Player Discussion: Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The Scheifele angle is interesting. Here is a center that played a game prior to 17-18 that was highly compatible with both Laine and Ehlers game as noted in how well that line lit the lamp that year. It was a game based more on transition offense and him being a play driving playmaker. Since then he has morphed into a more limited offensive player in that he prefers to cycle and then get to the net for his shot. His new game is more patterned to play with Conner and Wheeler whereas his older game was more patterned to play with Laine and Ehlers. I prefer the old Scheifele to the one we have seen the last few years and would like him to get back there espeically if he wants to be seen as a top 10 center in the league again.

So even if Scheifele doesn't want to play with Laine atm things and preferences can change very quickly. If Laine comes into camp and is playing a more sound all around cycle game then perhaps Mark now wants to play with him. If Wheeler declines further then that may also necessitate a change in the line up. A system change to something more transition based may also change who Scheifele prefers to play with.

I think we need to let next year play out.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
The Scheifele angle is interesting. Here is a center that played a game prior to 17-18 that was highly compatible with both Laine and Ehlers game as noted in how well that line lit the lamp that year. It was a game based more on transition offense and him being a play driving playmaker. Since then he has morphed into a more limited offensive player in that he prefers to cycle and then get to the net for his shot. His new game is more patterned to play with Conner and Wheeler whereas his older game was more patterned to play with Laine and Ehlers. I prefer the old Scheifele to the one we have seen the last few years and would like him to get back there espeically if he wants to be seen as a top 10 center in the league again.

So even if Scheifele doesn't want to play with Laine atm things and preferences can change very quickly. If Laine comes into camp and is playing a more sound all around cycle game then perhaps Mark now wants to play with him. If Wheeler declines further then that may also necessitate a change in the line up. A system change to something more transition based may also change who Scheifele prefers to play with.

Schiefele was at his best playing the transition game.

Their counter attack was scary that opponent back downs on their own. As mistakes turns into esl goal 10 seconds later

Noted this 2 years ago.
Top 5 to 7 C before.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
@Eyeseeing
"Nobody is the bad guy here.
Perhaps the coaching isn’t working?
Let’s see how this plays out.
We need players with a competitive fire."

I don't think there are any bad guys either but there are a lot of ways to look at the situation.
Coaching has been called out a few times (understatement) - this is simply another way to look at it.
Like it or not, players do get their way from time to time - some more than others apparently and Laine will attest to that.
Meanwhile coaching, management, ownership have the tall task of keeping everyone happy - when there are conflicting wants / needs, it gets complicated.

I hope it works out for everyone involved - hopefully that's how it plays out.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
No bad guys.

All of them made mistakes that contributed to the problem.

Hopefully internally they are able to slowly fix it.

Me i am trying to see all the sides good efforts.

We are shaping up to have a good team again.
We have great top 6.
And with Copp
LOWRY centering
3rd and 4th

Jets forward groups are set.
still Perfetti and Vesa On the wing.

Helly is helly with broissant as good as 1 2 punch there.

Defense
No out right true 1D.
They need to play as committee.

Hopefully Morrissey can show that he can elevate without Buff and Trouba.
That Samberg can now take the middle LD spot.
We still Have Heinola to insert.
If he doesnt make it as a regular this year.
100% the following year.

My only real concern is the PK.
And the coaching staff slow adjustment sometime,well most of the times :popcorn:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There's a lot of emphasis on the trade talk being stimulated by Laine and his desire to move on.

Maybe it's the other way around. Maybe the Jets have decided that Laine isn't progressing the way they'd hoped and they want to maximize the trade return before they lock him into a long-term lucrative deal. Maybe they saw all they needed in his 4th season with him on #1 RW and playing top 5 minutes in the NHL and decided that his contribution was lacking, and they want to take the opportunity to build the roster in another direction. Maybe getting a talented offensive player like Perfetti in the draft also changed their priorities.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
There's a lot of emphasis on the trade talk being stimulated by Laine and his desire to move on.

Maybe it's the other way around. Maybe the Jets have decided that Laine isn't progressing the way they'd hoped and they want to maximize the trade return before they lock him into a long-term lucrative deal. Maybe they saw all they needed in his 4th season with him on #1 RW and playing top 5 minutes in the NHL and decided that his contribution was lacking, and they want to take the opportunity to build the roster in another direction. Maybe getting a talented offensive player like Perfetti in the draft also changed their priorities.

Very possible!

It could be that “both sides” are very comfortable gauging Laine’s trade value, that’s what they did, but the current overall market for wingers is crap which it appears to be.

googleIsMyFriend

Dec 6, 2016
I think trade would be stupid thing to do for both sides. You can't get maximum value out of Laine at the moment and on the other hand Jets are cup contender in close future.

At the moment Jets are not contenders, because our bottom 6 is not strong enough for playing high quality game in playoffs (compared to Isles) or even through the regular season. We need to do something about this. We need 4 strong lines because our d-core lacks little bit.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

It's weird because in order for Laine to get the best positioning, we almost have to hope that Wheeler declines, but that then becomes a problem itself.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

At age 21.
Nobody has contributed more at that age from any Jets 2.0 players.

If this is how Chevy thinks.
He should resign.
He is not fit as GM.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I am personally a bit torn on whether to trade Laine or not.
On one hand the return would be pretty good and help the team in (one would hope) many areas of need.
On the other though, 40+ goals a year just doesn’t grow on trees anymore. Tough to give what could be a decade plus of that up.
With age being a factor, along with the rumours and grumblings of what is (or at least could be) happening in the Jets locker room... I could be more inclined to trade Wheeler before I trade Laine.
Not that I think that would happen with how loyal True North/The Jets appears to be though.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

Yes, trade away a 22-year old averaging 37g/82, because he's a bust, but no worries, you have a teenager in the pipes who might become an NHLer someday. Seems smart :sarcasm:

Not to say you couldn't be right, but it would only make any sense with the Jets if there's some underlying problems that are not apparent to the general public. Other than that you don't trade away succesful players who have yet to hit their prime, unless there's something seriously wrong in either the player or the situation in the org.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Very possible!

It could be that “both sides” are very comfortable gauging Laine’s trade value, that’s what they did, but the current overall market for wingers is crap which it appears to be.
My take is Chevy really didn't like the way negotiations went with Laine last off season. This is just my speculation but to get Laine signed long term might be at a number beyond what Chevy wants to pay for a winger that doesn't produce or drive play like Panarin or Kuch. Laine while very skilled in some areas also requires the team to be organized around him because he doesn't transition the puck and needs his linemates to do this. I think Chevy would be fine with a pure scorer if he was willing to get Laine's camp to sign a corresponding contract especially in the current flat cap era. While the circumstances may be different, the path is potentially the same as Trouba. After this season Chevy's hands will be tied further as Laine will have a clear path to UFA status by going to arbitration. At that point getting full value back gets harder and harder.

Added to this is the pressure for Chevy to get back to being a contender and how badly his hands will be tied if he sinks another $9 - 10 M into his wingers. Signing Laine will no doubt lead to the trading of Ehlers or Connor (as we all know Wheeler has a full NMC). The other possible window could be that Perfetti and at least one of Samberg or Heinola becomes real difference makers while on their ELC's, but this window will be as brief as the last one and certainly not something Chevy can hang his hat on.

Personally I hope Chevy and Laine's camp finds some sort of compromise. Maybe a 4 year extension at $8.5 AAV. If not eventually Chevy will have to move Laine or give him what he wants. Even with a compromise this will remain a flawed team with an abundance of scoring wingers and little money to spend on defense.

Reactions: GNP and LowLefty

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I say you play out this season and see how it goes, if the Jets don't play well then you think about making a massive trade for Laine. One thing about it is when Scheifele and Laine both got hurt in these last playoffs we had absolutely no offense, none.

DeWho

Oct 24, 2020
From the previous thread:
Could you please post the quote with scheifele stating who he wants to play with.
Here for example, both Scheifele and Wheeler stating who they want to play with, not that it comes as a surprise to anyone:
"You're watching that backdoor goal thinking, "Man, I haven't seen that in a while, that felt good,"" said Maurice of his team's third goal, that saw Scheifele find Wheeler on a two-on-one break.

"It was awesome," said Scheifele of skating on the same line as Wheeler. "Obviously you guys know I love playing with Blake, and it was great to see some productivity, and it end up on the scoresheet."

After multiple years of productive play together, injuries have forced them to anchor their own lines for the better part of the season. But the latest episode of the "Scheifele and Wheeler Show" against the Kings may have swayed Maurice into making them a more permanent tandem.

"They certainly made a strong argument today," he said. "It's something that you know you like, you've seen it work so well, but we've had our challenges with pieces of lines."

"With the circumstances of the season, we don't really have that luxury," said Wheeler, who's pair of goals saw him reach the 20-goal mark for the eighth time in his career. "It's just about filling in and doing the best you can, and trying to plug in any holes that might come up. Obviously it's going to be Paul's decision going forward, but I think we made a pretty good case (to stay together) tonight."

Wheeler and Scheifele reunite as Jets beat Kings

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yes, trade away a 22-year old averaging 37g/82, because he's a bust, but no worries, you have a teenager in the pipes who might become an NHLer someday. Seems smart :sarcasm:

Not to say you couldn't be right, but it would only make any sense with the Jets if there's some underlying problems that are not apparent to the general public. Other than that you don't trade away succesful players who have yet to hit their prime, unless there's something seriously wrong in either the player or the situation in the org.
I have no idea if that's the way the Jets are thinking, but if they are contemplating trading Laine, maybe it's because they think they can acquire close to equivalent value in return for trading him, with a much lower impact on their salary cap.

Trading Laine isn't just about losing a good young talent, it's about acquiring other talent, too.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

I think people just read way too much into that rumoured Scheifele comment that he likes to play with Connor & Wheeler. Not a big deal, nothing wrong with that. It's always a positive thing when a player likes to play on his current line.

It's not that Scheifele said "I hate Laine" or "I don't want to play with Laine".

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I have no idea if that's the way the Jets are thinking, but if they are contemplating trading Laine, maybe it's because they think they can acquire close to equivalent value in return for trading him, with a much lower impact on their salary cap.

Trading Laine isn't just about losing a good young talent, it's about acquiring other talent, too.

As the one article stated on TSN said, if Chevy is debating about trading Laine he isn't giving him away......if he trades him it's to make the team better overall.

Jets greatest strength is on the wing, so if we're trading for any big piece(s) it likely means trading a winger. While one can debate which winger is best to trade, one can't debate wingers are our greatest strength. If we ignore all the speculation circling Laine & his feelings (b/c no one knows the truth)......the plain fact is Laine wouldn't sign long term, while Ehlers, KC & Wheeler did......that alone likely makes Laine the most likely winger traded IMO. Add to that fact Laine return would fill a big need, trading Wheeler isn't filling any big need, all he returns is futures.

Could Laine resign long term in the near future? Maybe, but he hasn't to-date. If the Jets believe the biggest window is in the next four years, I can see them thinking Wheeler is good enough and not wanting to invest in another huge cap hit winger when they have other big needs on D and 2C. IMO Laine won't be traded at this point this offseason, he might be traded next offseason post expansion draft.....if he does get traded.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I say you play out this season and see how it goes, if the Jets don't play well then you think about making a massive trade for Laine. One thing about it is when Scheifele and Laine both got hurt in these last playoffs we had absolutely no offense, none.
Chevy has made some changes already to help with that.

In the playoff play-in, our Cs ended up being Copp, Eakin, Lowry and Shore for the most part with Wheeler sprinkled in there too at times. That’s pitiful and embarrassing. I’d say with that C group any team would be offence challenged. Having that lack of depth is on Chevy, no doubt.

And now having Stastny and potentially Perfetti able to move up in the lineup at C if Scheifele is injured is huge, IMO.

If the Jets anticipate big things from Samberg and Heinola in the next couple of years, in a top 4 role, then I’m fine with Chevy being done this offseason. I don’t think he is though. He has more cap space to play with still.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Chevy has made some changes already to help with that.

In the playoff play-in, our Cs ended up being Copp, Eakin, Lowry and Shore for the most part with Wheeler sprinkled in there too at times. That’s pitiful and embarrassing. I’d say with that C group any team would be offence challenged. Having that lack of depth is on Chevy, no doubt.

And now having Stastny and potentially Perfetti able to move up in the lineup at C if Scheifele is injured is huge, IMO.

If the Jets anticipate big things from Samberg and Heinola in the next couple of years, in a top 4 role, then I’m fine with Chevy being done this offseason. I don’t think he is though. He has more cap space to play with still.

I think any teams center depth would look bad if you take out their top two centers...

With the additions of Stastny and Perfetti this offseason, it’s looking a bit better. I would like one more prospect with top 6 potential. Maybe Gus has 2C upside.

Reactions: Howard Chuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad