Player Discussion: Laine (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I wonder if the Barkov-Laine connection gives Florida extra incentive to try to acquire Laine, perhaps as a way of improving the odds that Barkov will re-sign. Also, they really need goal-scoring up front.

Reactions: Easternbull

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I know i just want this over and done with already .
I’ve long since given up that everything will be done with at any given time. We need Chevy to be dispassionate and do what is in the team’s Best interest and have the patience to wait for the best time to act. We can’t have our GM act like a fan and just get things so we feel better today.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Dont confuse last season as the 2nd 3rd season where Laine was refering to about his ice time.

Laine has said nothing about his 4th season ice time.

Stop making things up

Please make the this long list of players who has outscored Laine the last 4 season playing on Line 2.
His agent just came out last week - through Lebrun - and cited usage and top-line minutes are the reasons he wants to part ways from the team. I haven't heard anything from Andy Scott or Liut refuting Lebrun or saying he's lying/comments taken out of context etc.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I’ve long since given up that everything will be done with at any given time. We need Chevy to be dispassionate and do what is in the team’s Best interest and have the patience to wait for the best time to act. We can’t have our GM act like a fan and just get things so we feel better today.
Absolutely agree i just hate all the nasty stuff back and forth especially with regards to one of our young stars. We are all Jets fans , i think, and all i care about is the Winnipeg Jets and how we win that Cup . :nod:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
His agent just came out last week - through Lebrun - and cited usage and top-line minutes are the reasons he wants to part ways from the team. I haven't heard anything from Andy Scott or Liut refuting Lebrun or saying he's lying/comments taken out of context etc.

Trouba also complained he wasn't getting top pairing minutes, until he was and then it was something else.

Reactions: drumzan

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I'll say this.

Malkin often doesn't play with Crosby. and rather than whining about it in the press and asking for trades....He excels on the ice and helps Crosby and the team be better.

I want Pate to be that guy.

Malkin is a center. Crosby is a center.

There would be no point for them to play together unless on special teams.

Also they both have plenty of TOI and full support from their coach.

If anything, Malkin is usually having better line mates than Crosby is. Given the hockey Crosby plays he could have a pylon as his LW and a water post as his RW and still be really effective, whereas Laine needs a setup guy.

Reactions: Ippenator

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I wonder if the Barkov-Laine connection gives Florida extra incentive to try to acquire Laine, perhaps as a way of improving the odds that Barkov will re-sign. Also, they really need goal-scoring up front.

I think Chevy is the only gm that puts a huge emphasis on this kind of stuff.

I don’t know any other gm who gets locker room guys as much as him, or trades for the same player because he fit 2 years ago.

It’s a Chevy thing

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
So do you agree that he's a "selfish player" who is "upset about averaging 49 seconds less at 5 on 5 than the "top line winger" on the team"?
I’m not sure what his complaint is all about tbh. I don’t think he’s that hard done by.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

Did LAINE say 4th season?
Did it match with Darren Dregger report.

Was the report the writers interpretation

Or direct quote similar to what Liut interview quoted during the negotiation of his bridge contract positioning themselve. 3rd year off season

》》》 https://illegalcurve.com/patrik-lai...eg-jets-winger-on-sportsnets-starting-lineup/

Note: i added additional text in the comment you quoted before i saw your comment.
Those are not directly at you but to the intial poster i quoted.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I think Patrick Kane is the more adept comparison as Malkin and Sid plays the same position. Kane is typically 2Rw playing next to an array C over the years.... Strome, Bolland, handzus Richards, yet still putting up elite numbers. Don't recall ever hearing Patrick Kane complain about linemates or usage like Laine has the past two off seasons.

Patrick Kane is uniquely different than any other winger in the NHL and is certainly not a comparable for Laine, or anyone else in the NHL for that matter. Kane lines up as a winger but in actual fact, shifts to play like the C whenever the puck is in the opposition half of the ice. He is given full latitude by his coach to essentially be a "rover", and his linemates all adjust their play accordingly to support him. Watch to see the unusual places he drifts to when seeking a soft spot for furthering the attack on net. This is not a style of line play that Maurice would sanction in his wildest nightmares.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
3 Jets players have stated the last 2 years they wanted to play higher up the line up.
And it doesnt include Niku and Vesa, who had issues also.

And we only dissect Laine. Who is probably the only player out of all those had a case to back up what he said.

The young man put in the effort in his 4th year.
And now we see his effort few weeks after the stanley cup, training already!

Who would not be piss if you keep seeing your name in the trade rumors and trade rumors to fill holes for the team you play for.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Did LAINE say 4th season?
Did it match with Darren Dregger report.

Was the report the writers interpretation

Or direct quote similar to what Liut interview quoted during the negotiation of his bridge contract positioning themselve. 3rd year off season

》》》 https://illegalcurve.com/patrik-lai...eg-jets-winger-on-sportsnets-starting-lineup/

Note: i added additional text in the comment you quoted before i saw your comment.
Those are not directly at you but to the intial poster i quoted.

Pardon? I am not sure what you're going on about now. Andy Scott who works part of Liut's said Laine's inconsistent minutes and usage is one of the reasoans he wants to part ways last week. You're citing something from 2019. He said this after a year where Laine played mostly with Scheifele and was one of the most used RWs in the NHL in terms of EV+PP TOI.

if Lebrun was BSing, i'd think the agent's job would be to come out and protect their client and to clarify what was meant. I haven't heard anything yet though, so perhaps usage/TOI was still an issue for Laine

Patrick Kane is uniquely different than any other winger in the NHL and is certainly not a comparable for Laine, or anyone else in the NHL for that matter. Kane lines up as a winger but in actual fact, shifts to play like the C whenever the puck is in the opposition half of the ice. He is given full latitude by his coach to essentially be a "rover", and his linemates all adjust their play accordingly to support him. Watch to see the unusual places he drifts to when seeking a soft spot for furthering the attack on net. This is not a style of line play that Maurice would sanction in his wildest nightmares.

The overall point is, i've never heard Kane demand to play with better linemates or top line like Laine has. He has often played with pretty below-average top 6 calibre linemates over the years and still puts up great numbers. Laine i don't think has the skill-set to play in the manner you're suggesting tbh, doesn't mean he's a bad player, just different play style

Reactions: Teemusalami204

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I continue to be amazed that any of us think we have the foggiest notion what might be troubling Laine. or what it is that he`s conveyed to the Jets organization.There`s room for wild-assed speculation like we see all over this thread, but honestly, it`s starting to wear thin. To be honest, I am surprised that a knowledgeable hockey person such as yourself would imply that who Laine plays with has nothing to do with whatever troubles him and that such issue is somehow just a question of semantics.

Yes, which C he gets to play with is important , and I have no doubt that Laine was not terribly enthused when Chevy secured Eakin as his C last season - anymore than most of us on this board were.It s too bad that the overall team/player relationship seems to have soured so much that Laine may have seen this as a demotion and now may be having difficulty in appreciating Chevy`s efforts to improve that situation by upgrading the C to Stastny. The irony here is that Stastny might be a much better fit for Laine than Scheifele, all things considered.
When did I say I think I have the foggiest idea what Laine thinks? I’ll be the first guy in line to say I don’t and neither does anyone else, despite how much they try to convince us all they do.

All the speculation is wearing thin, you give me grief about having the foggiest notion of what’s going on and then you pretend to have no doubt what it’s all about?

While I have no idea what Laine thinks, I’m smart enough to know all of this is about leveraging more money when the time comes though.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
He’s a comparable in the sense that he doesn’t necessarily play on what people consider the defacto top line. For those who like to define such things, he’s a 2nd line winger. Also, the talk for years in Chicago is about finding a Centre to play with Kane, although none of it has to do with him complaining about it.

Reactions: ecolad and DRW204

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Pardon? I am not sure what you're going on about now. Andy Scott who works part of Liut's said Laine's inconsistent minutes and usage is one of the reasoans he wants to part ways last week. You're citing something from 2019. He said this after a year where Laine played mostly with Scheifele and was one of the most used RWs in the NHL in terms of EV+PP TOI.

if Lebrun was BSing, i'd think the agent's job would be to come out and protect their client and to clarify what was meant. I haven't heard anything yet though, so perhaps usage/TOI was still an issue for Laine

The overall point is, i've never heard Kane demand to play with better linemates or top line like Laine has. He has often played with pretty below-average top 6 calibre linemates over the years and still puts up great numbers. Laine i don't think has the skill-set to play in the manner you're suggesting tbh, doesn't mean he's a bad player, just different play style

Correct - Kane plays a totally different playstyle than Laine. He has extra-ordinary skills but most importantly has absolutely flourished playing 2nd line, thereby mostly avoiding other team`s top lines. The coach is smart enough to utilize Kane effectively as a floating C, with linemates who are complimentary and dedicated to support him.The actual C`s you quote are there to do the grittier work of puck pursuit and puck retreival He has no possiible reason to insist that he be elevated to the "top line" to play with more skill.

Reactions: jhdfeidgebrjdfdiufu

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
To add
Doesn't Patrick Kane though is marked playing 2nd line in the line up card .

Has average almost 21.5 minutes per game the last 4 years?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Just this last season players unequivocally better than Laine were not on first lines in Toronto, Tampa, Chicago, Pittsburg, Washington (interestingly all those teams are relatively recent cup winners with the exception of Toronto), I can add a few more teams with players who are better that play on the 2nd line but that would descend into a discussion if those players are indeed "better" than him so I won't go there.

If a player is upset about averaging 49 seconds less at 5 on 5 than the "top line winger" on the team than that to me is more an indictment of the player and the player being selfish.

I'm not suggesting giving Laine everything he wants is the solution, but I'm sure there have been mistakes on all sides here. Wheeler was admittedly very intense a couple of years ago and I'm sure he clashed with Laine in the room.

Reactions: HHel and ecolad

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Just this last season players unequivocally better than Laine were not on first lines in Toronto, Tampa, Chicago, Pittsburg, Washington (interestingly all those teams are relatively recent cup winners with the exception of Toronto), I can add a few more teams with players who are better that play on the 2nd line but that would descend into a discussion if those players are indeed "better" than him so I won't go there.

If a player is upset about averaging 49 seconds less at 5 on 5 than the "top line winger" on the team than that to me is more an indictment of the player and the player being selfish.
Those cup winning teams have 2 top 6 C’s, where it wouldn’t matter which one you played with. Moving guys around your top 6 based on match-ups or simply to spark a player or two, is much easier in that situation.

During Laine’s time in Winnipeg, he has seen Scheifele (our top C by far), and Little be our top 6 C’s for the most part. Having Laine flank defensively-sound Little to start his career on a 2nd line made a lot of sense. Playing him with his buddy Ehlers, along with Little, seemed to be a good strategy as these emerging young players would have easier match-ups and Little being their defensive conscious. But there was no offensive chemistry with Little. They think the game differently. And other than Stastny in 2018, there has been no other legit top 6 C employed by the Jets, edit: Hayes doesn’t count if you don’t play him in top 6. So, if you’re not with Scheifele, your cast on a inferior line and role in Patrik’s eyes. And I don’t blame him.

Laine has been the scorer, the go-to guy in Finland for most of his young career. I think he feels he has earned that position here. I think the Jets want him to really earn that role, not think he should have it. Neither side is wrong.

Now with Stastny back, assuming he hasn’t fallen off too much, this may have been the chance for the Jets to have two legit 1A/1B lines. Players could move freely from line 1A to 1B, switch Ehlers and Connor one shift, game or week - no problem. Switch Wheeler and Laine. Done.

Give Patrik the challenge whatever C and LW you play with, you be the guy. You lead. You take charge. It’s your line. He has the horses with him. It’s not like he’s having to do that with Eakin as his C. And for everyone that says, he should do that anyway, now, try doing that with a 4th line player. You still do your part and try to be the go-to guy but you know you can’t excel, especially if you want to attack off the rush and your 4th line linemate only dumps pucks.

I can totally understand Laine’s position, and the Jets as well. What I don’t understand is after getting the top 6 sorted out a bit, why not make amends with Laine. Talk to him about the challenge of an expanded role with the horses he needs to be successful. He wants to earn that salary, well we want you to reach your potential too and we’re setting you up for success. And in the future, young Perfetti might work very well with you also. But Scheifele is there if Perfetti doesn’t reach his potential.

Instead, it seems like they want to move him for a lesser quality dman. I can’t imagine anyone giving up a top pairing dman, for a scoring winger, in this current COVID climate. Especially one that is cost controlled.

Reactions: ecolad

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
To add
Doesn't Patrick Kane though is marked playing 2nd line in the line up card .

Has average almost 21.5 minutes per game the last 4 years?
This year Laine was only behind kane in ev+pp toi. Yet there's still moans and groans about top line mins

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I don’t think Laine moans and groans about top line mins if he’s not put on a line with Eakin at the end of the season.

I think Laine just sees what his captain got by moaning and groaning to be back at wing with his boy Scheifele. Works for him, maybe it will work for me.

And by getting Stastny back, maybe it did to a degree.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I'm not suggesting giving Laine everything he wants is the solution, but I'm sure there have been mistakes on all sides here. Wheeler was admittedly very intense a couple of years ago and I'm sure he clashed with Laine in the room.

Yes, it would be very interesting to know what is said in the "room". But equally interesting is what is said outside the "room". either directly in pressers or perhaps what is shared with/overheard by local media in less formal settings. Is there another organization that permits players like Wheeler to comment on the coaches competency, or, posits that it is he who decides where he will play and with whom? Or for Scheifele to posit that his preference is to play with Wheeler/Connor ? Or even more disconcerting, for Sheifele to posit specifically that he does not want to play with a particular player (Laine)? These are all potential relationship busters.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I'll say this.

Malkin often doesn't play with Crosby. and rather than whining about it in the press and asking for trades....He excels on the ice and helps Crosby and the team be better.

I want Pate to be that guy.

But it’s ok for Schiefele to state who he wants to play with , which is essentially the same thing?
I just want to understand the rules here.
That’s all Laine is stating as well.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yes, it would be very interesting to know what is said in the "room". But equally interesting is what is said outside the "room". either directly in pressers or perhaps what is shared with/overheard by local media in less formal settings. Is there another organization that permits players like Wheeler to comment on the coaches competency, or, posits that it is he who decides where he will play and with whom? Or for Scheifele to posit that his preference is to play with Wheeler/Connor ? Or even more disconcerting, for Sheifele to posit specifically that he does not want to play with a particular player (Laine)? These are all potential relationship busters.

I'm sure it happens more than you'd think in all teams.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015

Perhaps, but if I were Chevy I`d want to end it here.Whether justified or not, the Jet`s organization is getting national press coverage which is very unflattering in the Sean Reynold`s piece. Time for another get together with Maurice and the two amigos to sort things out.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
But it’s ok for Schiefele to state who he wants to play with , which is essentially the same thing?
I just want to understand the rules here.
That’s all Laine is stating as well.
Could you please post the quote with scheifele stating who he wants to play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad