Confirmed with Link: LA Kings Sign Goaltender Cal Petersen

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I'm just walking away from the personal stuff because frankly you're just being a whiny little bitch about my personality so whatever, that's a you problem.

Evidence to the contrary meaning his stats for the vast majority of the season were literally top-10. You're basing your 'evidence' of a 'bad season' on anecdotes. Even with the falloff at the end, he finished in the top half of save % for starting goalies, no small feat for a guy on a basement team.

We're not talking about a prospect/rookie Jon Bernier; we're talking about mid-20s goalies with professional track records.

I'm not optimistic about everything on the team. We have issues, TM is at the forefront of those, and there are a LOT of questionmarks that, if not answered this season, start to make me question the rebuild and organizational vision. It's not all sunshine and rainbows. But stable goaltending is good, and CP was one of the emergent bright spots last year before the entire team imploded.

There's no 'circle jerk,' there are a number of fans who see reasonable comparables with similar backgrounds/stats/ages/pedigrees as well as potential and a short term as well as no certain pipeline behind Petersen and see a reasonable investment thats commensurate with the above. I haven't seen anyone higher on CP than me, frankly, and it's not like I've been running around tooting his horn as a saviour.

Like I said, you can argue you disagree that it's a good bridge, and I think some fair claims are his previous workload, questions of his ceiling, ability to be 'the guy.' I think your fair conclusion rests entirely on a flawed premise of 'bad season.' that's all. If you don't like the callout, feel free to back it up with something more than "I feel like Petersen sucks." Others have.

When I want to come across as rational and unemotional, I too call people whiny bitches.

It's almost like I brought up his workload and made references to the fact he's looked unspectacular in comparison to his hype which would lead anyone to rationally doubt his ceiling.

But yes whiny bitches.

Reactions: PainForShane

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Sometimes I wonder if why some fans forget the origin/concept of professional sports being a source of fun and entertainment.
If you want to be a downer all the time and crap on everything, why not just be into politics and follow that dumpster fire and join in with those miserable people. Or twitter and whatever social media miserable crowds are at these days.

I think it's pretty logical to be a downer as a Kings fan due to recent history. Being excited on hype seems a bit immature considering the fact the Kings were near the bottom again.

I think I have the same problem. I've been hyped every year and then realized if I want to just be illogically positive then I should become a rose colored glasses cheerleader that wants to bask in the glory of a top 5 perennial bottom feeding team. And then I'll pick up bashing on those who don't feel positive towards the bottom feeding team. Seems like the right thing to do.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Last season was crazy especially with the compressed schedule. I don't think Petersen played poorly as a whole. Looking at the splits, the only team he was really poor against was the Ducks, which the entire team played embarrassingly against for whatever reason. The Kings went 3-13 vs Colorado and Vegas alone. Petersen went 2-8 vs those teams and actually played well against both teams until a 6-0 white-washing at the end of the season vs the Avalanche. Either way, I'm not going to pick nits over 500k to 1m "overpayment" on a 3 year deal. There's some recency bias for sure on the Kings season because of how the Avalanche just mopped the floor with them to end the season. The Avalanche did that to everyone until falling apart vs Vegas themselves.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I think it's pretty logical to be a downer as a Kings fan due to recent history. Being excited on hype seems a bit immature considering the fact the Kings were near the bottom again.

I think I have the same problem. I've been hyped every year and then realized if I want to just be illogically positive then I should become a rose colored glasses cheerleader that wants to bask in the glory of a top 5 perennial bottom feeding team. And then I'll pick up bashing on those who don't feel positive towards the bottom feeding team. Seems like the right thing to do.

I hear you on the Kings NHL team themselves -- the on ice product has sucked for a few years now. Then again, I don't know how/why you had any hopes and hype for them. I thought it was pretty obvious they would suck each of the last 3 years and be a bottom 5-10 team at least.

Now the prospects -- that's different. The hype is real. Whether they pan out in the end is unknown and TBD. Sure they haven't set things on fire yet for the most part. But rarely does that happen with guys so young. Give it time. Let's be real (not hype or illogically positive), there probably is not one NHL organization and/or fan base that would not immediately trade their prospects & future for the Kings. The NHL team -- no they suck (hopefully improvements start this year). But whether the prospects have shown the result to-date that you expect, or want, does not mean that they are not the absolute envy of nearly every single NHL GM and fan-boy right now. You just need to be patient though and endure the recent crap from the NHL team. Complaining about hype is WAY premature at this point in time. Now 3-5 years from now, we can then properly look back and say whether or not the prospect hype from 2020-2021+ was real or illogically positive. In the meantime, I suggest you have a few cool ones and enjoy seeing the young-ones progress into (hopefully) successful LA Kings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sol

Schrute farms

Jul 7, 2020
When I want to come across as rational and unemotional, I too call people whiny bitches.

It's almost like I brought up his workload and made references to the fact he's looked unspectacular in comparison to his hype which would lead anyone to rationally doubt his ceiling.

But yes whiny bitches.

While i disagree with your POV, I do agree with you here on the name calling -- RJs comment about you was uncalled for and too much.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I hear you on the Kings NHL team themselves -- the on ice product has sucked for a few years now. Then again, I don't know how/why you had any hopes and hype for them. I thought it was pretty obvious they would suck each of the last 3 years and be a bottom 5-10 team at least.

Now the prospects -- that's different. The hype is real. Whether they pan out in the end is unknown and TDB. Sure they haven't set things on fire yet for the most part. But rarely does that happen with guys so young. Give it time. Let's be real (not hype or illogically positive), there probably is not one NHL organization and/or fan base that would not immediately trade their prospects & future for the Kings. The NHL team -- no they suck (hopefully improvements start this year). But whether the prospects have shown the result to-date that you expect, or want, does not mean that they are not the absolute envy of nearly every single NHL GM and fan-boy right now. You just need to be patient though and endure the recent crap from the NHL team. Complaining about hype is WAY premature at this point in time. Now 3-5 years from now, we can then properly look back and say whether or not the prospect hype from 2020-2021+ was real or illogically positive. In the meantime, I suggest you have a few cool ones and enjoy seeing the young-ones progress into (hopefully) successful LA Kings.

A lot of things can go wrong in a season and as Kings fans we should know that the Kings aren't a normal franchise. 2021 8th seed to stream rolling in the playoffs. 2014 nonstop brink of elimination.

Yes there's some reasons to be excited about the prospects individually, but the team as a whole, who knows how they will perform. In they should do decent but knowing the Kings it's up in the air.

I'd rather be viewing the team from a pessimistic pov because I've gotten tired of being excited and then seeing the soul sucking on ice performance.

I'd rather be the opposite, be negative, and then see a reason to have hope.

I don't think Byfield is too great. Let him do great. Id want to eat my hat.

And I'm pretty uncomfortable with Maclellan as coach. He seems to talk the talk but the team has had no identity which is worrisome. Even when we were watching soul-less hockey with Terry Murray we all knew what Murray's plan and approach to the game was.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
While i disagree with your POV, I do agree with you here on the name calling -- RJs comment about you was uncalled for and too much.

Attack my character instead of my reasoning and I'll call it like I see it. Sol's got thick enough skin and he knew he was pushing my buttons, I'll buy him a beer later.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Shoot SniperHF a DM. I did. Its time, folks.

I enjoy your crusade to end my tenure as a mod as if it has any bearing on my life and happiness.

I'll gladly step down and just...keep acting the same. The difference will be I get to put guys like you on ignore instead of having to see your miserable drivel and constant streams of stalker DMs.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I enjoy your crusade to end my tenure as a mod as if it has any bearing on my life and happiness.

I'll gladly step down and just...keep acting the same. The difference will be I get to put guys like you on ignore instead of having to see your miserable drivel and constant streams of stalker DMs.

5o6zw3.jpg

Seriously, I've been away to long and have no idea what's going on with the pecking order around here lol

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Contract is fine problem is Cal already 27 years of age. By the time Quick was 27 he already had a Stanley Cup + Conn Smythe Vezina+Hart votes.

Next Two years Cal needs to light the world on Fire.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Quick came into a situation where a number 1 goalie was needed. Cal came in a couple years back when Quick got hurt and played amazing just to get sent down for 2 more years.
It seems league wide there are goalies breaking out at older ages now.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Completely undeserving regardless of how hopeful you are of his future. He's done nothing as a King remotely deserving of a contract this size.

Been pretty good with Blake's contracts, but this is definitely the most questionable one.
Kinda crazy how spot on I was directly on the first page. With the haters getting all up in my ears.

32079CBD-0795-47C3-B854-6FF1B5D36D60.gif

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I guess my real problem with this is that if this is what Cal has to offer being what like ten years younger than Quick? I'd rather give Quick a short extension if he still wants to play and continue looking for a real number one goalie.

I don't think Cal has shown any reason to dethrone an old goalie like Quick. Be realistic, Cal is only has his foot through the door because Quick is old. Definitely not performance last year.

If Cal has another season like the last one, I'd extend Quick for a season, and look hard to trade for a Goalie if possible.

Cal as a King has shown nothing personally to me that says he deserves 5 million a year when a back up at 1 million a year could have easily replicated his performance.

This contract is purely on hope, and how he's done before the Kings.

Nothing else. And that bothers me.
Damn this hits home right now because unfortunately to this day Cal has done nothing that Copley couldn’t do at a fraction of the cost.

And yes I am well aware I’m quoting myself. Just wanted to see what I said back then was accurate to this day.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Meh, if you post enough you're eventually gonna get something right. :thumbd:

And its pretty poor form to quote yourself:rolleyes:
Plus, as usual, he offers no actual analysis. Just "he bad lolz".

Plus, as mentioned, this performance is visibly worse, statistically and in the eye test. He's not tracking pucks in traffic. He's playing small, leaving bigger holes all around, playing with no confidence. There's just nothing going right.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Plus, as usual, he offers no actual analysis. Just "he bad lolz".

Plus, as mentioned, this performance is visibly worse, statistically and in the eye test. He's not tracking pucks in traffic. He's playing small, leaving bigger holes all around, playing with no confidence. There's just nothing going right.

Yeah most of last season it looked like a confidence thing, in his own head, just wasn't playing quite good enough.

But since he left that preseason game, every second of his play has been sub-NHL-level. This is more than just 'he's not good enough,' this is catastrophically bad, worst goaltending I've seen in a Kings sweater.

Have to think it will improve at least back to 'not good enough' but it makes one wonder what the LBI was and how much it's bugging him.

Guys' tenure in a Kings sweater has been strange. He's gone from Vezina candidate to the wheels falling off to recovering but not-quite-there to...shambles. It makes sense that they'll let him work through it for a variety of reasons but I can understand people not liking it.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Schrute farms

Jul 7, 2020
Kinda crazy how spot on I was directly on the first page. With the haters getting all up in my ears.
You were one for two. Nailed the Cal bad contract. Well done.
But you also said (just before the season started) in thread that we'd be a bottom feeder team yet again 2021-2022. Bad fail -- 99 points, 3rd place and a 7 game playoff run. Pat yourself on the back for the win, but don't forget/ignore the massive miss on that one.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
You were one for two. Nailed the Cal bad contract. Well done.
But you also said (just before the season started) in thread that we'd be a bottom feeder team yet again 2021-2022. Bad fail -- 99 points, 3rd place and a 7 game playoff run. Pat yourself on the back for the win, but don't forget/ignore the massive miss on that one.
I was right if you think about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3