Ladd (36% retained), Harrison, Fraser to CHI for Marko Dano, '16 1st, conditional 3rd

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I think he showed flashes of 2nd line talent in Wpg. last year too but with Wheeler and Ehlers in the top 6 I see Dano as our 3RW going forward. He could move to the left side but he hasn't done well there in the past and then he is behind Laine and Connor. So still 3rd line. Great if he is a good 3RW who can move up.

That makes Armia the 4th RW. He has been more successful moving to the left side so maybe he plays 3LW but there will be competition there too. I'm thinking Nic Petan wins that spot once Laine and Connor move up to top 6. Again, great to have a winger who can move up and Armia can do it on either wing.

That's my assessment of the likely usage of these 2 players. So I don't see how we could justify losing Myers in order to keep either one of them and at the extreme I would let them both go rather than lose Myers (purely hypothetical since there is no threat of that). Much easier to replace them than him. In fact we could do it in house at the drop of a hat.

I think you are a lot higher on Myers than i am. He is only a top 4 D because he's had Toby Enstrom stuck to his hip.
His numbers are not very flattering.

Besides Morrissey

We also have Postma who is quite possibly more effective than Myers if he was given the same opportunity.

Niku, Kostalek, Poolman and Kitchon.

Everyone fell in love with Myers after he went on a tear when he was traded here.... He is a sufficient 2nd pair Defenseman and that is all he will ever be. Once again best years were 7 and 8 years ago already.

Meanwhile Dano and Armia both have an upside.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think you are a lot higher on Myers than i am. He is only a top 4 D because he's had Toby Enstrom stuck to his hip.

Besides Morrissey

We also have Postma who is quite possibly more effective than Myers if he was given the same opportunity.

Everyone fell in love with Myers after he went on a tear when he was traded here.... He is a sufficient 2nd pair Defenseman and that is all he will ever be. Once again best years were 7 and 8 years ago already.

Strongly disagree about Myers. I don't know which numbers you think are not very flattering. His Warrior Chart is within a hair of matching the Great Hamonic.

I count Postma as 1/2 of our 3rd pair, with Chiarot. That leaves Morrissey as a prospect. Niku has to progress some to become a prospect. Kostalek failed to impress this year though he still has time to improve. Poolman probably never signs with us and Kichton does not look like an NHL player. None of that is written in stone but after Morrissey our best 'prospect' is Melchiori who you didn't even mention. If Morrissey makes it this year that pushes Chiarot to the PB with Stu. :)

Yes Dano and Armia have an upside but it is not top 6 on the Jets, at least not until Wheeler is gone. They would have to hit their ceilings to match Myers.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Strongly disagree about Myers. I don't know which numbers you think are not very flattering. His Warrior Chart is within a hair of matching the Great Hamonic.

I count Postma as 1/2 of our 3rd pair, with Chiarot. That leaves Morrissey as a prospect. Niku has to progress some to become a prospect. Kostalek failed to impress this year though he still has time to improve. Poolman probably never signs with us and Kichton does not look like an NHL player. None of that is written in stone but after Morrissey our best 'prospect' is Melchiori who you didn't even mention. If Morrissey makes it this year that pushes Chiarot to the PB with Stu. :)

Yes Dano and Armia have an upside but it is not top 6 on the Jets, at least not until Wheeler is gone. They would have to hit their ceilings to match Myers.

Melchiori is garbage in the AHL and is 24. Every other d man in our system probably has a better chance of making it than him. Kostelek performed significantly better and is only 21. Kichton isn't good, but at least he has some offense.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Melchiori is garbage in the AHL and is 24. Every other d man in our system probably has a better chance of making it than him. Kostelek performed significantly better and is only 21. Kichton isn't good, but at least he has some offense.

I think you are exaggerating about Melchiori but that he is not really much of a prospect was the point. Melchiori was called up last season, not Kichton and for good reason. Kichton might have some offense in the A but no guarantee he will have any at all in the NHL. Guaranteed he will have no defense though. Kostalek has potential but is still far from looking like an NHL player.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Besides Morrissey

I think Postma hasn't had a great opportunity, but personally I don't see him nearly as good as Myers.

As for the other 4:

Niku: Liked him in rookie camp, but how far away is he from the NHL, if he even "makes" the NHL?

Kostalek: Looked ok to me on the Moose, but seems a ways away from the NHL, and even then in a depth role IMO.

Poolman: May not even sign with us, and unknown what level he can play at in the NHL.

Kichton: Personally I don't see an NHL player.

Let's say the Jets expose and lose Myers. Fast forward to 2018, the only D that we currently have signed and in the system that could "realistically" play in the top 4 is Buff, Trouba, and Morrissey. Maybe we trade for one or sign one as a FA. I wouldn't want to bank on that after watching how hard it is for teams to get top 4 D, and how nonsensical the prices are on FA day.

I like our D at the moment, but I don't think we are anywhere near deep enough to start losing the guys we have, and we don't have enough quality in the system besides Morrissey to bank on in regards to potential top 4 guys.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
http://www.tsn.ca/stamkos-leads-top-30-potential-nhl-free-agents-1.492995

Nice crop of free agents this year. Not that the Jets should go after any of these top guys, but there's a few I would prefer over Ladd.

It's been said before, but I think Ladd made a big mistake rejecting 6x6. No way is he getting that money on the open market. He's ok with taking a discount now because he has no other choice.

It will be interesting to see how many of these guys get deals done with their teams before free agency but if most of them hit the market and the cap remains relatively flat then it could be a big time buyers market because the supply is quite high.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

Nice crop of free agents this year. Not that the Jets should go after any of these top guys, but there's a few I would prefer over Ladd.

It's been said before, but I think Ladd made a big mistake rejecting 6x6. No way is he getting that money on the open market. He's ok with taking a discount now because he has no other choice.

If he's going to take a discount, it will be too stay in Chicago. If he wants cash, he'll go to Edmonton or Vancouver. Maybe Florida.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If he's going to take a discount, it will be too stay in Chicago. If he wants cash, he'll go to Edmonton or Vancouver. Maybe Florida.

Even if he wants to take a discount Chicago can't afford to bring him back without jettising some other players.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Even if the rumour doesn't have it quite right and he was only offered 6x5.5 he made a mistake. He is going to have to accept either less money or less term to get a contract. I'm going to guess he gets about 4x6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad