Player Discussion: Laine (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Wheeler paid his dues to get that contract. The upside for paying a player for what he has done is you are rewarding someone for going to battle for your team. The downside to paying a player for what he might be is you wast money on absolutely nothing, not even memories.
Can't wait to compare their numbers over the next 4 years.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Someone talk me off the ledge. I wanna say this is just TSN looking for clicks but it’s giving me Trouba flashbacks.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Hearing his name on the trade block has not pissed him off!! He is pissed of that he has not been traded yet!!

Where are you guys getting these claims that he wants Mathews ans Marner Money!!?

Patrik wants Mathews/marner ice time!!!!

Its not about Money it is about Paul f'n Maurice!!!

AGAIN in plain english straight from his agent:

" given that his usage in the lineup the last couple of years has been a constant topic of conversation, the fact that he doesn't get consistent first-line minutes, his agents Mike Liut and Andy Scott do confirm that it probably would be mutually beneficial to both the player and to the team if Patrik Laine is traded and that there is clear communication between them and Kevin Cheveldayoff, the GM of the Winnipeg Jets, about this."

Last edited:

Calcutta

Oct 3, 2019
I wonder how Perfetti changes the ultimate return we'd need if trading Laine. If he projects as 2C, then we need a RW for him, a replacement for Wheelerand a true 1RHD.

Pionks going to want a raise, but if he works with Samberg on the 2nd line I'd be loathe to move him.
We've got depth on the left of the attack but if Roslo, Laine leave and Wheeler drops off we're left with just Appleton... Even Lipon has gone to Russia.
What 1RHD might be available and young enough to last us well into the Schiefele - Perfetti window? Without drafting one I can't see many options.

If Laine wants out then the team are probably playing it right keeping him this year and bringing stasny in, get the kids value up as high as possible. But moving him is going to have to return a haul or we're left with Tucker Poolman having to play wing-back on seven lines at a time.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
That's the difference between Laine and McDavid. In Laine's free time he plays video games. In McDavid's free time he just keeps on training. To be the best you have to want to be the best. I've never seen that from Laine outside of just saying it.
I am sure that McDavid spends his free time doing things that take his mind off hockey and helps him relax and recover. He is a smart guy after all, and like any true professional he has a sustainable routine that will prolong his career, which includes dedicated time off from work.

"To be the best you have to want to be the best. I've never seen that from Laine outside of just saying it." Let's be honest – you've never seen that from anyone, but you've gotten the impression that McDavid trains all the time when he's not playing hockey, while Laine plays video games all the time when he's not Playing? If that was the case, McDavid would have run into a wall by now and be diagnosed with a burnout.

We as fans should be happy that our future franchise superstar has a hobby that he can enjoy anywhere with a decent internet, instead of hitting the town and going out. If he was more into that, I am sure that he would get out of Winnipeg as soon as possible.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I am sure that McDavid spends his free time doing things that take his mind off hockey and helps him relax and recover. He is a smart guy after all, and like any true professional he has a sustainable routine that will prolong his career, which includes dedicated time off from work.

"To be the best you have to want to be the best. I've never seen that from Laine outside of just saying it." Let's be honest – you've never seen that from anyone, but you've gotten the impression that McDavid trains all the time when he's not playing hockey, while Laine plays video games all the time when he's not Playing? If that was the case, McDavid would have run into a wall by now and be diagnosed with a burnout.

We as fans should be happy that our future franchise superstar has a hobby that he can enjoy anywhere with a decent internet, instead of hitting the town and going out. If he was more into that, I am sure that he would get out of Winnipeg as soon as possible.

The reality is that almost everything guys like McDavid, Matthews and Scheifele do is centered around hockey. Sure they unwind from time to time. Scheif likes to wakeboard. But the point of that is no matter what Scheifele is doing, it's usually some sort of physical activity. Not sitting on his ass gaming.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Oh no doubt Laine will eventually overtake Wheeler in production. If he doesn't then he should be ashamed.
I expect Laine will have more PPG+ seasons in those 4 years than Wheeler has had in his entire career.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I expect Laine will have more PPG+ seasons in those 4 years than Wheeler has had in his entire career.

Guys had like 2 in his entire career. I sure as f*** hope Laine does, especially if we pay him $9+ million. He better have a lot more than f***ing 2. So far he has zippity do da zero.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Because it's evident that he doesn't. Someone that trains as hard as the best doesn't see minimal improvement after 4 years. They don't see a regression in their shot, they don't see very littel increase in their skating ability. Laine might train as hard as anybody. But the best of the best in the NHL aren't "anybody" they are the absolute peak of athletic performance. The lone exception to this rule is Ovi, who gets by on natural talent and alcohol.
Laine literally has had the same summer training as Rantanen in Colorado, who is regarded as a bona fide physical specimen of hockey player. So, either they are both lazy, or your theory is…lacking.

We as fans should be mad at the team management when our team – that is one of the most unwanted destinations among NHL players – gets lucky and drafts a future superstar in Laine – who shows an unforeseen ability to score goals at a record setting pace – only to play mismanage him and screw up his career as a Jet. Paul Maurice should have been gone before the start of last season, and Chevy should have made clear that Laine gets to play 1st line minutes, as he will in any team he goes to.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Rumour is CBJ and MTL mad offers to but they were pretty underwhelming. I remember not even a month ago everyone said that teams would be lining up to land Laine and he could surely fetch a 1C or 1D. Turns out the vast majority of the league doesn't want him and he can't fetch much.

I'm kind of getting sick of the Laine apologists constantly cheerleading for him to be the be all end all of this team when all he's proven is he can score on the PP.
And ES. You "forgot" his ES goals :sarcasm:

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
The reality is that almost everything guys like McDavid, Matthews and Scheifele do is centered around hockey. Sure they unwind from time to time. Scheif likes to wakeboard. But the point of that is no matter what Scheifele is doing, it's usually some sort of physical activity. Not sitting on his ass gaming.
Maybe in an alternate universe where humans rest and recover by straining their bodies and minds, but in this reality, in our space and time, human beings thrive when they are rested and happy. Life is not a Rocky IV movie :laugh:

Winland

Mar 5, 2016

You sure seem to know a lot about hockey players' free time activities. With your logic McJesus, Matthews and Scheifele never rest their bodies and just do whatever sports in all their free time.

I could try and find a study about how fps gaming improves your reflexes and hand-eye coordination.. Which both are quite useful in the game of hockey.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Laine literally has had the same summer training as Rantanen in Colorado, who is regarded as a bona fide physical specimen of hockey player. So, either they are both lazy, or your theory is…lacking.

We as fans should be mad at the team management when our team – that is one of the most unwanted destinations among NHL players – gets lucky and drafts a future superstar in Laine – who shows an unforeseen ability to score goals at a record setting pace – only to play mismanage him and screw up his career as a Jet. Paul Maurice should have been gone before the start of last season, and Chevy should have made clear that Laine gets to play 1st line minutes, as he will in any team he goes to.

Or one just works harder during that training than the other. Isn't Risto and Barkov part of that program as well? Seems like some are getting more out of it than others. It's almost as if it doesn't matter what program you;re part of, it matters how much work you actually put it. A 300lb guy can join a gym, doesn't mean he will lose weight without putting work in.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Maybe in an alternate universe where humans rest and recover by straining their bodies and minds, but in this reality, in our space and time, human beings thrive when they are rested and happy. Life is not a Rocky IV movie :laugh:

It's almost like you've never actually met and seen what a peak athlete does in their spare time. It's almost like you don't have a clue what they actually do... that's cute.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You sure seem to know a lot about hockey players' free time activities. With your logic McJesus, Matthews and Scheifele never rest their bodies and just do whatever sports in all their free time.

I could try and find a study about how fps gaming improves your reflexes and hand-eye coordination.. Which both are quite useful in the game of hockey.

You could but it would be completely pointless. Otherwise the best NHLers would spend all their spare time playing a Fortnite. Except that they don't. I'm not saying every NHLer doesn't unwind, but I've seen how much Laine plays PS because his account name went public. Everyone has seen it. The guy spent more time playing video games than I did when I was 12, jobless and had nowhere else to be outside of school. Pretty f***ing sad. Dudes an NHLer and he spends more time shit talking to 14 year olds than most 14 year olds.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Hearing his name on the trade block has not pissed him off!! He is pissed of that he has not been traded yet!!

Where are you guys getting these claims that he wants Mathews ans Marner Money!!?

Patrik wants Mathews/marner ice time!!!!

Its not about Money it is about Paul f'n Maurice!!!

AGAIN in plain english straight from his agent:

" given that his usage in the lineup the last couple of years has been a constant topic of conversation, the fact that he doesn't get consistent first-line minutes, his agents Mike Liut and Andy Scott do confirm that it probably would be mutually beneficial to both the player and to the team if Patrik Laine is traded and that there is clear communication between them and Kevin Cheveldayoff, the GM of the Winnipeg Jets, about this."

It's always been about Maurice. He straight up messed it up.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I would like to pose a hypothetical question to my fellow board members. I'm considering making it a poll question but want to casually pose it here first.

Let's say your the GM and or have final say on how Laine's future is determined as Jet. You know as of now, Laine prefers a trade and there's a good chance he won't want to stay here long term. You have the following choice to make:

1. Trade him now and get what you perceive as about 75 percent of his true trade value.

2. Play him this season and risk his trade stock going down to about 65 percent value .

3. Play him 2 seasons

and risk his trade stock going down to about 55 percent value .

4. Play him 3 seasons and only get about 40 percent value just before he is a UFA.

5. Try all 3 years to try to get him to sign long term and let him walk if you can't. Don't trade at all.

This hypothetical question precludes you know you would never get 100 percent value or an overpayment for Laine. And there's a strong chance he doesnt resign.

So based on that, which of the 5 options above would you chose if those are your only options?

I think I would take away the assumed numerical values? If not then I would drop this off seasons value to the lowest level (say 30%) to be more realistic. Bump it up next off season. I honestly think his best value For the Jets may be like Trouba’s in his last off season window. By then COVID may be behind us and the new comps will be set. Then wind it down to walking for nothing like Pietrangelo did. I am convinced the return this season is a mess. It’s my belief both sides wanted this deal to happen.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
One thing to keep in mind is that the offense has mostly been run through the defenders. I imagine it is very difficult to outscore the opponent in the expected goals department unless you are very good at grinding and cycling. The system is just bad for this team in any case.

I hope the Jets do the correct move and make significant changes to how they run the team and hope the Laine situation can be salvaged. It makes sense in regards to Perfetti as well. Start damage control even before the damage.

Laine will be one of the top players in this league, which is why a trade cannot be won at this point, but I understand it is one way to resolve the situation as well, which the Jets are free to do of course.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Guys had like 2 in his entire career. I sure as f*** hope Laine does, especially if we pay him $9+ million. He better have a lot more than f***ing 2. So far he has zippity do da zero.

Wheeler will get paid 8.25 for what, 5 more years.

He will never touch 80 again, let alone 90. He had those numbers surprisingly when he was feeding Laine on PP and eating his icetime up in even strength.

If Laine leaves, then Wheeler keeps his 1st line minutes but he's a 60+ point player for a couple of seasons and drops off a cliff. Jets will pay for those two 90+ years for a bit then.

As you said, he got rewarded, he earned his big contract. When they run hockey management that way too, then we get these results. The young, far more talented player gets pushed aside because the veteran player keeps talking the coach up in the media, and riding on a point high partly created by the presence of mentioned better talent. Paul doesn't know how to work with talent, he knows how to work with yes men.

Now they get "rewarded" for that rewarding. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad