Speculation: Laine to Carolina - 3 Questions

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If Laine got traded anywhere (I very much doubt that he leaves Winnipeg), it'll probably be here. Our front office has started to get a reputation for taking big, risky swings on guys that they like, via trade and not UFA, of course (Dougie being a prime example). The cost would be incredibly high, though, I bet. I think our two firsts next year would just be the starting point.

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
I definitely hope he is not heading here. Unless getting under 4M per year so he could be just additional guy to stand there all power plays and sit rest of the games. In 5vs5 game he ruins game of his whole line and he ruins the team spirit.

m0rkoli

Jan 3, 2019
If Laine got traded anywhere (I very much doubt that he leaves Winnipeg), it'll probably be here. Our front office has started to get a reputation for taking big, risky swings on guys that they like, via trade and not UFA, of course (Dougie being a prime example). The cost would be incredibly high, though, I bet. I think our two firsts next year would just be the starting point.
The one good part is that bLaine would love to be close to players that he has allready played with, (Finnicanes).

Raejuusto

May 16, 2018
Well Canes would be one of the only real alternatives at this point. Seabass + Roddy would bring the best from Laine.
Let's say something along the lines of:
Carolina:
Laine
Roslovic
Jets:
Svechnikov
Nino
2rd pick
3rd pick
Laine agrees to sign same deal as Aho.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Well Canes would be one of the only real alternatives at this point. Seabass + Roddy would bring the best from Laine.
Carolina:
Laine
Roslovic
Jets:
Svechnikov
Nino
2rd pick
3rd pick
I like Laine a lot. But I wouldn’t give up Svech for him. Svech plays an all-around game that fits Rods style while Laine’s short comings would probably see him butting heads with Rod. I’d be willing to do extensive futures for him, but I doubt the Jets want that right now.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Carolina:
Laine
Roslovic
Jets:
Svechnikov
Nino
2rd pick
3rd pick
Big time no. Not a chance I give up Svech even if Laine is a great goal scorer. I'm not sure we have the pieces that Winnipeg would want that allows them to stay a Cup contender that we'd willingly give up.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Carolina:
Laine
Roslovic
Jets:
Svechnikov
Nino
2rd pick
3rd pick

You're not even close, even without Roslovic.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Some premium scoring would be nice and needed, but we can't be gutting our line-up to get it. Obviously getting Laine would mean giving back pieces that hurt to give. We like our group as is, and our cap space is used efficiently with it. Would be less so with Laine.

And I don't think we need this deal as much as Winnipeg needs. Laine is a good problem to have, but he's first and foremostly Winnipeg's problem.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Is this really speculation? I mean is this based on any kind of rumor or anything? I cant imagine the canes are in the market for laine at this point
Well. 2/3 are headcases their teams desperately wants to get rid off while recovering a haul coming back to cover for their sunken cost in high pick used. Meanwhile at least two teams have signed Aho this summer.

Reactions: Navin R Slavin

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The goal of a trade is to be a better team, not get the higher price better player.

Are the Canes a better team paying Laine $8M+ at the expense of Svechnikov on an ELC and Nino?

Or losing Necas (ELC and doesn’t need protection in the expansion draft) and Pesce, when Faulk and TVR are UFAs at season end and Hamilton is the following year?

Don’t get me wrong, it will cost a lot to trade for him, should WPG ever want to move him, but I’m not sure it’s a wise move for Carolina.

Pesce and Slavin have such good contracts that I don’t see either of them moving any time soon, unless they ask to be traded.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
No. Realistically speaking, we'd have to give up way too much to get him.

I'm not interesting in giving up anybody from the following group: Aho, Teravainen, Svechnikov, Slavin, Pesce.

I find it hard to imagine a scenario where the Jets would not be asking for one of those players.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
it's wild how underrated svechnikov is, but not entirely surprising. i doubt very much someone would go to the rangers and try to get kakko or the devils to try to get hughes in a laine deal but are entirely comfortable asking for svechnikov plus plus from carolina. it's the difference between people that actually watch the games and those that boxscore scout.

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
Carolina:
Laine
Roslovic
Jets:
Svechnikov
Nino
2rd pick
3rd pick
Take off svechnikov and it could be considerable.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00