Confirmed with Link: LA Kings Sign Goaltender Cal Petersen

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
I have no issues with this contract. Kings don’t have cap issues while Quick is on the team - $11.6 cap hit / $5.5 salary over the next two years. Still a decent backup and his salary is close to what a veteran backup makes.
So, Petersen’s deal is fine by me,

Reactions: Lt Dan

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Reaction to this off this board is predictably like the Matt Roy signing--either 'WHO?' like they're proud of their ignorance or 'lol overpayment' because they glanced at a stat sheet.

Good deal for team and player imo, allows Cal to establish himself while making good money, allows team to react to his emerging abilities as a #1 without handicapping the cap or goalie term.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Cal also is coming off 'best goaltender' at the World Championships was a big honor. Even though he lost to Team Canada, he was stellar that game.
Good contract and well deserved.

USAWC71.29.95325-2-0|
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Cal Petersen Tabbed Best Goaltender, Garland Named Media All-Star at 2021 Men’s Worlds

Petersen becomes fourth-ever U.S. player and first since 2004 to earn honor; Garland becomes fifth U.S. player ever named to Media All-Star Team
U.S. goaltender Cal Petersen (Waterloo, Iowa/LA Kings) was named Best Goaltender and forward Conor Garland (Scituate, Mass./Arizona Coyotes) was named to the Media All-Star Team of the 2021 IIHF Men’s World Championship here in Riga, Latvia. The announcement was made following the conclusion of the IIHF Men's World Championship, where Petersen and Garland helped Team USA earn a bronze medal after a 6-1 victory over Germany.
Petersen becomes the fourth-ever U.S. player to earn Best Goaltender honors and eighth-ever U.S. player to earn a directorate honor while Garland becomes the fifth-ever U.S. named to the Media All-Star Team.
About Petersen

Petersen, who skated the 2020-21 season with the LA Kings, was also named one of Team USA’s top three players after finishing the event with a 5-2 (W-L) record, a 1.29 goals-against-average, .953 save percentage and two shutouts. In seven games, he registered two shutouts, allowed one goal twice, allowed two goals twice and three goals once. Of those seven games, he started all three U.S. playoff tilts and registered two wins, a 1.68 GAA and a .947 SV% as the U.S. captured its second medal in three years and its fourth medal in eight years (bronze: 2013, 2015, 2018, 2021). Entering the third period of the bronze-medal game, he had turned aside 54-straight shots against the Germans over two games, despite the U.S. being outshot 54-31 in that span.
In addition, he and fellow U.S. goaltenders Jake Oettinger (Lakeville, Minn.) and Anthony Stolarz (Edison, N.J.) combined to allow just eight goals through preliminary-round play, the lowest a U.S. team has allowed since the tournament was reformatted in 2012. The prior U.S. record for fewest goals allowed in the current tournament format was 14 (2015, 2017).
Petersen’s performance in goal ranks among the best-ever by a U.S. netminder. His goals-against-average ranks second-best ever by a U.S. goaltender in a single IIHF Men’s World Championship and trails only the 1.13 GAA effort by Ed Maki in 1939. In addition, his two shutouts is tied with six others for fifth-best in U.S. tournament history.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I have questions about whether or not Petersen can sustain a high level of play over the course of a long season.

It's a bit of a risky move, but it's not like the Kings had much of an option.

Kings need to get a blue chip goaltending prospect in the system soon.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Completely undeserving regardless of how hopeful you are of his future. He's done nothing as a King remotely deserving of a contract this size.

Been pretty good with Blake's contracts, but this is definitely the most questionable one.

Reactions: kingsfan

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I have questions about whether or not Petersen can sustain a high level of play over the course of a long season.

It's a bit of a risky move, but it's not like the Kings had much of an option.

Kings need to get a blue chip goaltending prospect in the system soon.
I think the Kings like the goaltending prospects they already have in Parik,Ingram,Villalta,Markonen and maybe Hrenak adds to that picture unless he decides to go the college UFA route in a years time which to me is his best bet! If they didn't like the aforementioned 4-5 prospects they would have scoped up Jesper Wallstedt at numero ocho in 2021 draft

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I mean it's only three years, and by the time it's up the real next starter should already be in the pipeline because for all we've seen so far, it ain't Cal. Hope I'm wrong.

Yeah I've seen various shades of "lol this sucks" today but no one can explain how it is a problem in any scenario short of Petersen tanking out of the league immediately.

• Wow
Reactions: Sol

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Salary is pretty much in line with similar guys:

Shesterkin - $5.6M, 25 years old: .921, 2.55, 47gp
Sorokin - $4M, 26 years old: .918, 2.17, 22gp
Demko - $5M, 25 years old: .911, 2.93, 72gp
Saros - $5M, 26 years old: .920, 2.50, 155gp
Ullmark - $5M, 28 years old: .912, 2.78, 117gp
Petersen - $5M, 26 years old: .916, 2.79, 54gp

That Sorokin contract could look really good if he keeps it up.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I think the AAV is perhaps higher than it "should" be because the contract is only three years. This contract takes him to what, 30? His contract comps can be found here, but I'll give you a brief list of names:
  • Linus Ullmark
  • Mikko Koskinen
  • Elvis Merzlikins
  • Chris Driedger
  • Petr Mrazek
I think seeing $5 million for a goalie comes as a bit of a shock because we haven't had to sign one in such a long while, but don't forget that Quick's $5 million contract was a 10-year deal signed in 2013. $5 million for a 27-year-old goalie with #1 starter potential is the going rate these days. This was probably the easiest contract Blake and Cal's agent (Pete Rutili, who also represents Tyler Madden) negotiated.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Seems like fair market value. And if there is any part of our development and scouting that I trust, it's goaltending. I suspect that the Kings will eventually trade a forward prospect for a top goaltender prospect in the next 12 months or so. Or wait for a former highly-touted prospect from another organization to underperform and then scoop him up as a reclamation project.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Most importantly the term is right, three years. Within those three years the Kings will find out if Cal is a legit #1 goaltender in the NHL.

Agreed. The term is perfect, it is less than Quick's and he'll be off the books by the time it ends. We will know by then if Cal is the answer or not; however, regardless of what that answer may be, we absolutely need a better goaltending prospect somewhere unless we plan on trading for one in the future. The age difference between Cal and Quick would be the same between a prospect and Cal. Given how long they take to develop, we should already have some better looks towards the future in goal.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I think the Kings like the goaltending prospects they already have in Parik,Ingram,Villalta,Markonen and maybe Hrenak adds to that picture unless he decides to go the college UFA route in a years time which to me is his best bet! If they didn't like the aforementioned 4-5 prospects they would have scoped up Jesper Wallstedt at numero ocho in 2021 draft

I was hoping they'd grab Wallstedt too, but I had Clarke at fourth overall in this draft and higher than Wallstedt, plus they still needed a potential top pairing defenseman so it was still the right pik in my books.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I get this buys out two years of UFA, but he's also only semi-proven for one year. Basically we rolled the dice his 35 games this year, which at age 26 are the most by far he's played in a season in the NHL, are not only going to hold but actually improve. Fine. But it doesn't seem like we got a discount to do so. It's just as likely he falls on his face next year and ends up as a UFA looking for a backup gig and it doesn't seem like Blake leveraged that at all. Two years at $3.5 - $4 mill per is what I'd have liked to see.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I think the 5 million is a bit rich, but we are mostly paying him in signing bonuses so he's still only being paid 1 million in salary until the 3rd year and I think that's what people seem to miss when looking at the contract. The cap hit looks like a starter, but he's not being paid like one. Plus cap wise we're still solid even after adding Danault and Arvidsson. Brown, Carter, Maata, Edler, Athansiou cap hits all gone with only Kempe, Anderson and Vilardi needing new deals.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
All I know is that Cal seriously needs to make a major step up and prove himself to be a consistent goalie the Kings can rely on.

If he doesn't then the hunt is on for the real number one.

Sure, but if we're expecting Quick-like MVP numbers without that 2011-2015 team defense in front of him, our expectations are the problem.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I think the 5 million is a bit rich, but we are mostly paying him in signing bonuses so he's still only being paid 1 million in salary until the 3rd year and I think that's what people seem to miss when looking at the contract. The cap hit looks like a starter, but he's not being paid like one. Plus cap wise we're still solid even after adding Danault and Arvidsson. Brown, Carter, Maata, Edler, Athansiou cap hits all gone with only Kempe, Anderson and Vilardi needing new deals.

Not following your reasoning here. Signing bonuses still count against the cap so it makes no difference. If anything him getting signing bonuses is another win for his agent, not a win for the team.

The only small positive is he might be easier to trade after the Kings pay him his bonuses, but if it has come to that the Kings are in trouble.

Reactions: kingsfan

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Not following your reasoning here. Signing bonuses still count against the cap so it makes no difference. If anything him getting signing bonuses is another win for his agent, not a win for the team.

The only small positive is he might be easier to trade after the Kings pay him his bonuses, but if it has come to that the Kings are in trouble.

I don't even think we get that positive out of this as the final year he's getting $6 million in salary, so even teams like Arizona that would want a cheap contract with a high cap hit wouldn't touch him as his salary is even higher than his cap hit in the final year. Quick at least has a backdiving deal and gets like $2.5 mill this year on a $5.8 mill cap hit so he has one selling feature.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad