmed Trade: [LAK/CBJ] Joonas Korpisalo and Vladislav Gavrikov for Jonathan Quick, 2023 1st Round Pick (Cond) & 2024 3rd Round Pick

614 CBJ

Jul 12, 2022
Raleigh, NC
Big fan of Korpisalo

Played through a bad hip last season

Has been good at times, and brilliant at times this year

Has had as many as 3 AHL D men playing in front of him some nights

I predict Kings fans will be thrilled with his play and he will be their playoff starter

I'll accept a lower round pick this year to see him win a cup, no one deserves it more

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Getting traded after 18 years in the organization and close to retiring. So much class from LA management.

You can understand that? Can you?

Or because he's millionnaire he can't be sad and disdisapointed
Hrs been bad for 4 of the last 5 seasons with last year the exception. He signed a contract and doesn't have a nice. He honestly shouldn't be in the nhl still.

What is la supposed to do. They are winning with mediocre .900 goaltending from copley but lose when he doesn't start cuz quick and Peterson are basically unplayable. They should just hope to win with a mediocre copley and absolutely forfeit the season if copley got injured cuz they don't have an nhl level goaltender?

Quick can be sad but the kings had to do this. He was an active liability.

Reactions: riznat

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Big fan of Korpisalo

Played through a bad hip last season

Has been good at times, and brilliant at times this year

Has had as many as 3 AHL D men playing in front of him some nights

I predict Kings fans will be thrilled with his play and he will be their playoff starter

I'll accept a lower round pick this year to see him win a cup, no one deserves it more
Kings pretty much have 3 AHL d-man playing as well but I think with a bit better team he'll be okay. Hopefully.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Based on no actual evidence, I have been thinking the same. I thought LAK did very well with this trade tbh.
there is a quote in here or kings thread on this topic that in a interview at the beginning of the season ask if he was going to play next year and he said thats the plan

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
That team that wasn't a cup contender was a few plays away from the Boston series ending differently and being in the conference finals but sure, they weren't labeled as contenders during the season.

That series win to the rest of the league means jack shit, I understand that and am under no illusion that around the league that means nothing.

But to the city of Columbus that series win was absolutely huge and pretty monumental for the town. For a city desperate for a winner, that team was the closest they've been to contending in the history of the franchise and Jarmo knew that was possibly the last chance of contending for the foreseeable future, so he went for it. He also knew that taking a run at the cup was the only realistic way to keep Panarin.

I'm not debating that team and whether it was the right move or not, it's been debated to death. That's completely off topic and we clearly have different opinions on it.

The team is on the right path and if the kids develop properly we should be looking at perennial playoff team in the next 2-3 seasons with a u24 core.

Respect your very calm demeanor. Honestly very refreshing on these boards where people are often foaming at the mouth to make a point or bash someone.

That said, to me, for poorly run franchises *hope* actually serves as a form of denial. I know this personally as I am an Islanders fan, so during the years of charles wang ownership and garth snow as GM the team was never going to come close to a Cup. Sure many Isles fans would stay on the "merry go round to nowhere" constantly talking about how good this or that prospect was, but it was always out there in the future - Never the present. And the future never came...Until the team was sold and snow was ousted as GM.

Personally I think CBJ fans are in denial if they think they're ever winning a Cup with Jarmo as GM (they might not ever win with current ownership, but let's take one step at a time). So to hear that, "The team is on the right path and if the kids develop properly we should be looking at perennial playoff team in the next 2-3 seasons with a u24 core," I honestly think is just fool's gold.

"Right path. Should be. If. Next 2-3 seasons." Blah blah blah...

10 years under Jarmo....1 playoff series win. That should tell us all we need to know.

I know it's painful to face this fact that there actually is no hope, but to me I think it's better to face that and focus your ire at upper management/ownership to replace Jarmo then continue to give him a free pass to another decade of mediocrity if not worse.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Not sure why everyone feels so bad for Quick. By all accounts he's been dog shit this year. LA may not be the strongest contender but they'll still have a shot in a weaker conference. Can't blame them for wanting an upgrade in net. It's not fair for them to pass up a deal that would help the team just to keep Quick's ego appeased solely on the basis of him being around forever. They're doing what they need to do to have a shot at the Cup, ain't nothing wrong with that IMO. Quick will survive.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Is Quick a hall of famer?

2 cups, one Conn Smythe, 2 Jennings, but lots of down seasons too. Reminds me of Chris Osgood's career.
Quick was pretty consistent until the last 5 years. Never the best but upper echelon with 2 cups. In my opinion was a top tier goalie longer than fleury and did more to win those cups in playoffs than fleury, but fleury has vezina and quicks prime ended in his early 30s while fleury played some of his best in his late 30s.

Longevity may be issue for quick who was bad 4 of these last 5 seaspns.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Respect your very calm demeanor. Honestly very refreshing on these boards where people are often foaming at the mouth to make a point or bash someone.

That said, to me, for poorly run franchises *hope* actually serves as a form of denial. I know this personally as I am an Islanders fan, so during the years of charles wang ownership and garth snow as GM the team was never going to come close to a Cup. Sure many Isles fans would stay on the "merry go round to nowhere" constantly talking about how good this or that prospect was, but it was always out there in the future - Never the present. And the future never came...Until the team was sold and snow was ousted as GM.

Personally I think CBJ fans are in denial if they think they're ever winning a Cup with Jarmo as GM (they might not ever win with current ownership, but let's take one step at a time). So to hear that, "The team is on the right path and if the kids develop properly we should be looking at perennial playoff team in the next 2-3 seasons with a u24 core," I honestly think is just fool's gold.

"Right path. Should be. If. Next 2-3 seasons." Blah blah blah...

10 years under Jarmo....1 playoff series win. That should tell us all we need to know.

I know it's painful to face this fact that there actually is no hope, but to me I think it's better to face that and focus your ire at upper management/ownership to replace Jarmo then continue to give him a free pass to another decade of mediocrity if not worse.
There's definitely a few CBJ fans who would agree with you, I however am not one.

I personally think the prospects at the top of our pool are full of potential and are ready to explode onto the scene. Jiricek just oozes potential and has the potential to make many forget about Jones. Johnson shows flashes of elite talent basically every game. Marchenko came over from the KHL and looked like he belonged immediately, Chinakov before his injury was looking like he belonged in the top 9 even when he wasn't producing and Boqvist when healthy was looking like he could easily score 20 goals/ season.

That's not even mentioning vets let Laine and Gaudreau. Do we have some holes that need filling? Yes. And this will be an extremely important off-season to fill those holes. It seems we're already looking at trying to fill that defensive hole by trying to add Chychrun and we could help fill that center need with a little luck in this draft at the top.

We got lucky this season with injuries honestly.

Reactions: Viqsi

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Meh .. Quick pretty much forced Blake to trade for a goalie because of his crappy play. No one to blame but himself IMO.

in reality, Bowlby's failure to address goaltending, and sign Petersen to a contract (despite the small sample size) has lead to Quick being bounced out of LA

If LA had a genuine #1, Quick would still be the backup today

but yes, Quick's play has been garbage for 5 years now, I get that, I'm usually the first to point this out lol, but let's not pretend that Bowlby didn't create this awkward situation

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
You’re not getting it. The kings have no chance at winning the cup this year, with or without this move. It’s been absolutely brutal watching Quick this year and has been it’s own torture and I frankly expect him to loose any game he starts.

This is not about winning games in a season you’re not ready to go all in.

This is about treating a franchise legend, who’s played his entire career and been SO loyal to the franchise, like a piece of trash. It’s a totally unnecessary move. Just staple his ass to the bench for another month and take the first or second round playoff loss in stride and improve over the off season. This signals to everyone in the locker room that nothing is holy.

After the perfection of the Brown retirement ceremony, this is the ugliest thing the franchise has ever done. Quick should have been able to retire with a modicum of dignity as a forever king. If you can’t understand this, there’s nothing more to talk about.
Why do they have no chance? That's silly considering they have among the best winning percentage in the league when Phoenix copley starts and he hasn't even been that good. Quick and Peterson held them back this year. Without them they would have been running away with 1 seed but got horrible goaltending. If korpisalo plays well they absolutely could compete for a cup.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
There's definitely a few CBJ fans who would agree with you, I however am not one.

I personally think the prospects at the top of our pool are full of potential and are ready to explode onto the scene. Jiricek just oozes potential and has the potential to make many forget about Jones. Johnson shows flashes of elite talent basically every game. Marchenko came over from the KHL and looked like he belonged immediately, Chinakov before his injury was looking like he belonged in the top 9 even when he wasn't producing and Boqvist when healthy was looking like he could easily score 20 goals/ season.

That's not even mentioning vets let Laine and Gaudreau. Do we have some holes that need filling? Yes. And this will be an extremely important off-season to fill those holes. It seems we're already looking at trying to fill that defensive hole by trying to add Chychrun and we could help fill that center need with a little luck in this draft at the top.

We got lucky this season with injuries honestly.

So you support Jarmo and are ride or die with him. Got it.

While of course it's a nice start, but there's just so much more to winning than prospects. Development, coaching, resources, chemistry, etc are just some of the other major factors that determine that.

When you have a handful of (very talented) players want to leave town under your ownership/management that speaks volumes to me that something significant is much more foul in the organization.

I'm so confident that, assuming Jarmo is GM for the foreseeable future, that 5 years from now we'll be having the same conversation we're having now - With Columbus still nowhere near true Cup contention. I'd put a bet on it, but not sure how we would.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
If LA wasn't in 2nd place in the Pacific (tie for first in points) this trade doesn't happen. Does this trade make then Cup favorites ? Not really , does it make them better? Definitely , and lets them give Korpisalo a trial look before LA commits to a UFA offer.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So you support Jarmo and are ride or die with him. Got it.

While of course it's a nice start, but there's just so much more to winning than prospects. Development, coaching, resources, chemistry, etc are just some of the other major factors that determine that.

When you have a handful of (very talented) players want to leave town under your ownership/management that speaks volumes to me that something significant is much more foul in the organization.

I'm so confident that, assuming Jarmo is GM for the foreseeable future, that 5 years from now we'll be having the same conversation we're having now - With Columbus still nowhere near true Cup contention. I'd put a bet on it, but not sure how we would.

If you were going to fire Jarmo for those reasons you would have done it when PLD asked out of town and the rebuild started.

Since they've started rebuilding, the accumulation of top talents has been impressive.

Kent Johnson
David Jiricek
2023 top 1st
Many other 1st round caliber talents

Not sure what else you want to evaluate in the last two years. The only thing in the rebuild plan that I think Jarmo has seriously bungled is the handling of Cole Sillinger. So if you want to fire him for that (I'd consider it) then go ahead.

Reactions: Viqsi

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Anyway if you use rates (which is what you should have been using), Kings are pretty clearly a top 10 defensive team at least fancy stats-wise. 5v5 CA/60 is 9th (just ahead of Boston), SA/60 is 4th, SCA/60 is 11th (again, just ahead of Boston), HDCA/60 is 8th, just below Boston this time. xGA/60 is the catch-all stat I'd personally prefer to use (esp because I haven't seen many games), Kings are 7th in that, 2.45 is just under Boston who has 2.41. I chose 5v5 (rather tan ES) because 3v3 overtime tends to introduce noise, but the ES numbers / ranks are about the same. Anyway the stats are showing the Kings have been about as good as Boston defensively up until this point, that is not too bad and common sense-wise definitely better than league average.
OK, I'll concede that their stats suggest that they're a top defensive team. You might not get that impression from watching them, though. They cheat to create offense and are prone to major defensive lapses, like the 2-on-0 breakaway that they allowed last night. They also can't defend leads. They get big ones and blow them regularly, and it's not just because the goaltending lets them down. Their 8th-best overall CF% drops to 15th-best when ahead in games. The team collapses. It's the McLellan effect. If you watched them regularly, you'd likely not get the impression that they're great at defending, and if you remember how they were 10 years ago, when they were a true defensive team, you'd be even less impressed. You don't have to take my word for it, though. Notice how most Kings fans don't seem very optimistic or view the team as a contender, even after this trade.
You tell me, if Joonas is putting together an above average season on one of the league's worst defensive teams, and if he goes to a top ten defensive team (or even an average defensive team) do you expect his performance to get worse or better? And even if for some reason he does perform slightly worse (very possible, goalies are weird), would you nonetheless expect him to be an improvement in goal for the Kings or not.
I expect him to be an improvement for the Kings, of course, but I'm not sure how much he's going to improve his own stats. Copley has been solid behind this Kings team, which has an 18-4-2 record with him in net and is no doubt still in a playoff spot thanks to him, yet his SV% is .899. I don't know. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Last edited:

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
OK, I'll concede that their stats suggest that they're a top defensive team. You might not get that impression from watching them, though. They cheat to create offense and are prone to major defensive lapses, like the 2-on-0 breakaway that they allowed last night. They also can't defend leads. They get big ones and blow them regularly, and it's not just because the goaltending lets them down. Their 8th-best overall CF% drops to 15th-best when ahead in games. The team collapses. It's the McLellan effect. If you watched them regularly, you'd likely not get the impression that they're great at defending, and if you remember how they were 10 years ago, when they were a true defensive team, you'd be even less impressed. You don't have to take my word for it, though. Notice how most Kings fans don't seem very optimistic or view the team as a contender, even after this trade.

I expect him to be an improvement for the Kings, of course, but I'm not sure how much he's going to improve his own stats. Copley has been solid behind this Kings team, which has an 18-4-2 record with him in net and is no doubt still in a playoff spot thanks to him, yet his SV% is .899. I don't know. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
Maybe I’ll just be blown away by Korpisalo. I sure hope so. Obviously the initial shock of trading Quick will wear off. But we now have three goalies with a sub-900 save percentage and yet we are a top three team in the conference. Are all three goalies just bad goalies? I think we do a decent job of shot suppression until we allow the highest-danger scoring chance possible, often in a shorthanded situation for the opposing team.

If Gavrikov is actually here just to replace Edler and we’re still playing Durzi on the penalty kill and with a minute left to go in regulation, then we’re not fixing the systemic issues leading to blown leads. We really are just outscoring our problems.

Reactions: Osprey

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Maybe I’ll just be blown away by Korpisalo. I sure hope so. Obviously the initial shock of trading Quick will wear off. But we now have three goalies with a sub-900 save percentage and yet we are a top three team in the conference. Are all three goalies just bad goalies? I think we do a decent job of shot suppression until we allow the highest-danger scoring chance possible, often in a shorthanded situation for the opposing team.

If Gavrikov is actually here just to replace Edler and we’re still playing Durzi on the penalty kill and with a minute left to go in regulation, then we’re not fixing the systemic issues leading to blown leads. We really are just outscoring our problems.
Phoenix copley is a 3rd string and has a .899 sv% and 2.82 gaa. His nhl career stats are .900 sv% and 2.91 gaa. He is playing to exactly his career averages and thats why hes a 3rd string. It's just that quick is washed up and Peterson seemingly lost all his ability. Copley is playing to level he always has, quick and Peterson were just so inept he looked good in comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad