Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Lizotte is not a long term answer. Love his moxie and kudos to him for reaching this level and not just being a body on a tanking team but his spot should be upgraded.

If anyone wants to bookmark this post or whatever, feel free to do so. Fagemo will never be as good as RV. Would love to be wrong but Arvidsson is on a different level skill wise.

Good amount of disrespect for his game when I read he is expendable/replaceable.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Lizotte is not a long term answer. Love his moxie and kudos to him for reaching this level and not just being a body on a tanking team but his spot should be upgraded.

If anyone wants to bookmark this post or whatever, feel free to do so. Fagemo will never be as good as RV. Would love to be wrong but Arvidsson is on a different level skill wise.

Good amount of disrespect for his game when I read he is expendable/replaceable.

Who would you consider an upgrade on Lizotte.......not just in the Kings organization, but....league wise.....

Reactions: johnjm22

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV

Agreed on all counts. I love Lizotte though and think he is literally the Rudy of the team/NHL. It is clear that he is an inspirational character in the locker room, every player states that seeing him out there gives them motivation, and his motor and heart literally wills more production than someone his size and build would likely ever get in the NHL. He is more skilled than he gets credit for, his hands, skating, and shot are underrated but because of his size they likely will always remain so because of his limitations and ceiling. Though, I think Lizotte is the litmus test of whether or not the Kings are truly a contender. As long as he is on the team, I don't think they are. I think he is the very last person to exit to enter that status.

Also, I question Fagemo's upside. Though, I think he can be or already is an NHL talent, I don't think he will ever be as good as Arvidsson and Arvy's contributions to the top 6 are underrated. He is often cited as the first guy we'd lose, but his metric numbers are insane and when he is on the ice he makes sure that puck is kept in the offensive zone. The problem with him and fans I think is an eye test illusion because you can tell he is jittery and a little indecisive with the puck and his stickhandling overall isn't as good or flashy as someone like Vilardi's, but he gets the job done and would be missed if he was pushed out.

Reactions: BigKing

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Who would you consider an upgrade on Lizotte.......not just in the Kings organization, but....league wise.....
I would take a responsible player with enough size to actually wear down an opponent over a playoff series. Wouldn't care if there was a trade off for points. Even with the points, you have to look at who he has had a chance to play with this season.

I'd prefer to give JAD the opportunity if we are talking about players on the Kings roster.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Thinking good NHL players "can easily be replaced" is among the biggest misconceptions among fans on this website in my opinion.

I remember when Cammalleri could easily be replaced by O'Sullivan, who shortly after could easily be replaced by Möller. You go from having a legit top 6 talent to someone not good enough to have an impact real quick if you aren't careful.

Absolutely.

Fagemo isn't replacing Arvidsson for sure, and I wouldn't expect Chromiak to either. Fagemo is 22, and when RV was 23 he put up a 30g + 60p season, and he's still producing. Yeah he does dumb stuff once in a while, but he's no Fiala in that regard. He is criminally underrated around these parts. I know we point to Doughty for last year's playoffs, but RV was sorely missed as well. Look what he's doing this year and he's coming off back surgery.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Must mean Durzi is dead.

Re: Lizotte, he's got Derek Armstrong syndrome right now. He's miscast. If he's on the 4th line, even though he's not a big body--I'd argue he will be a pain in the ass over a 7 game series with his persistence and forechecking.

Re: RV, it's just a weekly flavor. Pick one: RV, Iafallo, Moore, etc. I know SOMEONE has to go but the general disrespect this forum has--and HAS HAD--for the 40-50 point guys even since the Cup years is absurd. And RV is more than that, he's a 50-60 point guy at a great value. If you want to argue he has the most trade value due to production vs. contract I'm all ears; but if you want to argue he's not worth it or blocking someone, good luck. The good news here is Blake has the most flexibilty at forward, no one can hold us hostage for a particular player or prospect there.

please please please play him

they never would.

Edler-Walker wednesday night, Spence gets a free trip to colorado's press box.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
after the last two games durzi looks lost switching back to the right side, and after the hit to the head it may be a good time for durzi to sit a game or two........spence has been his normal self again this year with 37 assists and .82 ppg but it would be issue starting at NHL speed against the Avs so RJ is probably right

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Durzi definitely didn't look good at all last game from a health perspective after the first and second hits he was looking uneasy and likely hurt. Of course, I hope he is okay and doesn't have a concussion, but I am hoping so bad that Spence sees the ice.

Re: Lizotte, he's got Derek Armstrong syndrome right now. He's miscast. If he's on the 4th line, even though he's not a big body--I'd argue he will be a pain in the ass over a 7 game series with his persistence and forechecking.

Agreed. It is not impossible to see him put forth a successful performance in the postseason. I think his greatest asset is his ability to draw penalties. He is almost impossible for big guys to play against without taking a penalty or letting him beat you in some way. My main fear is seeing him out there versus guys like McDavid, Eichel, Krejci, etc. I suppose that is the universal fear for a 4th line center though :P He is just more vulnerable to high skill and/or physicality.

Reactions: tbrown33

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Clarke is def going to spent the year in the AHL.

Next year, there is no way the Kings can roll RHD in Doughty, Durzi, Roy, Walker, Spence. They really need 3 LHD and big ones. Edler will walk as a UFA and who knows about Gavrikov.

That's 5 RHD and all are the same type of player except Durzi, who can occasionally scrap. The Kings need 2 big LHD to replace Edler/Gavrikov if Gav doesn't re-sign. If he does, Kings still need to replace Edler with someone bigger than 6'-0".

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020

It's not simply replacing Arvi next year with a young guy and that's it. Obviously doing so means the forward product takes a hit. Whether that be Fagemo, Turcotte, Kupari, Chrom, etc. -- any of these guys or other young guys won't match Avri's production. But two points:
1) you move someone up (like AK) to his spot. so it's really replacing a 4th liner and for that we need size/toughness/etc.
2) Even if you simply did replace with one of those young guys (again, down on bottom lines), it's the salary cap space that you gain that's the main imprtant piece here. So while you take a hit at forward production losing Arvi, it's offset by being able to spend that cap space on a LHD or Goalie.

Hopefully they can trade AI instead along with Walker and maybe Durzi....and that enables them to have the proper cap space to sign GV long term, sign Gavi (or other LHD), goalie, etc.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
In regards to signaling out an expensive forward to trade you have to look at which one is easiest to replace.

Arvidsson- small in stature, fast, creative, shoots from anywhere, although it can be to the detriment but consistently puts up a ppg pace that would be equivalent to a 60 point season. This guy meshes well with our 2C center who going forward should slide down the charts and be an almost elite 3C. Compatibility becomes a plus in my eyes.

Closest in system ready to replace him - maybe Fagemo, but I am not as sold on as others.

Moore - small speedy guy that pots the odd shorty. Good on forecheck. Meshes well with our same 2C. Just signed a long term extension . Can be streaky as most our players . In my eyes playing a bit out of place on line 2 but would be a great support winger on line 3

Closest in system to replace him - a healthy Turcotte

Fiala - not even going to waste my breath, talking about him or Kempe, as we have no one on the team that can replace either of them

Kempe - see above

Iafallo - small winger that has a little bit of everything, but doesn’t excel at anything. He is the perfect player to throw in anywhere and can survive for a few games at a time. Every team should have one of these guys. Can be used for short bursts on any line. can be very streaky.

closest in the system - this can be tricky as it could be just about anyone depending on which line he is playing on. In all honesty our top six should be set when you inlude Vilardi and Kaliyev in the mix.

In all reality Iafallo has provided us with years of serviceable playing time. With the current make up of the team, he is no longer a number one or number two line player. At this point is he replaceable by someone on the team on the third line? I say, by next year, I think Daneaults line moves down to be an elite third line. This pushes Iafallo to the fourth line, where we can play younger guys that take up a quarter of the cap in that position with more specified roles

I love the guy, but with the exception of Sean Walker, I believe he’s the most tredeable asset on the team. His $4 million contract can be put towards a position of need

There has to be a trade market for him as well so we get to recoup a possible prospect or pick.

Last edited:

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Byfield-Kopitar-Kempe
Arvidsson-Danault-Moore
Fiala-Lizotte-Vilardi
Iaffalo-Kupar-Kayilev

When healthy this is where the Kings line-up.

The issue is there is NO grit and that is not the 4th line you want in the playoffs if we end up playing Seattle, Edmonton, etc.

Kings will have to work MacEwen in and guess who sits - Kayilev. TM won't bench Iaffalo - Grundstrom is a LW, so if Iaffalo plays, he likely sits. JAD will likely get no time. If Byfield struggles in the playoffs, then TM can get both MacEwen and Grundstrom in for size.

Kings will have the same issue next year because everyone on that roster is under contract. Add in Fagemo, who is waiver eligible - you have now 4 extra forwards.

As others stated, Lizotte is a poor 3rd line option - I would move Kupari up with Fiala/Vilardi and put Lizotte back as the 4C.

Blake needs to find a way to deal 2 forwards this summer. He has to.

Reactions: Schmooley

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Thinking good NHL players "can easily be replaced" is among the biggest misconceptions among fans on this website in my opinion.

I remember when Cammalleri could easily be replaced by O'Sullivan, who shortly after could easily be replaced by Möller. You go from having a legit top 6 talent to someone not good enough to have an impact real quick if you aren't careful.
You're familiar with the concept of the hard salary cap, correct?
So you understand that teams have to rotate young players on cost-controlled deals into the lineup to replace well-paid veterans whose AAV's are no longer digestable in the flat cap era.
Ok, there you go.
Your snark about how this young guy isnt as good as veteran X, well no shit sherlock. But there is a cap so choices must be made and there are a lot of nice looking young Fs coming up who need playing time and are cost-controlled for X years.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Wasn't Moore back at full practice like 10 days ago? What is keeping him out. I wonder if he has a concussion back in December and has had recurring symptoms? Would explain him returning to the lineup only to leave again inexplicably.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
This summer:

Byfield-Kopitar-Kempe
Arvidsson-Danault-Moore
Fiala-Lizotte-Vilardi
Iaffalo-Kupar-Kayilev
Extras: JAD, Grundstrom, MacEwen, Fagemo

Everyone in bold can be moved.

Doughty-Anderson
Roy-Durzi
Walker-Bjornfot
Spence won't require waivers until the following season....

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
Wasn't Moore back at full practice like 10 days ago? What is keeping him out. I wonder if he has a concussion back in December and has had recurring symptoms? Would explain him returning to the lineup only to leave again inexplicably.

He had another setback, which is concerning bc he came back to practice in a tinted visor - suggests he's dealing with concussion issues.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Random stat, but in overall height, Kings are bottom 6. The teams smaller than them are way tougher though...Minnesota, Montreal, Philly.

If you are going to have smaller players they better score 30 goals or play heavy, not 10 goals. Or you better surround them with bigger players, otherwise they will end up like Durzi, Moore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad