Post-Game Talk: Laine 3 New York Rangers 0. Yay!

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
Kudos to Buff Chariot PMo Laine and Mason, all doing very well regardless of my opinions.

New Line-up

Perreault Little Wheeler
Ehlers Stats Laine
Connor Copp Tanev
Hendricks Roslo Armia

Like Roslo at centre as a prelude to needing him there.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg

This is the most interesting interview I've heard in a long time.

After watching the video in the Laine thread about the differences in shots between Laine and Mathews (I watched mainly to just see the break down of Laine's shot) I've been watching Laine's left foot when he shoots.

In the video it describes how him using the C cut instead of a lunge to allow him greater freedom in shot location selection....

Then I watch Laine's first goal and his left leg is up in the air and out to the side.... What the f***?

Unreal. Now I have to find replays and slow it all down to look at his hands too.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Kudos to Buff Chariot PMo Laine and Mason, all doing very well regardless of my opinions.

New Line-up

Perreault Little Wheeler
Ehlers Stats Laine
Connor Copp Tanev
Hendricks Roslo Armia

Like Roslo at centre as a prelude to needing him there.

Judging by Moe's past comments they will not be using Roslo as a C at all this year. Probably won't try him there for a year or two. Like it or hate it. I actually wouldn't be shocked if PoMo used Petan as a C before Roslo come playoff time if we are short a C.

I get the feeling PoMo is fine with his center depth this year even missing Chef.

I wouldn't be shocked if PoMo gave Lowsy a chance in between Wheels and Connor when he is healthy.

Goes into his "less moving parts" philosophy when it comes to bringing players into the lineup.

I also think if Lowsy is healthy he might look pretty good between Connor and Wheels

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
Whenever Amish Paradise scores I yell so loud my fiance has to come down stairs to make sure I'm alright, don't get me wrong I love it when any other Jet scores but for some reason Liane's goals never cease to add a little more excitement. Man I love this team. Mason with a solid game, this is gonna help with his confidence especially down the stretch when we need to give Helley a break. Hope Shiefs is alright. Also been very impressed with Chiarot as of late, guy has been quietly solid.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I think we can all agree Scheifele needs new blades and he needs to become more aware of were his is on the ice especially when teams are targeting him.
There is something wrong with him. Not sure whats going on, but it started before the first injury. Hope he gets his head on straight.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
There is something wrong with him. Not sure whats going on, but it started before the first injury. Hope he gets his head on straight.

When a player doesn't score for a couple of games it doesn't mean there is something wrong with him.

He looked fine when he came back and after watching the replay of the Wheeler hit on Chef i believe there is a chance it isn't the same injury.

What does any of this have to do with his head being strait though?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
If Scheifele is out for any games I really would like to see Little jump up with Wheels to see if we can get him going. Pull up Copp with Roslo and Perreault. It is a good chance to try and get something going aside from just Laine and his line. But clearly that wont happen we will move Wheels to centre, and line 1 will be a defensive liability, and the Little line will remain cold offensive wise
I like that suggestion. It would really be worth a try.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Jets don't even have Trouba or Lowry.

Stastny has been awesome for Laine and Ehlers. I don't think they're even fully acclimated yet and it already excellent and is generating. Laine has been shooting so good (possible already direct result of Stastny ? More likely Laine just being in the zone) but I think we'll see them gel even more. I don't mind Laine scoring all the goals but I think they're just getting started in terms of passing / plays.

Buff has been exceptional. Always good and underrated IMO, with tendency to make the his mistakes quite obvious, I think this is best he's played in a while.

Mason surprised me - I had this pegged as a loss when I found out he was starting. Awesome for proving me wrong.

I love watching Laine score as much as the next guy but Jets do eventually need more balanced scoring (i think a bit of a mini slump for other lines more than any real problem)

REALLY hope Scheifele comes back soon.

Fun game besides Scheifele being out.

Poor Zucarello was having no luck last night. Could have had 1 or 2 easily but just wasn't gonna happen.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

I agree with you and some others who have said that he looked off before his first injury. I'm sure we could find a few of us questioning if something was wrong with him. He started the year with as much energy and grit as anyone in the game. He looked like a beast out there. Then he started coasting and doing drive by's, not engaging as much and actually giving up on pucks.

Something is definitely wrong. I want our Schiefele back!

thejaf7

Mar 21, 2010
Are you serious ? Or did you forget the :sarcasm: Helly isn't just the Jets best goalie , he is one of the best in the NHL . Good game by Mason and I'm happy he played very good but that Rangers team isn't very good .

Yeah I forgot to add the :sarcasm:

Or did I? :naughty:

Reactions: Jets 31

Sammy225

Aug 9, 2011
Hope Mase can be solid down the stretch. Would be nice to have Helly fresh as a Daisy for a long playoff run.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
The Doors, The Clash, etc.. Its a wide swath of the eclectic. New York has had well thought-out tunes for many years. The Bell/MTS staff need to step up their game.

Totally agree. I think it was pretty obvious if enough of us noticed during a telecast.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I thought Scheifele looked fine after his last injury until tonight. Not sure what other people are talking about really. 13 points in 11 games.

Yeah, after the rust came off he's looked strong. Whatever his injury might be, I don't think it has anything to do with his head, his lack of defensive awareness, effort levels or desire to cheat for points, as has been suggested here over the past few games.

Nice to see Laine get his hatty (finally), but I thought the more telling play of his was when he whiffed on the shot, then hared back to break up a play in our zone, finally pinning his man to the boards and freeing the puck up. It's a play he might have given up on earlier this year -- partly perhaps because he was annoyed at blowing a shooting chance -- but not now. You could almost see Howie Meeker adding the extra 10% to the effort level counter. That's a playoff-type play, and a sign of a maturing player, IMO.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
PoMo leaving Laine out there for the final 35 should really rid anyone of the notion he's being held back. Only guy from the previous shift to stay out I believe.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
I agree with you and some others who have said that he looked off before his first injury. I'm sure we could find a few of us questioning if something was wrong with him. He started the year with as much energy and grit as anyone in the game. He looked like a beast out there. Then he started coasting and doing drive by's, not engaging as much and actually giving up on pucks.

I thought he looked like a Top 5 player in the league (never mind Centres) up until just before he got hurt the first time. He was dominant in all facets.

Since he’s been back he’s been ok up until last night’s injury, but you’d be in tough calling him a Top 15 Centre.

Guess all I am saying is he was brilliant up to a week or two before his first injury and “not horrible” since he’s been back, but not where he was.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015

I believe that much of what you are observing is because Scheif has fundamentally made adjustments to the way that he wants to play the game - with the change becoming noticeable shortly after he returned from the World Cup last year. I believe that he watched/ played with other elite offensive centers, and decided that upon return he should play more of a "finisher" role, and rely more on his teammates to "retrieve pucks" and do the heavy lifting in the corners and behind the net. He therefore now positions himself differently - breaking off from cycles more quickly for the passout opportunity and genereally playing higherup than he did before. Unfortunately, few of the offensively elite centers he watched so carefully and now emulates had a commitment to strong defensive play when without the puck, especially in the defensive zone, and Scheif has followed suit.

This may expain why he likes playing with Wheeler so much this year as opposed to our younguns late last year.

Reactions: RRenegade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad