Ladd (36% retained), Harrison, Fraser to CHI for Marko Dano, '16 1st, conditional 3rd

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
You're thinking too rationally.

The only question is will they resist the public pressure, or will they cave in? Nobody knows for sure

They might give a low-ball offer to Stamkos. I don't think he's a good fit for all the reasons Mort gave, but getting him for free (no assets) has got to be awfully tempting. Maybe (but probably not) even a really low-ball offer, with super short term, to Ladd. Unless either want to leave money (and term, for Ladd) on the table, they look elsewhere.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I don't see Ladd in Toronto.

Yeah, to be honest I was mostly just including Ladd in the conversation since this is a Ladd thread. :laugh:

The only way I could possibly see it justified is for super short term, if they feel they need some more vet presence to help the youngins along. And be off the books by the time they need the cap space. Not an offer Ladd would be likely to accept, for many reasons.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You're thinking too rationally.

The only question is will they resist the public pressure, or will they cave in? Nobody knows for sure

Agree, that is the question and none of us knows for sure. Some Toronto fans and media seem to be just assuming that it will be business as usual which would mean sign Stamkos at any cost and to he77 with any disciplined plan. Hope to win the SC by throwing money at it wildly. But I will reiterate what I said in my previous post
For 50 years Leafs management has been letting the noise run the team and what do they have to show for it? Now, for the first time they seem to be going about building a team the right way. Signing Stamkos would be going back to their old gameplan.

Honestly I think Stamkos represents a test of their current management in a couple of ways. 1) Will they give in to the pressure/temptation or will they stick to a more patient, disciplined plan? I can see where Stamkos must be very tempting. 2)If they give in to the temptation will they still be able to manage all the moving pieces and succeed in spite of the cap crunch?

My guess is no to both. I don't think they sign Stamkos but if they do I think it will sink their planned rebuild.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Dano hasn't exactly torn it up here, so I'm hoping our Chicago draft pick works out better.

Dano has been a quite effective player when on ice, even if he's been slightly quiet on the scoresheet. Not sure why people are down on him, personally.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Dano hasn't exactly torn it up here, so I'm hoping our Chicago draft pick works out better.

Did you expect instant star? Dano has been fine so far. Give him a chance to get his feet under him after 2 trades in short order.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Dano has been a quite effective player when on ice, even if he's been slightly quiet on the scoresheet. Not sure why people are down on him, personally.

He is a better option than Stafford is already IMO. If he got Drew's line mates, usage, and TOI he would put up just as good if not better point totals and actually not be a black hole possession wise like Drew is. I like Dano and think he is a very viable middle six option on this team. Feels like a double standard sometimes, a guy like Drew sucks when they put him with Lowry and Burmi on the 3rd line but Dano is suppose produce with plugs? Hopefully TNSE actually morphs into an organization that plays their best players now that we are accumulating enough talent.

Nov 24, 2006

I think some are down on him because he's not likely to be a top 6 forward on this team, which is what some viewed him as when he was included in the trade. He brings a whole lot of "meh" if you ask me. Not bad, just nothing to get excited about.

Coach G

Oct 1, 2015
In the corners
He is a better option than Stafford is already IMO. If he got Drew's line mates, usage, and TOI he would put up just as good if not better point totals and actually not be a black hole possession wise like Drew is. I like Dano and think he is a very viable middle six option on this team. Feels like a double standard sometimes, a guy like Drew sucks when they put him with Lowry and Burmi on the 3rd line but Dano is suppose produce with plugs? Hopefully TNSE actually morphs into an organization that plays their best players now that we are accumulating enough talent.

I think the difficulty with the perception of Dano is that he mostly doesn't look like one of the best players: he doesn't dazzle with speed or hands, so many fans have a hard time seeing what others of us like about him: hockey sense and compete level.
If Dano improves his quickness over the summer, as we believe mgmt has asked him to, and if he wins a spot with skilled linemates, as many of us deem likely, he will start winning over a lot more fans next season.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I think some are down on him because he's not likely to be a top 6 forward on this team, which is what some viewed him as when he was included in the trade. He brings a whole lot of "meh" if you ask me. Not bad, just nothing to get excited about.

I think Dano could be a perfect possession driver + scorer for our 3rd line.

That being said, we have so many prospects trying to grab a spot in our bottom 6, it's gonna be tough to get a spot. This is an excellent problem to have.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
I think the difficulty with the perception of Dano is that he mostly doesn't look like one of the best players: he doesn't dazzle with speed or hands, so many fans have a hard time seeing what others of us like about him: hockey sense and compete level.
If Dano improves his quickness over the summer, as we believe mgmt has asked him to, and if he wins a spot with skilled linemates, as many of us deem likely, he will start winning over a lot more fans next season.

Source?

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
My expectations for Dano are to be a very good player on the Jets' 3rd line, which will be a scoring line. So far, I haven't seen anything in Dano to make me doubt him in that role. He may even have 2nd line potential upside, but the 2nd line will be damn hard to crack on the Jets for a long time to come.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Agree, not excited necessarily. But I worship at the cult of Garret so I'm pretty fired up about having a quality set of players on our bottom six. For as long as the Jets have been back the contention has been that our bottom six have been awful and our goaltending needs repair badly. Dano playing third line is quite an upgrade over much of what we have had, so that's a happy thing to me.

Coach G

Oct 1, 2015
In the corners

Ferraro said at the WHC the other day (yesterday?) that the Jets asked Dano to go on a diet to improve his quickness in the off-season. That wasn't the first I'd heard of it, either; either Coach Mo, Chevy, or maybe Dano himself (I can't remember who, only that it was a real source, i.e. not Lawless or something) made a comment about it in their year-end interviews. I've heard several other posters repeat it since.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Dano is pretty awesome. All he has done is produce at a pretty exceptional level for his age minus some of his time in the AHL.... using Joel Armia as an example though, European players not being able to produce in the A in small sample sizes doesn't worry me.

He is the 3rd best RW in the organization in my opinion.

Wheeler
Ehlers
Dano
Armia
Stafford
Kosmachuk
Lipon

I really don't understand the depressed attitude towards him by some of the fan base. He's done some pretty incredible things for his age

If I could protect only 2 of 3 players in an expansion between Dano, Armia and Myers..... Myers would be hitting the road.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I heard his fitness and weight mentioned on the TSN IIHF broadcast. They basically said that Dano was too heavy and needed to lose some weight and gain some quickness. I think they indicated this was an issue for him in Chicago.

One of my first impressions of Dano was that he lacked fitness. He really struggled through intense / high-paced shifts. He seemed to get better later in the season, but I still think he needs to come into camp in good shape or he'll start the year with the Moose. If he had more quickness it would really add to his effectiveness, I think.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Dano is pretty awesome. All he has done is produce at a pretty exceptional level for his age minus some of his time in the AHL.... using Joel Armia as an example though, European players not being able to produce in the A in small sample sizes doesn't worry me.

Wheeler
Ehlers
Dano
Armia
Stafford
Kosmachuk
Lipon

I really don't understand the depressed attitude towards him by some of the fan base. He's done some pretty incredible things for his age

If I could protect only 2 of 3 players in an expansion between Dano, Armia and Myers..... Myers would be hitting the road.

In that circumstance it has to be Armia who goes. Its not even close between him and Myers. You are suggesting losing a top 4 D in order to keep a 4th line winger.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
My biggest challenge with Dano has been figuring out where he fits in the lineup. If we think about pairs or groups of players that seem to make sense together, Dano is hard for me to place. Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler are an obvious line. You probably put your most skilled rookie winger with Little and Perreault (Laine or Conner, I presume). That Petan-Copp-Armia line looked pretty good together in a small sample. You have to fit the other skilled rookie winger in with a vet or two. I can't imagine a Dano-Lowry-Connor line, for example. And you still need to find a spot for Stafford.

So who does Dano work well with??? Not that he can't, but there was no partnership that I saw him have last year that left me saying "that's who he fits with".

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
With Dano around there is huge potential to build three lines that can score. In today's watered down game that is a darn special thing. Run with these forwards for as long as possible. I see 16-17 as a building year to get everything sorted for a bigger push down the road. I am almost looking at the entire year as a really really long training camp. Take the time to find the best possible combos, end results be damned....could care less about the playoffs.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
My biggest challenge with Dano has been figuring out where he fits in the lineup. If we think about pairs or groups of players that seem to make sense together, Dano is hard for me to place. Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler are an obvious line. You probably put your most skilled rookie winger with Little and Perreault (Laine or Conner, I presume). That Petan-Copp-Armia line looked pretty good together in a small sample. You have to fit the other skilled rookie winger in with a vet or two. I can't imagine a Dano-Lowry-Connor line, for example. And you still need to find a spot for Stafford.

So who does Dano work well with??? Not that he can't, but there was no partnership that I saw him have last year that left me saying "that's who he fits with".

Burmistrov. We shouldn't be gifting Lowry **** after how awful he was last season.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Wheeler
Ehlers
Dano
Armia
Stafford
Kosmachuk
Lipon

I'm a Dano fan as well and I'm not sure why people are down on him. As a prospect and by just about every measure he has proven more than Copp, Petan, Armia, Kosmo, Lemieux, Lipon. Maybe we haven't had enough time to embrace him as our own yet? But I see him as a long term main stay in the bottom 6 who can move up on occasion if necessary. Let's not forget he was taken the same draft as Petan, Morrisey & Lipon and has 31 points in 69 games with a 5-5, 2.10 P/60 and a 53.9 CF%. And yes this is a lot better than his draft mates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad