Speculation: Laine/Ehlers Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Not saying Florida will add anything to this deal. I think it’s more likely they walk away when Winnipeg insists on an add.

But the Jets don’t really have any reason to trade Laine unless it’s an overpay which this is not.

Let me guess, the smoke around his availability is just to give the media something to talk about.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Let me guess, the smoke around his availability is just to give the media something to talk about.
It sure seems that way. The Jets aren’t really in a position to sell low on Laine right now. Now, this trade is definitely not selling him low but I think it’s something Winnipeg would pass on.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Or, we re-sign Hoffman (preferably) or Dadonov and keep Ek.

while I’d love to have Laine alongside Barkov, trading Ek for him makes no sense.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
It's bad both years outside an increase in Exp GF%, look below.
Laine has become a better playmaker at least.

This trade makes FLA way worse defensively when 5 on 5, Ekblad and Weegar were the only true bright spots on the highest paid D in the league.
People keep sleeping on Ekblad, reciting his concussion history (been 3 years) or his average defense when the stats show he's one of the better defenders in the league and was 3rd this year in even strength points among all defensemen.
Laine is a great sniper but we can simply re-sign Hoffman and bring in Tippett, those two combined should net us 40-50 goals going forward and cost less than Laine's new deal.

View attachment 368363
Wow what a theory. Turns out Jets dont need a 2nd line center...they can just sign a guy like Hoffman as a ufa and bring vesalinen up from the AHL and those two can score the same amount of goals as an expensive 2C does, or maybe more than Schiefele.... Time to get Chevy on the phone and let him know this strategy. He will likely send me a big check for all the money I saved him.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
If Ekblad is on the market, teams will line up with better offers than Patrick Laine.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
If Ekblad is on the market, teams will line up with better offers than Patrick Laine.
I just checked and he didnt win the Norris this year. He did get four 4th place votes 4 years ago though. I wonder what all the guys on the list ahead of him would demand. Crosby for Ghost?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Wow what a theory. Turns out Jets dont need a 2nd line center...they can just sign a guy like Hoffman as a ufa and bring vesalinen up from the AHL and those two can score the same amount of goals as an expensive 2C does, or maybe more than Schiefele.... Time to get Chevy on the phone and let him know this strategy. He will likely send me a big check for all the money I saved him.

Seems nobody wants to stay there as 2C though. Stastny or Hayes.
You act like cap space isn't a thing.
Some other team can pay him $9~ million or more a year for 36~ goals and 65~ pts and unload their #1 D for him.

Reactions: Laus723

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Some other team can pay him $9~ million or more a year for 36~ goals and 65~ pts and unload their #1 D for him.
Yeah, the answer is just like every Ekblad trade offer: no trade. It doesn't make us better today or tomorrow.

Apart from ridiculous overpayments in 1-1, such as Hedman or McDavid for Ek, I think the only trade I would do is like Pullock and Pellech and some cap space with Stralman/Yandle (retain like 1M) for Ekblad contingent on reasonable contracts for them.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
Luckily for the Jets, goals are how you measure wins and losses, so there is no problem paying for quality and keeping him. There are a lot stupider ideas then spending money on a 22 year old elite goal scorer....lets say like paying 10 mill for a 32 year old .901 goalie, not to mention that is only until he is 39. Nice retirement package.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Luckily for the Jets, goals are how you measure wins and losses, so there is no problem paying for quality and keeping him. There are a lot stupider ideas then spending money on a 22 year old elite goal scorer....lets say like paying 10 mill for a 32 year old .901 goalie, not to mention that is only until he is 39. Nice retirement package.

And yet FLA still had a better point % than WPG with Bob in net for 50/69 games and also outscored them (6th in league) vs WPG being 17th ranked. Ouch!

Hoping Laine will push hard for $10 mil, he deserves it.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Glad that you're doing so well. No need to be defensive. (I'm a former Thrashers fan so I have some choice comments to make about your team, but I don't )

We all think Laine is great, but we like Ekblad more :) The stupid idea for us to move our best defenseman who is signed long-term, exploded this year, and seems happy here to strengthen our strength.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Even Eckblad won't help the Jets defensively with Maurice and Huddy running the show. Only a Vezina goaltender can do that......oh wait that didn't work either.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
And yet FLA still had a better point % than WPG with Bob in net for 50/69 games and also outscored them (6th in league) vs WPG being 17th ranked. Ouch!
Ya playing in a division where you play the wings, senators, Sabres and Canadiens every second game is a real grind...but i guess you need any little thing to grasp on to when you got nothing.
Hoping Laine will push hard for $10 mil, he deserves it.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The Jets are drafting top ten...

At a glance I dislike it...how's Ekblad's concussions these days? Looks like he's been healthy lately?

he's played 6 seasons.

5 full seasons. he's missed games on concussion 3 years ago. he's played 3 straight seasons without a missing a game.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I just checked and he didnt win the Norris this year. He did get four 4th place votes 4 years ago though. I wonder what all the guys on the list ahead of him would demand. Crosby for Ghost?
Who said anything about a Norris?

Sorry a 35 goal 70 point forward who is RFA in a year is not going to return a young 40 point#1D on a solid deal for 5 more years.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
First off I'm a neutral fan, so I don't have a horse in this race.
I think this is a good basis of a trade for each team, maybe there's a couple picks going either way, Let me know what you think.

Florida is going to lose Hoffman and Dadanov
From their top 6 forward core, and their defense is pretty average, but expensive.
Jets have 2 NHL defencemen and desperately need help, if it wasn't for Hellebuyck having a vezina season, the jets are drafting top 10.
With all that being said does a 1 for 1 hockey trade work?

Jets: Ekblad
Florida: Laine

Jets: Ekblad

We are drafting top 10...

Ekblad would be a great fit, but I'm looking for more. I don't know Florida's prospect pool at all, but I'd want a pretty decent forward prospect and a mid-rounder on top of Ekblad. Ot maybe a 1st instead.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Ekblad would be a great fit, but I'm looking for more. I don't know Florida's prospect pool at all, but I'd want a pretty decent forward prospect and a mid-rounder on top of Ekblad. Ot maybe a 1st instead.

Its always good to dream BIG.

Ekblad + Tippett/Denisenko/12th overall for Laine, that's what youre looking for?

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Its always good to dream BIG.

Ekblad + Tippett/Denisenko/12th overall for Laine, that's what youre looking for?
That might not be a good deal for Florida but yeah, that's probably pretty close to what he gets.

I get it 100% that you're in no position to give up Ekblad unless you're committing to a full rebuild, but Laine turned 22 after the season was scheduled to end and at the time of the shutdown, he was 7th all-time in career goals by a 21 year-old. If the season had carried on, it would have been reasonable to expect him to catch Mario Lemieux for 5th. Oh yeah, and now he plays defense and his hits are getting harder. To put it in perspective how impressive his career trajectory has been so far, consider he's the same age as ROTY Makar, but he's already played 4 full seasons.

We're talking about a very expensive player to acquire. I'm confident that whichever team makes a move for Laine, the fans are going to HATE the price. But not for very long.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
I under

I understand where you're coming from to want more, but Laine is a winger, ( who hold less value than a center or top pairing Dman)
Ekblad is a top paring dman and signed to a decent contract, whereas Laine will need a significant raise soon after his bridge deal is up which should also be taken into consideration
Edit: Too bad florida didn't still have Trocheck he would have been an ideal fit for the jets second line C, that would have made sense then to start adding other pieces to the trade

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Let this threat die: we're now at the fifth stage of any Panthers trade thread:
(1) Proposal probably undervaluing player due to some misconception
(2) Panthers fan note that it is not true and bad value
(3) Response: Yes it is by fans wanting a steal
(4) Next step: rational fans recognize trade just does not make sense for Florida and reasonable trade for both sides can't work
(5) Let's make trade proposal (1) worse because our market is not big.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'd jump on that the moment its agreed too. I just don't see why Florida moves it's best defencemen without much behind him. For the Jets it makes the team better so I'd take it.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
That might not be a good deal for Florida but yeah, that's probably pretty close to what he gets.

I get it 100% that you're in no position to give up Ekblad unless you're committing to a full rebuild, but Laine turned 22 after the season was scheduled to end and at the time of the shutdown, he was 7th all-time in career goals by a 21 year-old. If the season had carried on, it would have been reasonable to expect him to catch Mario Lemieux for 5th. Oh yeah, and now he plays defense and his hits are getting harder. To put it in perspective how impressive his career trajectory has been so far, consider he's the same age as ROTY Makar, but he's already played 4 full seasons.

We're talking about a very expensive player to acquire. I'm confident that whichever team makes a move for Laine, the fans are going to HATE the price. But not for very long.

You can see Laines defense on page 2 of this thread.
Laine won't be leaving WPG for that price tag, WPG fans don't have to worry about that, no GM would pay that.
Will be curious to see what kind of deal he signs end of next year though.

Almost feel like putting up a poll to see who values a 37~ goal, 66~ pt winger over a top pairing RD more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad