Speculation: Laine on the move again? (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Curious. Do you think there is no hesitation to table a 7.5MM qualifying offer to retain his rfa rights in columbus...effectively making him the highest paid player on the team?

No hesitation whatsoever. There's no way they don't give Laine a shot next year with a new coach, real pre-season/offseason, in-person meetings, etc.

Reactions: CBJx614 and Viqsi

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Curious. Do you think there is no hesitation to table a 7.5MM qualifying offer to retain his rfa rights in columbus...effectively making him the highest paid player on the team?

Currently only Dubinsky has a higher salary and he's not even playing.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
No hesitation whatsoever. There's no way they don't give Laine a shot next year with a new coach, real pre-season/offseason, in-person meetings, etc.
Interesting. I assume a bridge then because the absolute floor would be 7.5MM and there is little reason to believe Laine would sell UFA years for the same amount.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Interesting. I assume a bridge then because the absolute floor would be 7.5MM and there is little reason to believe Laine would sell UFA years for the same amount.

Seems to me like most CBJ fans are assuming a 1 year deal.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
That would make sense from a team perspective.

If Laine believes he is far better than he's demonstrated this season - and thinks he can demonstrate it next season - then it makes a lot of financial sense for him, too.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That's revisionist. Jacket fans were clamoring about Dubois outplaying Auston Matthews in the playoffs and how that was his coming out party, led the team in regular season scoring too

No it's originalist.

PLD was very up and down during the year and wasn't beasting until the playoffs. We had a good debate that Spring about who was MVP and it was between Werenski and Bjorkstrand.

Reactions: Viqsi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

At this point he might actually want to lock in long term at such a price, we don't know. But the team doesn't want to get stuck with an underperformer, we can be certain they're not commiting long term until he grows up.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
It appears Laine is a problem in this his contract year. I can only imagine the headache he could become if he had the security of a 5-year deal. Yikes!

Reactions: Bender

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
It appears Laine is a problem in this his contract year. I can only imagine the headache he could become if he had the security of a 5-year deal. Yikes!
He’s so casual with the puck. Makes some really bad turnovers. I’d be terrified to give him a long term deal as an organization.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
He’s so casual with the puck. Makes some really bad turnovers. I’d be terrified to give him a long term deal as an organization.
yeah but it appears the coaches are telling him to do one thing and he pays little attention and does his own thing, imagine if he had security. Id guarantee he would do what he wants when he wants no matter what anybody says

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That's revisionist. Jacket fans were clamoring about Dubois outplaying Auston Matthews in the playoffs and how that was his coming out party, led the team in regular season scoring too
If by "Jackets fans" you mean the bandwagoners we picked up as a result of being up against the Leafs, this statement has the chance to be accurate. The assessment of most long-time Jackets fans during (and immediately after) that playoff matchup was that Matthews was the only high-profile Leaf that consistently gave it his all - he was the one we feared.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Has Laine ever said why he wants to play in Los Angeles?

Yes, according to multiple resources, he only wants to go to Kings or the Ducks.
I guess he values beaches and palm trees over 10ft of snow.
One of the sources was Eklund, so CLB fans dismiss it but his behavior strongly supports this leak.
If this is true and has been ignored by the CLB front office, heads have to roll.

Last edited:

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Let's say he agrees to something reasonable like 8x7m, what does MTL needs to give to get him? 2nď 21, unprotected 1st 22, extended Danault and then what?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Yes, according to multiple resources, he only wants to go to Kings or the Ducks.
I guess he values beaches and palm trees over 10ft of snow.
Also his behavior strongly supports this leak

Care to share?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Let's say he agrees to something reasonable like 8x7m, what does MTL needs to give to get him? 2nď 21, unprotected 1st 22, extended Danault and then what?
Lets take Danault out of this. To trade a ufa to negotiate is a 5th round value. So its a 1 and 2 for Laine.

I don't know if either side likes this. If CBJ does this its full rebuild mode and start over time. Easy to say they should. Hard to actually do it.

MTL side its a 1 2 and ability to keep one of Tatar/Danault for Laine. Oh and CC the hot prospect may be influenced by Laine and get his bad habits.

If it favors any side its MTL but do you want Laine to influence MTL's best prospect in a long time?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I really don't think Laine helps a team win at all. He's a very casual player. If he was a UFA I wouldn't give more than 5M on a 1 year deal. I know that sounds ridiculous, but he just hurts you so much in so many ways that I wouldn't take him for free and qualify him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad