Player Discussion: Laine (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
If the Jets think Laine is what he is, then the Jets should trade him. I think they may squeeze good value out of him and find a GM who thinks Laine can get to the next level if he "can get out of winnipeg "

If the Jets think Laine can be that perennial 40 goal scorer in time, then you keep him and the money and fit should all fall into place.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I'm curious. Lets say the Jets hypothetically played Laine on the 1st line the whole season and stayed on PP for the full 2 minutes . And his point total was similar or worse than last year, What would he or his agent say? Can't say need to be on the top line then. So what? The players he played with on the 1st line sucked?,

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Winland

Mar 5, 2016
I'm getting so much negativity from some of the posts..

People rather think he is lazy when he doesn't make a number about his training..

He makes quirky and honest comments about his free time hobbies... Jets fans: "He doesn't train enough! McDavid trains while taking a poop."

He is being quirky, relaxed and humorous in his draft day interview.. Jets fans: "He is being cocky!"

Someone starts saying that Jets should trade either Ehlers or Laine due to crowded winger section.. Jets fans: "Laine demanding a trade!"

Get real!!!

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
How did we come up with this that Laine dont train.

He plays video games after road game or home games. Other players drink or go to restau and eat. Or pick up ladies lol.

He trains as hard as anybody.
He took the initiative to train with a euro team will negotiating contract.

Just because someone do not publicly ossue statement on his training doesnt mean he doesnt.
See Kyle Connor, he trains quietly also.

Because it's evident that he doesn't. Someone that trains as hard as the best doesn't see minimal improvement after 4 years. They don't see a regression in their shot, they don't see very littel increase in their skating ability. Laine might train as hard as anybody. But the best of the best in the NHL aren't "anybody" they are the absolute peak of athletic performance. The lone exception to this rule is Ovi, who gets by on natural talent and alcohol.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
News to me.

Most people know that Chevy never broadcasts or discusses things of this nature.

There’s been enough rumours

Carolina offered Necas+ Dman apparently but Jets wanted more

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Option 6 sign him long term and take a chance on him being the superstar franchise player as those are rare to find especially when we can't land star free agents here.

And if he doesn't pan out you'll completely forgive management for giving him a giant 8 year contract he doesn't live up to? And you'll forgive Maurcie for playing him on the top line because of that giant contract regardless of his play?

I seriously doubt it.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
There’s been enough rumours

Carolina offered Necas+ Dman apparently but Jets wanted more

Rumour is CBJ and MTL mad offers to but they were pretty underwhelming. I remember not even a month ago everyone said that teams would be lining up to land Laine and he could surely fetch a 1C or 1D. Turns out the vast majority of the league doesn't want him and he can't fetch much.

I'm kind of getting sick of the Laine apologists constantly cheerleading for him to be the be all end all of this team when all he's proven is he can score on the PP.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
And if he doesn't pan out you'll completely forgive management for giving him a giant 8 year contract he doesn't live up to? And you'll forgive Maurcie for playing him on the top line because of that giant contract regardless of his play?

I seriously doubt it.

I am not cool with watching Laine become a superstar on another team like Selanne.
When you have someone with potential like him you don't trade him away.

Coaches mean absolutely nothing to me and they can be let go at anytime if the team is losing.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I am not cool with watching Laine become a superstar on another team like Selanne.

Coaches mean absolutely nothing to me and they can be let go at anytime if the team is losing.

So if coaches are meaningless. Why does it matter which coach we have?

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

I seriously doubt it.

He has already planned out, he’s a 8 million a year player right now. Plenty of teams around the NHL would have no problem with him the way he is for that price

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

Fire Maurice for all I care, it likely changes little if anything when it comes to the Laine situation. He is an average coach, replace him with another average or above average coach and the final result is still likely the same.

Whataboutism in this Laine thing about Maurice/Wheeler/Connor/Scheifele is just a huge distraction. He simply hasn't come anyway near close to being able to handle tough top line minutes. The crux of the issue is that Laine wants to be paid like Matthews/Marner when he can't drive like those guys. That doesn't make him useless but that makes him a 8.5 million player not a 10million+ player who can be thrown on a line with OK but not elite players and still drive great results.

Reactions: Krauser and Ducky10

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
He has already planned out, he’s a 8 million a year player right now. Plenty of teams around the NHL would have no problem with him the way he is for that price

If Laine wanted 8 million a year for a long term deal (~5 year) we would not be having this conversation and he would already have been signed long term. The more likely case is that he wants to get paid like Marner/Matthews.

Reactions: Whileee

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
List of active Jets who have scored over 40 goals in a season:
Laine

List of active Jets who have finished top 10 for Rocket:
Laine (2nd 17-18, 7th 16-17)
Connor (6th
19-20)

Connor probably would've scored 40 this season if it was full 82 games, he was almost 100% lock for that. Then again, scoring is up by a lot compared to 17-18 or 16-17 and Laine was 18 & 19 years old during those seasons.

2016-2017 Laine 5v5 goal differential: +7 (2nd best behind Scheif, who was +13)
2017-2018 Laine 5v5 goal differential: +18 (best in team, Scheif 2nd with +13)

After those two season, 2018-2019 I think he was leading the league in goals scored after his historic November. After that it seems that basically everything has turned to crap in the Jets/Laine relationship, at least if you listen to rumors and read the forum... Also you gotta remember these comments about not getting to play 1st line were made after those 16-17 and 17-18 seasons, which were pretty damn impressive seasons and he was facing contract year. Then after that November 2018 he's still playing 2nd line? Btw. I completely agree his comments lacked tact, but also that reporter is a known Little hater and took every opportunity to run with his narrative and get the most out of them. But also I think it's dishonest to compare how Wheeler "does anything asked for the team" while he's an old vet and captin who has already had his big payday in a pricy long term deal vs. Laine who was/is a young player playing for contract. The Jets have created that situation themselves.

In my opinion the take away here shouldn't be that Laine is an entitled brat (hey, I admit he might be, though he doesn't come off like that to me), but that during 18-19 everybody should have been asking "Why is this guy who outscores opposition 2nd best in the team* and has scored most goals in the league second to Ovechkin only* asked to change how he plays the game?"
* combined stats from 16-17 & 17-18 seasons

I mean yeah, I think his overall game took steps forward in 19-20, but you gotta remember it was his 21 year old season, so he's bound to take steps forward basically just by sitting on the coach (EDIT: meant couch of course but maybe coach has more depth to it :P) and playing Xbox because of maturing physically (well ok maybe not quite, but you get the point...) - I'm questioning if there exists a parallel universe where Maurice didn't get a power forward boner and what kind of improvements Laine's overall game might have taken there - or not - and if he would've kept his goal scoring. The fact remains the "one dimensional" teenager Laine was outscoring opponent by a good margin and had awesome WAR & GAR stats, and probably was a more effective hockey player overall than even the 19-20 Laine who is "rounding out" and "improving his overall game".

Laine is not perfect, he seems a temperemental guy with high highs and low lows, but that said, management and/or leadership has done a horrible job if they run him out of town.

Honestly I don't know how many times I've written out these things, probably as many times as I've read how horrible player Laine was 5v5 early on. Imagine if there was a book of Laine threads since he was drafted. You'd want to beat your head into a pulp against a wall by the time you get to christmas 2016. But when you space it all out like this, you get relatively sane people writing the same stuff over and over again.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Fire Maurice for all I care, it likely changes little if anything when it comes to the Laine situation. He is an average coach, replace him with another average or above average coach and the final result is still likely the same.

Whataboutism in this Laine thing about Maurice/Wheeler/Connor/Scheifele is just a huge distraction. He simply hasn't come anyway near close to being able to handle tough top line minutes. The crux of the issue is that Laine wants to be paid like Matthews/Marner when he can't drive like those guys. That doesn't make him useless but that makes him a 8.5 million player not a 10million+ player who can be thrown on a line with OK but not elite players and still drive great results.

That's what arbitration is for.

Laine is not getting a penny over 8.5 million if he goes to arbitration.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Because Maurice has overstayed his welcome with the team and it time for somebody new to develop our players with a new system that is not stale.

Teams do not keep coaches around as long as Maurice has been here for a reason.

You think Trotz is going to play Laine any better? Babcock? Gallant? Quenneville? Pretty much every single one of those guys plays an even tougher and more strict defensive scheme than Maurice. Shit Cooper basically kicked Drouin off the team for wanting a bigger role and Tortz basically forced CBJ to trade Johansen because he didn't take training seriously. Laine has been spoon fed opportunity under Maurice.

Reactions: Roughneck1

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
You think Trotz is going to play Laine any better? Babcock? Gallant? Quenneville? Pretty much every single one of those guys plays an even tougher and more strict defensive scheme than Maurice. Shit Cooper basically kicked Drouin off the team for wanting a bigger role and Tortz basically forced CBJ to trade Johansen because he didn't take training seriously. Laine has been spoon fed opportunity under Maurice.

We don't know until we try.

Maurice is just not the answer here anymore.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
List of active Jets who have scored over 40 goals in a season:
Laine

List of active Jets who have finished top 10 for Rocket:
Laine (2nd 17-18, 7th 16-17)
Connor (6th
19-20)

Connor probably would've scored 40 this season if it was full 82 games, he was almost 100% lock for that. Then again, scoring is up by a lot compared to 17-18 or 16-17 and Laine was 18 & 19 years old during those seasons.

2016-2017 Laine 5v5 goal differential: +7 (2nd best behind Scheif, who was +13)
2017-2018 Laine 5v5 goal differential: +18 (best in team, Scheif 2nd with +13)

After those two season, 2018-2019 I think he was leading the league in goals scored after his historic November. After that it seems that basically everything has turned to crap in the Jets/Laine relationship, at least if you listen to rumors and read the forum... Also you gotta remember these comments about not getting to play 1st line were made after those 16-17 and 17-18 seasons, which were pretty damn impressive seasons and he was facing contract year. Then after that November 2018 he's still playing 2nd line? Btw. I completely agree his comments lacked tact, but also that reporter is a known Little hater and took every opportunity to run with his narrative and get the most out of them. But also I think it's dishonest to compare how Wheeler "does anything asked for the team" while he's an old vet and captin who has already had his big payday in a pricy long term deal vs. Laine who was/is a young player playing for contract. The Jets have created that situation themselves.

In my opinion the take away here shouldn't be that Laine is an entitled brat (hey, I admit he might be, though he doesn't come off like that to me), but that during 18-19 everybody should have been asking "Why is this guy who outscores opposition 2nd best in the team* and has scored most goals in the league second to Ovechkin only* asked to change how he plays the game?"
* combined stats from 16-17 & 17-18 seasons

I mean yeah, I think his overall game took steps forward in 19-20, but you gotta remember it was his 21 year old season, so he's bound to take steps forward basically just by sitting on the coach (EDIT: meant couch of course but maybe coach has more depth to it :P) and playing Xbox because of maturing physically (well ok maybe not quite, but you get the point...) - I'm questioning if there exists a parallel universe where Maurice didn't get a power forward boner and what kind of improvements Laine's overall game might have taken there - or not - and if he would've kept his goal scoring. The fact remains the "one dimensional" teenager Laine was outscoring opponent by a good margin and had awesome WAR & GAR stats, and probably was a more effective hockey player overall than even the 19-20 Laine who is "rounding out" and "improving his overall game".

Laine is not perfect, he seems a temperemental guy with high highs and low lows, but that said, management and/or leadership has done a horrible job if they run him out of town.

Honestly I don't know how many times I've written out these things, probably as many times as I've read how horrible player Laine was 5v5 early on. Imagine if there was a book of Laine threads since he was drafted. You'd want to beat your head into a pulp against a wall by the time you get to christmas 2016. But when you space it all out like this, you get relatively sane people writing the same stuff over and over again.

Wheeler paid his dues to get that contract. The upside for paying a player for what he has done is you are rewarding someone for going to battle for your team. The downside to paying a player for what he might be is you wast money on absolutely nothing, not even memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad