Speculation: Laine to Carolina - 3 Questions

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Its amazing how overrated he has been always. Usign correctly.. as PP weapon, he is perfect ( with reasonable conttact). But 5vs5...it does not matter if your line score even 60 5vs5 goals with him if you allow at the same time 80 goals.

Adding his character which makes him be arguing with teammates and ruining the spirit.

Im telling you...team with Laine will never reach conference finals. Unless it onces goes to time where he actually makes reasonable contract amd plays mainly PP and thats not gonna happen since...he is overated exactly since too many are only looking how many goaös he scores

SAME THOUGHTS, BUT THAT IS NOT SURPRISING GIVEN THE FACT I AM A PERSON WHO’D RATHER HAVE MESSIER THAN GRETZKY. (NEEDLESS TO SAY I AM TALKING ABOUT ALL VARIABLES INCLUDING PAYCHECK.)

Reactions: jiitu

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think this conversation is academic. Because we all know if Laine came here, Rod would storm into his room on the road and head-butt his X-box until it was in pieces. And then he'd have a sad face and have to be traded somewhere else. So not a great fit for what is being built here.

laine_patrick-1.jpg

It's painful to see sad Laine.

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
I like Laine a lot. But I wouldn’t give up Svech for him. Svech plays an all-around game that fits Rods style while Laine’s short comings would probably see him butting heads with Rod. I’d be willing to do extensive futures for him, but I doubt the Jets want that right now.
Absolutely. Svech will be a Top 5 forward of the game in 2 years. You don't give up such a player even for Laine.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Only time will tell obviously.

Sure, but top 5?

I'm hard pressed to see him as being better than McDavid, Kucherov, P. Kane, Ovi (even in 2 years), Crosby(even in 2 years), MacKinnon, Matthews, Eichel, Aho, Marner, Draisaitl, Marchand, Barkov, Tavares, Scheifele, Pastrnak, Bergeron, Gaudreau, etc... Not to mention he has to surpass or not be surpassed by other young guys like E. Pettersson, PLD, Hughes, Kakko, etc..

I don't see that in Svech's game. I hope you are right though.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Svech was blue chip prospect. Pretty special one. Remarkably dominant in the juniors. He has all the talent and complete game to be better than Pastrnak, Aho, Kakko and PLD for me.

Reactions: Tryamw

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Svech was blue chip prospect. Pretty special one. Remarkably dominant in the juniors. He has all the talent and complete game to be better than Pastrnak, Aho, Kakko and PLD for me.

That very well could be, but that doesn't put him in the top 5. There are also others, that we either do or do not know about right now, that may surpass him

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If we shipped out Skinner for nothing because we didn't want his 'doesnt give a **** about defense' style of play anymore, there absolutely no way we are looking to bring in Laine.
But the other hand, the mere thought of the effect on our PP is having an effect on my...

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Sure, but top 5?

I'm hard pressed to see him as being better than McDavid, Kucherov, P. Kane, Ovi (even in 2 years), Crosby(even in 2 years), MacKinnon, Matthews, Eichel, Aho, Marner, Draisaitl, Marchand, Barkov, Tavares, Scheifele, Pastrnak, Bergeron, Gaudreau, etc... Not to mention he has to surpass or not be surpassed by other young guys like E. Pettersson, PLD, Hughes, Kakko, etc..

I don't see that in Svech's game. I hope you are right though.

Jesus. This sounds dumb, but I kinda didn't realize just how many great forwards there are before seeing a list spelled out like this. Add Rantanen too, even making the top 20 would be a hell of an achievement for Svech.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I’ll be thrilled if Svech ends up a top 25 forward. Him becoming a top 5 forward would be a treat.
He certainly has Top 5 potential. His combination of speed, strength, vision and shot don't come around often. If he's able to put it all together he could have a couple Hart Finalist years in him. Might be the most raw talented playet we've had with the franchise since E Staal or Francis.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
To be honest, considering the assets it would cost to acquire him and the contract required, I'm not a fan of the concept.

After watching Skinner for 8 years, I find goal scoring to be overrated. I'll trade 10 goals for playmaking and defensive ability without much hesitation.

Reactions: jiitu and Tryamw

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
To be honest, considering the assets it would cost to acquire him and the contract required, I'm not a fan of the concept.

After watching Skinner for 8 years, I find goal scoring to be overrated. I'll trade 10 goals for playmaking and defensive ability without much hesitation.

I don't think we need to run down Laine's game to safely say he's not worth Svechnikov. I actually think a 1-for-1 for those two guys would be pretty close on talent alone, if not a slight edge to Laine, but Svech has two more years on his ELC and Laine is well into the "getting paid" years, so it just plain doesn't make sense for us. We can rip Laine's perceived shortcomings all day, but none of that changes the fact that he's got 110 goals in 237 NHL games, 80 of them scored as a teenager. His third season wasn't as good as his first two, but that doesn't all of a sudden make him a one-dimensional shooter who doesn't play defense. He had an off-year, but he's very good at hockey, and whichever team employs him going forward will have an excellent player. I'd actually *love* for it to be us, but I don't think we can afford him.

it's wild how underrated svechnikov is, but not entirely surprising. i doubt very much someone would go to the rangers and try to get kakko or the devils to try to get hughes in a laine deal but are entirely comfortable asking for svechnikov plus plus from carolina. it's the difference between people that actually watch the games and those that boxscore scout.

Eh, I think it's more about just overrating your team's own players, than looking at the numbers.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I would've been all for a big splash, but the cap space is gone now as we bought a first round pick. I would've done 2 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd offer sheet compensation for him, but I don't think losing the assets to get him would be worth it.

Also, Friedman on 31 Thoughts last week talked about how he thinks there may be a rift between Laine and the Jets leadership (Wheeler, Schiefele). He said their room is very demanding and Laine is a more laid back guy. If that's true, doubt being led by Brind'Amour and Williams (if he returns) will fix things.

No thanks.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
He certainly has Top 5 potential. His combination of speed, strength, vision and shot don't come around often. If he's able to put it all together he could have a couple Hart Finalist years in him. Might be the most raw talented playet we've had with the franchise since E Staal or Francis.

He's good at a lot of things, but when you think of top 5 forwards over the years, you are talking about guys that are elite in a few categories. For example, McDavid can flat out fly and is insanely skilled. Crosby has immense lower body strength, fantastic vision, great hands and anticipation. Ovi's combination of shot, speed and size is remarkable. etc..

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see Svech being as elite as guys like that (as well as others I listed).

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
He's good at a lot of things, but when you think of top 5 forwards over the years, you are talking about guys that are elite in a few categories. For example, McDavid can flat out fly and is insanely skilled. Crosby has immense lower body strength, fantastic vision, great hands and anticipation. Ovi's combination of shot, speed and size is remarkable. etc..

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see Svech being as elite as guys like that (as well as others I listed).

I think it’s plausible for him to be a top 20 wing. Not forwards over all, but top 20 wing for sure.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3