Player Discussion: Laine (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Agreed that CSL was never optimal since Connor and Line are both looking for the same soft areas in tjhe Ozone, and Laine became more of a playmaker and decoy on tjat line. Patrik has always had more succes with Ehlers and 55 IMHO but alas that appears to be history..

Have to answer the crituque that we finns have received on this board for not being REAL jets fans. How can you honestly be a real jets fan and swallow how Maurice has coached this team and 'm NOT refeering to the Laine situation.

No way the jets can win a cup during the Feffe and Helly window with Maurice coaching IMHO, with or without Laine.

Reactions: Ippenator

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Yep, Chevy has to absolutely win the trade or he's gone . You just know if Laine got traded he would score 5 goals against us every time we played against him. :banghead: :laugh:

What's funny or sad I guess, is that IMO most Jets fans aren't on some forum talking hockey all the time or reading every last tidbit about Laine being traded. A lot of fans ( fans the Jets and STHs need to purchase tickets ) are going to just wake up one day and find out Laine has been traded and go WTF???

This could be the Dave Babych trade all over again.

https://thehockeywriters.com/winnipeg-jets-hartford-whaleres-dave-babych/

Reactions: Jets 31

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
Barkov awaiting permission from Florida to play for Tappara. Laine might do the same

Last edited by a moderator:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I can't think of many other teams on which he'd not be on the first line - maybe Boston, and that's about it.
Just this last season players unequivocally better than Laine were not on first lines in Toronto, Tampa, Chicago, Pittsburg, Washington (interestingly all those teams are relatively recent cup winners with the exception of Toronto), I can add a few more teams with players who are better that play on the 2nd line but that would descend into a discussion if those players are indeed "better" than him so I won't go there.

If a player is upset about averaging 49 seconds less at 5 on 5 than the "top line winger" on the team than that to me is more an indictment of the player and the player being selfish.

Reactions: Gotaf7

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Just this last season players unequivocally better than Laine were not on first lines in Toronto, Tampa, Chicago, Pittsburg, Washington (interestingly all those teams are relatively recent cup winners with the exception of Toronto), I can add a few more teams with players who are better that play on the 2nd line but that would descend into a discussion if those players are indeed "better" than him so I won't go there.

If a player is upset about averaging 49 seconds less at 5 on 5 than the "top line winger" on the team than that to me is more an indictment of the player and the player being selfish.

I really doubt Laine's complaints (whatever they are and if they exist) have much to do with strict TOI.

Reactions: ecolad

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I really doubt Laine's complaints (whatever they are and if they exist) have much to do with strict TOI.
So then he's just complaining about which Centre he gets to play with? Top 6 line designations are largely semantics, it's about TOI.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Yeah I don't think he's going anywhere at this point. Probably not until next offseason at the earliest.

I've been critical of some parts of Laine's game but it should absolutely have not gotten to this point - a big name player that likes playing here, and can score a lot of goals. It's a big failure on the part of Maurice, Scheifele, Wheeler, and Chevy if he's traded because he wants to play somewhere else. I can't think of many other teams on which he'd not be on the first line - maybe Boston, and that's about it.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
So then he's just complaining about which Centre he gets to play with? Top 6 line designations are largely semantics, it's about TOI.

So do you agree that he's a "selfish player" who is "upset about averaging 49 seconds less at 5 on 5 than the "top line winger" on the team"?

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

You are correct. Laine, just as much as any fan who watches the Jets by now knows there'a 1st line and a 2nd line (minutes) and not something in between. That's just not in Maurice's playbook. You either play with Scheifele or you don't - we've all seen this before with Stastny around.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
My translation of the quote from Tappara's representative JUkka Rautakorpi is "there is a good chance of seeing Barkov and Jokiharju, but less regarding Laine since there are so many uncertain factors regarding his situation, IMHO this comment has nothing to do with trainig but allludes to the trade talks.

Great piece of journalism from Sean Reynolds here:

Are Jets and Laine heading for inevitable split? - Sportsnet.ca

Watching this makes me shake my head.
This is on the organization for allowing a clique within the dressing room chose the line up with full compliance with coaching and management.
What a waste and should he end up elsewhere he will flourish.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I could see Laine not being happy with Eakin as his center but i would think he would be happy playing with Stastny and Ehlers . For all we know that line could produce better than Scheifele , Connor and Wheeler because they wouldn't be against the other teams top defenseman as much as Scheifele's line. Then Laine takes all those good numbers with him when trying to negotiate a new contract. That's supposed to be me thinking by the way .:laugh:

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I could see Laine not being happy with Eakin as his center but i would think he would be happy playing with Stastny and Ehlers . For all we know that line could produce better than Scheifele , Connor and Wheeler because they wouldn't be against the other teams top defenseman as much as Scheifele's line. Then Laine takes all those good numbers with him when trying to negotiate a new contract. That's supposed to be me thinking by the way .:laugh:

If Stastny has not declined much and if Maurice stops doing his antics with "there is 1st line taking all the opportunity and then there are some other lines", I have no reason why ESL could not be the best Jet line as they were in 17-18.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If Stastny has not declined much and if Maurice stops doing his antics with "there is 1st line taking all the opportunity and then there are some other lines", I have no reason why ESL could not be the best Jet line as they were in 17-18.
If Maurice is smart, which i think he is, he would just call them line 1A and line 1B right at the start of camp . Now watch all the people get on me for thinking Maurice is smart. :laugh:

Reactions: Halberdier

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If Maurice is smart, which i think he is, he would just call them line 1A and line 1B right at the start of camp . Now watch all the people get on me for thinking Maurice is smart. :laugh:
I don't think the coach every gives them a #. That is a fan and media creation.

Reactions: Ducky10

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I'll say this.

Malkin often doesn't play with Crosby. and rather than whining about it in the press and asking for trades....He excels on the ice and helps Crosby and the team be better.

I want Pate to be that guy.

Reactions: Gotaf7

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015

I continue to be amazed that any of us think we have the foggiest notion what might be troubling Laine. or what it is that he`s conveyed to the Jets organization.There`s room for wild-assed speculation like we see all over this thread, but honestly, it`s starting to wear thin. To be honest, I am surprised that a knowledgeable hockey person such as yourself would imply that who Laine plays with has nothing to do with whatever troubles him and that such issue is somehow just a question of semantics.

Yes, which C he gets to play with is important , and I have no doubt that Laine was not terribly enthused when Chevy secured Eakin as his C last season - anymore than most of us on this board were.It s too bad that the overall team/player relationship seems to have soured so much that Laine may have seen this as a demotion and now may be having difficulty in appreciating Chevy`s efforts to improve that situation by upgrading the C to Stastny. The irony here is that Stastny might be a much better fit for Laine than Scheifele, all things considered.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This is on the organization for allowing a clique within the dressing room chose the line up with full compliance with coaching and management.
Which players are members of this "clique"?

Scheifele? Wheeler? Ehlers? Connor? Morrissey? Hellebuyck? Lowry? Copp? Pionk?

Are these the lines that this "clique" forced on Maurice last season?

upload_2020-10-23_16-1-45.png

Reactions: Klondiker98

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'll say this.

Malkin often doesn't play with Crosby. and rather than whining about it in the press and asking for trades....He excels on the ice and helps Crosby and the team be better.

I want Pate to be that guy.
I think Patrick Kane is the more adept comparison as Malkin and Sid plays the same position. Kane is typically 2Rw playing next to an array C over the years.... Strome, Bolland, handzus Richards, yet still putting up elite numbers. Don't recall ever hearing Patrick Kane complain about linemates or usage like Laine has the past two off seasons.

Reactions: Ducky10

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

Dont confuse last season as the back half of 2nd & 3rd season where Laine was refering to about his ice time.

Laine has said nothing about his 4th season ice time.
LOOK , right now he is the only Jets player while the rest (which is cool), look in their instagram account, enjoying their time on vacations.
Where are these bashers now that was saying Laine lacks commitment just last week.
(Its like new stuff weekly, this week topic in the main board his shooting % :laugh: )

Stop making things up.

Lets not Mix things up PLEASE.....

Last
Please make the this long list of players who has outscored Laine the last 4 years playing on Line 2 (2nd line ice time) Majority of time.

The way people dissect Laine here and in the main board, you know he is a special player.

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
This post makes me shake my head.

He’ll flourish here, it’s well within his control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $365.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark