Player Discussion: Laine (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
That’s not scheifele stating it, that seems more like Sean Reynolds assuming a rumor Edmunds started a couple years back is true.

It wouldn’t surprise me if that was true, but as far as I know it has never publicly been said.
It’s been stated by other posters as well.
Just a double standard here that’s all.
I don’t think Sean would say it out loud unless he knew it was said.
Career suicide otherwise.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
This year Laine was only behind kane in ev+pp toi. Yet there's still moans and groans about top line mins

I know, :)

I have not moan and groan this year :) with the usage.

Lets hope with Laine already having a head start in training.
He will grow more.

The better he becomes the better for the Jets.
He is one player thar has the capacity to carry a team based on previous league he played into.

Right now he is not that yet.
NHL is the toughest league, so its taking him longer.
But my bet is he will get there in the next couple of years...

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I don’t think Laine moans and groans about top line mins if he’s not put on a line with Eakin at the end of the season.

I think Laine just sees what his captain got by moaning and groaning to be back at wing with his boy Scheifele. Works for him, maybe it will work for me.

And by getting Stastny back, maybe it did to a degree.

You and I really have no idea if Wheels drove that decision - for all we really know, it was Scheif who many might say, is the star on this team that will sway decision making if he states his preferences. Does he have that right? Probably shouldn't but when it impacts his game and the way he plays it, he has a right to voice it.

Scheif wants to play with Wheels and KC for one important reason only - they play a similar game to his own. Both Wheels and Scheif are at a point in their career where they have pretty much established their game style and making changes at this point is unlikely.

So, the org has an obvious decision to make - do we support the number one C or do we support the fan favorite high scoring winger?
Based on the minutes Laine is getting plus his PP time, he shouldn't really have an issue with minutes. It sounds like he wants to play with Scheif and KC (or Ehlers).

I wouldn't be surprised if that has now changed.

So, another possible scenario aside from Wheels being the bad guy:

He knows that Scheif prefers Wheels over him as a winger - I think we assume this at this point. You might also assume that his major reason for wanting out might be based on Scheif's reaction to playing with him. He may in fact see Scheif as the obstacle in his path and not coaching, management, or the captain. If he's smart, and I think he is, he will conclude that he is now in a battle with the number one center and will likely lose - especially when you consider our depth at c and wing. I can see him wanting out for that reason alone.

I think the org was hoping the Stastny sighing would be enough to make him happy - looks like it's not and some of this may now come down to just how unhappy the guy is. And I don't mean that in a pouty way - he may now recognize that this teams #1 center would rather not support him in his quest to be the best.

I think Chevy has to move him based on skilled center vs skilled winger head count alone.

Too far out there? Just running it up the pole guys.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
You and I really have no idea if Wheels drove that decision - for all we really know, it was Scheif who many might say, is the star on this team that will sway decision making if he states his preferences. Does he have that right? Probably shouldn't but when it impacts his game and the way he plays it, he has a right to voice it.

Scheif wants to play with Wheels and KC for one important reason only - they play a similar game to his own. Both Wheels and Scheif are at a point in their career where they have pretty much established their game style and making changes at this point is unlikely.

So, the org has an obvious decision to make - do we support the number one C or do we support the fan favorite high scoring winger?
Based on the minutes Laine is getting plus his PP time, he shouldn't really have an issue with minutes. It sounds like he wants to play with Scheif and KC (or Ehlers).

He knows that Scheif prefers Wheels over him as a winger - I think we assume this at this point. You might also assume that his major reason for wanting out might be based on Scheif's reaction to playing with him. He may in fact see Scheif as the obstacle in his path and not coaching, management, or the captain. If he's smart, and I think he is, he will conclude that he is now in a battle with the number one center and will likely lose - especially when you consider our depth at c and wing. I can see him wanting out for that reason alone.

I think the org was hoping the Stastny sighing would be enough to make him happy - looks like it's not and some of this may now come down to just how unhappy the guy is. And I don't mean that in a pouty way - he may now recognize that this teams #1 center would rather not support him in his quest to be the best.

I think Chevy has to move him based on skilled center vs skilled winger head count alone.

Nobody is the bad guy here.
Perhaps the coaching isn’t working?
Let’s see how this plays out.
We need players with a competitive fire.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

I'm getting tired of this drama. I rather feel that the media just has no other dead horse to beat so they keep on fueling the flames on this one. Is there something there? Perhaps.

Ultimately this boils down to the organization rather than Laine or Scheifele or Wheeler. If this was grade 10 freshman hockey and one guy could win the championship on his play alone then fine, cater to the superstar (although most of the parents are going to think the coach is a dick). But honestly, if we're objective the Jets haven't been a very good team in 3 years, for a variety of valid reasons. But they're not going to win a darn thing if decisions are being made to cater to X (pick your poison here). It's a frickin' team game and we've proven very clearly you aren't winning by exhausting your first line throughout the season. More importantly if Laine or Scheifele or Wheeler are making other players uncomfortable get rid of the cancer, whoever it is, whatever position they play. But I'll tell ya, I'm going to be pretty annoyed if we lose some high level talent and just continue to be below league average.

I'm really starting to believe the problem lies with the organization and at a level above the players. Be it Chevy/Maurice/Chipman they don't seem to be able to manage their players very satisfactorily. At least not in the sense of developing a winning room. There should never be a need to bring in a 'great in the room guy', he should already be there wearing a C or an A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad