GDT: LA @ San Jose 7:00pm NBC-SN Kfox

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
I think it is good thing that Burns gets the credit because now he has better chance to hit 30 goals. Of course this reduces Pavs goal totals by one goal and I really would like to see him hit 40 goals but I think 80-points for Pavs and Jumbo is nicer thing than 40 goals for Pavs. Pavs also doesn't lose any points because he did get an assist on that goal and this also add an assist to Thornton and increases his point totals by one point :D

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Last 30 goal season by a defenseman, Mike Green.

And it was 1992-93 the last time before that, when Kevin Hatcher did it, and obviously scoring was much much higher back then. So, it's only happened 1 time in the last nearly 25 years, and it's incredible he's doing it in today's NHL.

Actually, only 8 D-men in NHL history have scored 30 goals in a season, and it's only happened 17 times, ever, with the vast bulk of them happening in the 80's and 70's, when scoring was obviously much higher:

Bobby Orr (5 times)
Paul Coffey (4 times)
Denis Potvin (3 times)
Doug Wilson (1 time)
Phil Housley (1 time)
Ray Bourque (1 time)
Kevin Hatcher (1 time)
Mike Green (1 time)

So yeah, Burns is much closer to doing something incredibly historic, and I'm really glad he got his goal back. Right *NOW* he's tied for 28th place in the "Most goals scored by a D-man in 1 season in NHL history". He's also the oldest player to be on that list, at 30. Al MacInnnis had 28 when he was 30, but everyone else was generally in their early 20s when they scored that much. Coffey was the oldest to hit 30 goals, and did it when he was 27 in 1988-89. That makes what Burns is doing even more historic, IMHO.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
So yeah, Burns is much closer to doing something incredibly historic, and I'm really glad he got his goal back. Right *NOW* he's tied for 28th place in the "Most goals scored by a D-man in 1 season in NHL history". He's also the oldest player to be on that list, at 30. Al MacInnnis had 28 when he was 30, but everyone else was generally in their early 20s when they scored that much. Coffey was the oldest to hit 30 goals, and did it when he was 27 in 1988-89. That makes what Burns is doing even more historic, IMHO.

What makes it most special is that Burns is doing it in a very low-scoring era. Without looking at the numbers, I'd guess it was lower scoring than it was in 2009. It is almost certainly lower than it was doing the majority of those other times.

Age-wise...well, in that way, Burns is a benefit of his era. Players generally stay in the game longer. Heck, during Coffey's prime, only ~20% of players played past the age of 30. During MacInnis's, about 28%. During Burns's, it is nearing 40%.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
What makes it most special is that Burns is doing it in a very low-scoring era. Without looking at the numbers, I'd guess it was lower scoring than it was in 2009. It is almost certainly lower than it was doing the majority of those other times.

Age-wise...well, in that way, Burns is a benefit of his era. Players generally stay in the game longer. Heck, during Coffey's prime, only ~20% of players played past the age of 30. During MacInnis's, about 28%. During Burns's, it is nearing 40%.

Numbers on top D-man scoring seasons I got from here: http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/most-goals-in-one-season-by-nhl-defensemen.html

And yes, absolutely the degree of difficulty given the scoring era is off the charts compared to most of the others. Orr & Potvin did theirs in the 70s. Hatcher did his in '92, Green did his in 2009, and every single other time it happened was between 1980 and 1990.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad