Post-Game Talk: Laine 3 New York Rangers 0. Yay!

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Buff stepping up at the blue line on the eventual Laine goal was a classic case of risk/reward Buff. He misses it, he gets roasted, he wins it, he gets toasted.
That play is a huge part of what makes Buff and a big part of the Jets.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Ehlers has a very good game along the boards. He won a lot of battles and dug out a lot of pucks. He was real good in his own zone.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Ehlers has a very good game along the boards. He won a lot of battles and dug out a lot of pucks. He was real good in his own zone.
Agreed but he was a little loose at times near the Rangers blue line, failed to get the puck deep when he should have a bunch of times and turned it over a few other times with his teammates going deep in the zone. He was responsible for at least two odd man rushes for the Rangers. He was better in the 3rd though.

Insthofen

Dec 2, 2016
I love Stastny. The way he blocks the defender in the first goal after passing the puck to Pate, supersmart but not easy to see. He does lots of good invisible stuff, not much flashy moves. Great fit to Jets and those young wingers.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I love Stastny. The way he blocks the defender in the first goal after passing the puck to Pate, supersmart but not easy to see. He does lots of good invisible stuff, not much flashy moves. Great fit to Jets and those young wingers.
That was such a veteran play, complete interference by Stastny but totally made it look like he was just trying to drive to the net.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hopefully he will sign for under 3 mil or just slightly over. Otherwise, we will have to see what those other 25 teams are willing to part with.

Don't think you have to worry about Armia approaching the 3 mil mark. He will sign for much closer to 2 mil.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Not a great third but a good overall road win. Myers with a bounce back game. Hope Scheif is okay. Buff playing outstanding hockey for the past few weeks along with Stastny and Hattrick Laine.

BTW, where are the Mason haters now? Hope he starts for the Washington game next week.

1> Not a Mason hater
2> Good game for being out for so long, but make no mistake it could have went the other way pretty easily - the Rags missed some grade A chances and Mase had some luck
3> A lot of Mason critics (like myself) don't deny the guy has skills and can play extremely well, I think most are concerned by how up and down he is. He's never really been a consistent goaltender.

No matter, if he can start some games down the stretch that should get Hellebuyck rested enough to play every game in the playoffs.

I really haven't liked the Jets game much the past 4 or so - but with this much talent you can play meh and still rack up the wins. What a difference from season's past!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Kudos to Buff Chariot PMo Laine and Mason, all doing very well regardless of my opinions.

New Line-up

Perreault Little Wheeler
Ehlers Stats Laine
Connor Copp Tanev
Hendricks Roslo Armia

Like Roslo at centre as a prelude to needing him there.

That's not a bad lineup but you and I both know it isn't what PMo is going to do.
I was thinking:
Pereault Little Wheeler
Ehlers Stats Laine
Connor Copp Roslovic
Tanev Hendricks Armia
But that won't happen either.

Wheeler will be back at 1C. The RW's will be shuffled and Tanev will be back in.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Agreed but he was a little loose at times near the Rangers blue line, failed to get the puck deep when he should have a bunch of times and turned it over a few other times with his teammates going deep in the zone. He was responsible for at least two odd man rushes for the Rangers. He was better in the 3rd though.

I noticed that too. Baby steps ;)

Reactions: Ducky10

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Remember how many points Copp got when he was in the top 6 and not even that was good enough long term.

Sure, and Copp looked outa place in his first 6 mins of playing in a top 6.

Not saying Armia is a top 6, or can cover it for a few months, but neither you or I can assess that in 6minutes

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Honestly, I thought he was comical at times. My goodness his reads are so slow, it's really been exposed during Trouba's absence.

I've been a big supporter of Myers, but lately I find myself yelling at the tv because he is incredibly slow to retrieve a puck and make a play. Painfully slow. So slow that even I have time to yell at him :)

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I thought he looked like a Top 5 player in the league (never mind Centres) up until just before he got hurt the first time. He was dominant in all facets.

Since he’s been back he’s been ok up until last night’s injury, but you’d be in tough calling him a Top 15 Centre.

Guess all I am saying is he was brilliant up to a week or two before his first injury and “not horrible” since he’s been back, but not where he was.

This matches what I've seen as well.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I believe that much of what you are observing is because Scheif has fundamentally made adjustments to the way that he wants to play the game - with the change becoming noticeable shortly after he returned from the World Cup last year. I believe that he watched/ played with other elite offensive centers, and decided that upon return he should play more of a "finisher" role, and rely more on his teammates to "retrieve pucks" and do the heavy lifting in the corners and behind the net. He therefore now positions himself differently - breaking off from cycles more quickly for the passout opportunity and genereally playing higherup than he did before. Unfortunately, few of the offensively elite centers he watched so carefully and now emulates had a commitment to strong defensive play when without the puck, especially in the defensive zone, and Scheif has followed suit.

This may expain why he likes playing with Wheeler so much this year as opposed to our younguns late last year.

Could be, I honestly wouldn't know. I only report what I see. If he's refining his game then good for him. I know he's constantly trying to improve.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Buff stepping up at the blue line on the eventual Laine goal was a classic case of risk/reward Buff. He misses it, he gets roasted, he wins it, he gets toasted.
That play is a huge part of what makes Buff and a big part of the Jets.
I think the difference is, he is not doing it nearly as much, and he is assessing the risk much better (meaning he's not going for the 10% pinches anymore).

I am not against an aggressive defenseman pinching as long as its not with wanton disregard for his half of the ice, and his main responsibility as a hockey player.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I've been a big supporter of Myers, but lately I find myself yelling at the tv because he is incredibly slow to retrieve a puck and make a play. Painfully slow. So slow that even I have time to yell at him :)
There was one play in the third where he got the puck in the corner, turned to face the play, and then just stood there and let (Zuccarello?) just come to him and check him.

To me it looks like his confidence is really low - paralysis by analysis. I like Myers too but he needs to snap out of it - he's going to be important in the playoffs.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I think the difference is, he is not doing it nearly as much, and he is assessing the risk much better (meaning he's not going for the 10% pinches anymore).

I am not against an aggressive defenseman pinching as long as its not with wanton disregard for his half of the ice, and his main responsibility as a hockey player.
Finally trusting your teammates will be in the right place to back you up helps too.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ and Jet

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
That one play(2nd period i think) where he had the puck in our corner all alone for an hour seemingly and a Ranger starts to close on him and he loses it just exemplifies the unplugged controller comparison. I love that description it really is quite apt for a few guys in the league. Tyler also did some good things last night too.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
That one play(2nd period i think) where he had the puck in our corner all alone for an hour seemingly and a Ranger starts to close on him and he loses it just exemplifies the unplugged controller comparison. I love that description it really is quite apt for a few guys in the league. Tyler also did some good things last night too.
Lol, I was going to mention that play as well. Just like when the joystick on your controller jams and you can't move your guy. I was literally laughing at that play and muttering wtf Myers?

Reactions: Robinson2187

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Lol, I was going to mention that play as well. Just like when the joystick on your controller jams and you can't move your guy. I was literally laughing at that play and muttering wtf Myers?

Maybe Maurice dishes out ice time based on winning board balttes, so Myers thought he needed to get in an extra one there ;)

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Honestly, I thought he was comical at times. My goodness his reads are so slow, it's really been exposed during Trouba's absence.
I agree , there was one play where Myers had the puck in our far corner with tones of time and space and he waited till a Rangers forward trapped him in the corner before he even tried to move the puck . Brain farts all the time with him . :shakehead

Reactions: Ducky10

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I agree , there was one play where Myers had the puck in our far corner with tones of time and space and he waited till a Rangers forward trapped him in the corner before he even tried to move the puck . Brain farts all the time with him . :shakehead

That's the play we've been discussing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad