Confirmed with Link: LA Kings Sign Goaltender Cal Petersen

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Every year the Kings have at least ONE bad contract, maybe two.

Last year it was Maata and Brown - this year it's Cal and Sean Walker.

Last edited:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

-Nick
I don't think Walkers is bad, less than $3M for a RHD that can play top 4 once fully recovered and back up to speed.
Petersson is looking terrible. I wonder if New Jersey could take him plus something for Blackwood this off season. Probably not, but I can dream.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011

Maatta wasn’t bad. Would prob be the Kings 2nd best dman right now if he was in the lineup.

Reactions: 21Dog

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
Peterson... ugh. We need to look at doing a buyout, unfortunately.

But hey, at least Phaneuf's payments end at the end of the season ! Richards, meanwhile...

Reactions: YP44

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Now is when we all look back and wonder how the hell Cal Petersen managed to get $5 million a year based on absolutely nothing.
Except it wasn't?

He put up good numbers and seemingly handled the workload well enough for a potential starter. He was the type who wouldn't steal games, but wasn't actively losing them either. He was average.

Reactions: David Lunch

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I remember liking the term because I thought Cal could at least be a stopgap for a future solution and we didn't commit long term. Didn't really expect him to faceplant immediately. Hopefully, he can salvage something and come back as a backup because we are not getting rid of him outside of a buyout.

Reactions: Bandit

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I remember liking the term because I thought Cal could at least be a stopgap for a future solution and we didn't commit long term. Didn't really expect him to faceplant immediately. Hopefully, he can salvage something and come back as a backup because we are not getting rid of him outside of a buyout.
Yeah I mean that was basically my original comment. It was supposed to give them time to find the real next number 1 but instead Cal is skidding down the mountain on his face and we have nobody in the pipeline.

• Haha
Reactions: Maynard and Telos

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I was a bit surprised with the amount he got, like a lot of people, but I think it’s fair to say no one saw the complete collapse that’s transpired. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a goalie choke so hard under average pressure like this.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
The weird thing here is Rob Blake signing a goalie to a $5M a year extension despite having just 50 starts to his name.
Blake's been around the league long enough to have seen goalies who come on strong and then get torn up

Reactions: lumbergh

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The weird thing here is Rob Blake signing a goalie to a $5M a year extension despite having just 50 starts to his name.
Blake's been around the league long enough to have seen goalies who come on strong and then get torn up
3x 5M was the going rate at the time based on comps.

Koskinen had got 3x 4.5M. And there was another similar comp at the time, but I can't remember who it was.

So the market was set.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
3x 5M was the going rate at the time based on comps.

Koskinen had got 3x 4.5M. And there was another similar comp at the time, but I can't remember who it was.

So the market was set.

There was a good long list of comps, frankly, at least 5-6 in the same boat with similar risks

It's unfortunate that Cal is the one who has thus far blown up the worst but Koskinen is another interesting one and Demko has his own issues this year

Almost everyone seems to be having some issues this year to some degree, hell even NYR fans are irked with Shesterkin right now

Reactions: lumbergh

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The market is stupid and you don't have to do it just because "everyone else does it."

Ok--they could have not reached an agreement and now with the benefit of hindsight we might be in the same spot now anyway--but at that time Quick was aging and we had no prospects of note coming up so Cal was "the guy" and had a track record similar to the other comparables AND was one year away from UFA so we could have had a retiring Quick and no Cal and no one in the system, so just have to pray and overpay on the FA market. It was a no-win situation in retrospect but at the time with all the info given it was just about the only reasonable option and theoretically bought us a couple of years.

Of course, fast forward and Quick is hurting, Peterson is fried, Parik is on the outs, all that's really left is Copley, Villalta, and three minor prospects, and Blake missed on Wallstedt so a lot of people can pat themselves on the back and say they were geniuses because Cal has sunk. But if you look back thru the thread, no one proposed any other realistic options, either, so...

I assure you the market doesn't care about your opinion, though. That's how comparables work in multiple industries.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Ok--they could have not reached an agreement and now with the benefit of hindsight we might be in the same spot now anyway--but at that time Quick was aging and we had no prospects of note coming up so Cal was "the guy" and had a track record similar to the other comparables AND was one year away from UFA so we could have had a retiring Quick and no Cal and no one in the system, so just have to pray and overpay on the FA market. It was a no-win situation in retrospect but at the time with all the info given it was a reasonable option.

I assure you the market doesn't care about your opinion, though. That's how comparables work in multiple industries.

I get it.
But a 3-year commitment at $5M to a guy with basically 1 season under his belt... that's not worth it.
Sometimes, you gotta let a guy walk when the market dictates something so risky.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I get it.
But a 3-year commitment at $5M to a guy with basically 1 season under his belt... that's not worth it.
Sometimes, you gotta let a guy walk when the market dictates something so risky.

I can't recall what the pending UFA market was going to look like honestly so I can't even say whether that was more risky, honestly.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I can't recall what the pending UFA market was going to look like honestly so I can't even say whether that was more risky, honestly.
Well, look at how it turned out.
Every year you can find average and mediocre goalies on the market for cheaper and for 1 year.

Goalies are hard to judge.
Look at Nedeljkovic in Carolina and now in Detroit. Night and day.
Carolina had the puck all the time.
Now that he's in Detroit, everyone knows his weaknesses.

I was kind of surprised Yzerman just signed Husso for as much as he paid.
Another example of a mostly untested player getting big money.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Well, look at how it turned out.
Every year you can find average and mediocre goalies on the market for cheaper and for 1 year.

Goalies are hard to judge.
Look at Nedeljkovic in Carolina and now in Detroit. Night and day.
Carolina had the puck all the time.
Now that he's in Detroit, everyone knows his weaknesses.

I was kind of surprised Yzerman just signed Husso for as much as he paid.
Another example of a mostly untested player getting big money.

Here are the best goalies that would have been UFAs this offseason if we had let Cal go...funny we have history with the top 2. But really not much to have put full faith in. Kuemper would have been interesting but also UFAs = risk they might not sign with you and we could have been left holding the bag and signing Halak or something

1669934915292.png

Reactions: MBH

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Here are the best goalies that would have been UFAs this offseason if we had let Cal go...funny we have history with the top 2. But really not much to have put full faith in. Kuemper would have been interesting but also UFAs = risk they might not sign with you and we could have been left holding the bag and signing Halak or something

View attachment 615652
Comrie is shit.
I'd take Samsonov, Halak and Jones at those prices.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad