Player Discussion: Laine (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Continue

Mod warning: If you want to come to this team forum to insult Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg or the people who live in these areas.......you will potentially be banned from this team forum. Kids (13+) on are this forum and read it everyday, they don't need to see that dumb crap.

Just so we're perfectly clear, you've been warned.

Last edited:

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
I may be in the minority here but to me Laine comes off as a spoiled brat. He's made it to the NHL on his god given natural talents alone but has shown very little motivation in reaching the next level. While guys like Scheifele are busting their ass with Gary Roberts every offseason, Laine is openly telling reporters in the past that he spends his offseasons playing video games and doing next to no skating/training. I think the Jets were waiting for the light to go on and for Laine to take it upon himself and put in the extra effort to be great. I mean common, guys his size should be beasts along the boards and be able to win puck battles using his reach and 6'5" frame alone. He loses puck battles at an astounding rate for a guy his size and is as soft as butter with the puck on his stick. A stiff wind and he coughs up the puck. And dont tell me he hasnt been given every opportunity. He's played plenty all over the top 6, and Chevy has spent many a 1st round pick and cash to find a center for him to click with. At some point maybe its time to realize that the problem is with Laine himself and not everyone around him?? He comes off as a lazy entitled 20 year old who hasnt earned the right to dictate to the team/coach where and who he plays with. I think a trade is the best thing for the team at this point.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I would like to pose a hypothetical question to my fellow board members. I'm considering making it a poll question but want to casually pose it here first.

Let's say your the GM and or have final say on how Laine's future is determined as Jet. You know as of now, Laine prefers a trade and there's a good chance he won't want to stay here long term. You have the following choice to make:

1. Trade him now and get what you perceive as about 75 percent of his true trade value.

2. Play him this season and risk his trade stock going down to about 65 percent value .

3. Play him 2 seasons

and risk his trade stock going down to about 55 percent value .

4. Play him 3 seasons and only get about 40 percent value just before he is a UFA.

5. Try all 3 years to try to get him to sign long term and let him walk if you can't. Don't trade at all.

This hypothetical question precludes you know you would never get 100 percent value or an overpayment for Laine. And there's a strong chance he doesnt resign.

So based on that, which of the 5 options above would you chose if those are your only options?

Last edited:

Winland

Mar 5, 2016
I may be in the minority here but to me Laine comes off as a spoiled brat. He's made it to the NHL on his god given natural talents alone but has shown very little motivation in reaching the next level. While guys like Scheifele are busting their ass with Gary Roberts every offseason, Laine is openly telling reporters in the past that he spends his offseasons playing video games and doing next to no skating/training. I think the Jets were waiting for the light to go on and for Laine to take it upon himself and put in the extra effort to be great. I mean common, guys his size should be beasts along the boards and be able to win puck battles using his reach and 6'5" frame alone. He loses puck battles at an astounding rate for a guy his size and is as soft as butter with the puck on his stick. A stiff wind and he coughs up the puck. And dont tell me he hasnt been given every opportunity. He's played plenty all over the top 6, and Chevy has spent many a 1st round pick and cash to find a center for him to click with. At some point maybe its time to realize that the problem is with Laine himself and not everyone around him?? He comes off as a lazy entitled 20 year old who hasnt earned the right to dictate to the team/coach where and who he plays with. I think a trade is the best thing for the team at this point.

Take your vitamins bud.

Why does he seem as a spoiled brat? He makes a lot of charity work in Finland. He also works his ass off with his fitness trainer and skating wasn't in his training schedule in the past. Yes, he probably plays a lot of video games ON HIS FREE TIME. Didn't you see any change last season? Have you seen him play?

LAZY? Is he trying to dictate team/coach? Rumors and it's his agent doing the 'money talk'.

Yeah, trade him quick. You don't deserve him like you didn't deserve Teemu.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I would like to pose a hypothetical question to my fellow board members. I'm considering making it a poll question but want to casually pose it here first.

Let's say your the GM and or have final say on how Laine's future is determined as Jet. You know as of now, Laine prefers a trade and there's a good chance he won't want to stay here long term. You have the following choice to make:

1. Trade him now and get what you perceive as about 75 percent of his true trade value.

2. Play him this season and risk his trade stock going down to about 65 percent value .

3. Play him 2 seasons

4. Play him 3 seasons and only get about 40 percent value just before he is a UFA.

5. Try all 3 years to try to get him to sign long term and let him walk if you can't. Don't trade at all.

This hypothetical question precludes you know you would never get 100 percent value or an overpayment for Laine. And there's a strong chance he doesnt resign.

So based on that, which of the 5 options above would you chose if those are your only options?

I would trade him now. The cap is going to be flat next season as well and he is going to be arbitration eligible with a minimum QO 7.5 million and possibly an arbitration award > 8 million- that will lower his values to teams and potentially decrease the teams interested.

Last edited:

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
While I cheer for Laine to succeed as a Jet, my impression of him was tarnished right off the bat in that pre-draft interview.
He couldn’t even be bothered to get up off the couch. Who lies down during an interview?
That just screams disrespect.
Some called it confidence or quirkiness. I just think it was disrespectful and cocky - not in a good way.
That being said, you don’t trade him unless you get a fantastic offer.
I am a bit concerned about his shot and wonder if it’s a back issue, or wrist issue. That incredible shot seems to be declining for some reason.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I would trade him now. The cap is going to be flat next season as well and he is going to be arbitration eligible with a minimum QA 7.5 million and possibly an arbitration award > 8 million- that will lower his values to teams and potentially decrease the teams interested.

That's what I'm leaning towards ( at least within the confines in my question)

Its a risk reward scenario. You need to decide which of these 2 scenarios is more likely to play out: Trading him and get what you can now versus hoping you can turn things around with Laine, make him happy and productive while helping the team as well. But if you fail, you lose out on trade and potential assets that could of made you better.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Take your vitamins bud.

Why does he seem as a spoiled brat? He makes a lot of charity work in Finland. He also works his ass off with his fitness trainer and skating wasn't in his training schedule in the past. Yes, he probably plays a lot of video games ON HIS FREE TIME. Didn't you see any change last season? Have you seen him play?

LAZY? Is he trying to dictate team/coach? Rumors and it's his agent doing the 'money talk'.

Yeah, trade him quick. You don't deserve him like you didn't deserve Teemu.

That's the difference between Laine and McDavid. In Laine's free time he plays video games. In McDavid's free time he just keeps on training. To be the best you have to want to be the best. I've never seen that from Laine outside of just saying it.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

3. Play him 2 seasons

The problem with this scenario is right now there aren't even any teams interested in giving us 75% of his value. With covid, a flat cap and the likelihood that his ask is very high, it seems there aren't many teams "lining up" as many would put it to acquire Laine. The risk involved is to great. If he's a 30 goal scorer going forward those players aren't super hard to find. But if he ends up being a 40+ scorer than you strike gold on a trade. That's a tonne of risk to any team. You give up high value and get burned while giving him $9+ million on a long term deal and you look like a complete fool. There would be no question if Laine was a proven 40+ scorer, as in more than one season worth. But he isn't.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
The problem with this scenario is right now there aren't even any teams interested in giving us 75% of his value. With covid, a flat cap and the likelihood that his ask is very high, it seems there aren't many teams "lining up" as many would put it to acquire Laine. The risk involved is to great. If he's a 30 goal scorer going forward those players aren't super hard to find. But if he ends up being a 40+ scorer than you strike gold on a trade. That's a tonne of risk to any team. You give up high value and get burned while giving him $9+ million on a long term deal and you look like a complete fool. There would be no question if Laine was a proven 40+ scorer, as in more than one season worth. But he isn't.

Don't really disagree with what you said. Although I think his (perceived) value may be a bit higher. I guess what I was trying to get at with my question is do the jets get what they can in a trade now (Laine is what he is now) or hope (or project) he does develop into a perennial 40 goal scorer

Last edited:

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba

3. Play him 2 seasons

Option 6 sign him long term and take a chance on him being the superstar franchise player as those are rare to find especially when we can't land star free agents here.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Apparently we need to please Laine to get him to stay (which isn't great but I also don't want to trade him).

Best to worst options:
1. Fire Maurice
2. Reunite Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine on line 1 (amazing line)
3. Top line of Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler or Connor-Scheifele-Laine (probably would be great lines)
4. Do nothing and hope he still shows up
5. Trade Laine

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Option 6 sign him long term and take a chance on him being the superstar franchise player as those are rare to find especially when we can't land star free agents here.

Happy to add that option but do you think Laine would agree to sign long term right now?

If your the Jets, how much and how long would you be willing to pay him?

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
That's the difference between Laine and McDavid. In Laine's free time he plays video games. In McDavid's free time he just keeps on training. To be the best you have to want to be the best. I've never seen that from Laine outside of just saying it.

How did we come up with this that Laine dont train.

He plays video games after road game or home games. Other players drink or go to restaurants and eat. Or pick up ladies lol.

He trains as hard as anybody.
He took the initiative to train with a euro team while negotiating contract.

Just because someone do not publicly issue statement on his training doesnt mean he doesnt.
See Kyle Connor, he trains quietly also.

Last edited:

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Laine has NOT asked for a trade! That is a fact. But hearing he is on the block regardless has pissed him off. That is my take on this.
He hasn't requested a trade, but his agent told Lebrun today that they feel at this point that a trade is what is probably best for both him and the jets. That's about as close as you can get to asking for a trade without saying the words "Trade me". He may not have wanted to be traded before, but it looks like he does now.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
It was two years ago that Laine was putting out quotes like this:
Other than destroying Nik Ehlers in Call of Duty, I think the best thing to happen to me last year was falling in love with Winnipeg.

I mean, I heard some guys talking bad about the city and that Winnipeg was not a good place. What do they know? I love Winnipeg. This is my home. These are my people now. I play for them. It’s a great, great city. Everyone who lives here really cares about one another, that’s what stands out to me. We are one group, all of us. Everybody is your neighbor.

Winnipeg is bad? No. Winnipeg is good.

And this:
When I first came here from Finland, the Jets helped me a lot.

I owe the team a lot for putting me in a good spot for my rookie season. I never felt too much pressure. I was able to be me. I was able to be that kid in the backyard with his dad. And that kid loved to score. So I scored. And I remember every goal. Like, I’m not kidding. I can tell you who got the primary assist, secondary assist, who I scored on, what the situation was … all that stuff. For all 36 goals. But my first one was definitely my best.

So the optimist in me says "this is all posturing as he tries to go for more money and more playing time", and once the team starts winning again (and isn't a disaster in underlying metrics), everything will be fine and dandy. But the pessimist in me also says "what the hell happened in two years to cause this much breakdown in the relationship?"

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I may be in the minority here but to me Laine comes off as a spoiled brat. He's made it to the NHL on his god given natural talents alone but has shown very little motivation in reaching the next level. .

Its not his fault that he is one of the best at what he does. Based on the last 4 years he is.

How is he not motivated to improve.
That is false.

This is the (new) narrative now i see post on Laine. So i am rebutting this....

Laine might get of the skin of some of his teammates. Not motivated , don't think so.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Laine has NOT asked for a trade! That is a fact. But hearing he is on the block regardless has pissed him off. That is my take on this.

My suspicion is that his agent was the one who spoke to Seravelli and got this whole thing started in the first place. Players and agents are smart enough to know if the media is just speculating on their own, so if Laine is mad because some reporters keep bringing up his name in their blogs then he really is extremely sensitive.

Locking up Laine long term is preferable but if there are personality conflicts in the room then moving him might be best for everyone. I can certainly see how a group like Scheifele, Wheeler, etc who train very hard and put a lot of extra work into their games would clash with a guy who admits himself that he is a little less gung ho on his own training.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

He may not have explicitly "asked" for a trade but my read of the situation based on the media reports is that the ask from Laine camp is such that it is defacto asking for a trade (like wanting 10 million or more on a 3 year deal as a condition of resigning and guarantee of top line ice time). There are ways you can let an org know that you basically want to be traded without explicitly demanding a trade.

Reactions: JetsUK

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It was two years ago that Laine was putting out quotes like this:

And this:

So the optimist in me says "this is all posturing as he tries to go for more money and more playing time", and once the team starts winning again (and isn't a disaster in underlying metrics), everything will be fine and dandy. But the pessimist in me also says "what the hell happened in two years to cause this much breakdown in the relationship?"
I think contract negotiations have created a rift. It's not a surprise, since many top young players have had issues during tough negotiations (see Marner, Mitch).

The comments from Laine about his line were very clearly linked to his contract value. I suspect that the Jets have decided that they can't justify paying Laine close to what other contemporary young stars made, like Matthews and Marner. I think Laine believes he deserves close to what they make, or would if he had played all the time on a top line. I also think the Jets can't imagine paying him around $10M, for two reasons. One, it would be so much beyond what Scheifele, Ehlers and Connor are making. Perhaps more importantly, the Jets have probably made the calculation that their roster model won't be as viable with that much invested in a pure scorer, particularly since they already have two top end scorers in Scheifele and Connor.

My hope is that they patch things up and Laine signs a deal that is reasonable. But I think that looks unlikely, now. Chevy is really on the line to make a good trade. I think it's possible, but it won't be easy and it might take some time to assess how the trade turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark