L.A. v. Vegas

Who would you prefer for the Oilers 1st round opponent?

• L.A. Kings

Votes: 26 44.1%
  • Vegas

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Get back to work Cuppy

Votes: 16 27.1%

• Total voters

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If they can beat Vegas, I think the psychological effects of exorcising the Cheatin' Demons could propel them a long way, much like the morale boost they got in 2006 from beating the Wings.
Thats kind of where I am at as well.
I dont care who they play but I have to think that psychological boost from beating the Stanley Cup Champs (especially with the history) would be massive for this team.

Last edited:

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
A Pacific bracket of LA, Vancouver, Nashville, looks more manageable compared to the Central bracket which would be Vegas, Winnipeg, Colorado, Dallas.

The last 3 teams to eliminate the Oilers and (imo) the cup favourite meaning just one of them would be standing in the way of a SCF.

Not overlooking them, but I guess I slightly prefer LA. No easy paths in this one.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I'd say L.A. is the preferable option but if the Oilers are going to make it out of the Conference then the road probably runs through the Vegas strip--- so if they have to take them on in the first round then so be it.

The Oilers talent level is probably at its peak now. Mc-d, Drai etc. are excellent players but they won't be any better in the years to come and the talent pool on the farm is sparse.

Combine that "peak" with home ice advantage and they should be able to get it done. It's not exactly "now or never" but if its not now then never looms ever larger.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Boys would be highly motivated to play Vegas, it would by far be the more entertaining series, and if you want to be the best, you need to slay some dragons and beat the good teams. Would be a fun series.

Reactions: SupremeTeam16

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
A Pacific bracket of LA, Vancouver, Nashville, looks more manageable compared to the Central bracket which would be Vegas, Winnipeg, Colorado, Dallas.

The last 3 teams to eliminate the Oilers and (imo) the cup favourite meaning just one of them would be standing in the way of a SCF.

Not overlooking them, but I guess I slightly prefer LA. No easy paths in this one.

Putting it that way 4 of only 7 teams that have eliminated Edmonton from the playoffs since their last cup win, would all be in that group. .

2023 - Vegas
2022 - Colorado
2021 - Winnipeg

2020 - Chicago
2017 - Anaheim
2006 - Carolina
2003 - Dallas
2001 - Dallas
2000 - Dallas
1999 - Dallas
1998 - Dallas
1997 - Colorado

1992 - Chicago
1991 - Minnesota (Dallas)

Also all 4 of those teams will have been in Conference Finals in the last 6 years and between the four of them would have 8 conference finals appearance combined in the last 6 years, whereas the Pacific bracket would have 1 from the last 6 years, and only 2 from the last 10 years.

Go back to since Gretzky trade LA also would be on that list so even if LA goes over there it's 4 of the last 8 teams to eliminate Edmonton since Gretzky!!!

The only other teams to eliminate them in their history, Calgary (x1), Islanders (x2), and Philly.

• Wow
Reactions: RipsADrive

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Vegas is going to have something like a $110-115 million roster in the playoffs, and is the defending champion. I think the answer is obviously LA. If Vegas wasn't cheating, or more precisely if the league wasn't allowing Vegas to cheat, I would be neutral between the two teams.

I'd say L.A. is the preferable option but if the Oilers are going to make it out of the Conference then the road probably runs through the Vegas strip--- so if they have to take them on in the first round then so be it.

The Oilers talent level is probably at its peak now. Mc-d, Drai etc. are excellent players but they won't be any better in the years to come and the talent pool on the farm is sparse.

Combine that "peak" with home ice advantage and they should be able to get it done. It's not exactly "now or never" but if its not now then never looms ever larger.

Not true, or at least not likely true, if Vegas ends up in the central. Unfortunately, it looks like they will leapfrog LA as LA shit the bed last night against Minny. I don't think Vegas would have come out of the central personally, as the 3 teams in there are all very good.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Everyones answer should be LA...they are the weaker team. This talk of "to be the best you have be beat the best" **** that, the weaker team/path of least resistance is most desirable...period.

When talking about past Cup champs, no one talks about who they beat to win....only that they won.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Everyones answer should be LA...they are the weaker team. This talk of "to be the best you have be beat the best" **** that, the weaker team/path of least resistance is most desirable...period.

When talking about past Cup champs, no one talks about who they beat to win....only that they won.

Yeah, Vegas basically got a bye against Winnipeg last year. They were injured and bad. The Avs probably don’t get by St Louis two years ago if they don’t injure Binnington. There’s no shame in having an easier route.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Vegas is going to have something like a $110-115 million roster in the playoffs, and is the defending champion. I think the answer is obviously LA. If Vegas wasn't cheating, or more precisely if the league wasn't allowing Vegas to cheat, I would be neutral between the two teams.

Not true, or at least not likely true, if Vegas ends up in the central. Unfortunately, it looks like they will leapfrog LA as LA shit the bed last night against Minny. I don't think Vegas would have come out of the central personally, as the 3 teams in there are all very good.
I got the feeling last night that L.A. tanked on purpose. We'll see if it ultimately backfires on them.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Kings. Without question.

Vegas is deeper and those cheaters are about to add Stone. Not to mention the additions of Hertl and Hanifin who seem to be fitting with the club lately.

I'm not saying the Kings are going to be easy, they should have probably beat us last year if not for Campbell saving our assess but I'd still take them over Vegas.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
If we want to get into the second round LA. VEGAS is going to roll to the cup finals agagain they are usiing their last few games to make sure all lines are rolling and they get back Stone games. We can hope if we play vegas they are beaten up

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Putting it that way 4 of only 7 teams that have eliminated Edmonton from the playoffs since their last cup win, would all be in that group. .

2023 - Vegas
2022 - Colorado
2021 - Winnipeg

2020 - Chicago
2017 - Anaheim
2006 - Carolina
2003 - Dallas
2001 - Dallas
2000 - Dallas
1999 - Dallas
1998 - Dallas
1997 - Colorado

1992 - Chicago
1991 - Minnesota (Dallas)

Also all 4 of those teams will have been in Conference Finals in the last 6 years and between the four of them would have 8 conference finals appearance combined in the last 6 years, whereas the Pacific bracket would have 1 from the last 6 years, and only 2 from the last 10 years.

Go back to since Gretzky trade LA also would be on that list so even if LA goes over there it's 4 of the last 8 teams to eliminate Edmonton since Gretzky!!!

The only other teams to eliminate them in their history, Calgary (x1), Islanders (x2), and Philly.

Those Dallas years, wow.

I was a young fan during those seasons, so I knew about those series but it never really registered with me until you listed it out like that.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Those Dallas years, wow.

I was a young fan during those seasons, so I knew about those series but it never really registered with me until you listed it out like that.
It's a big reason why I can't get too mad at LA fans when they go off about the Oilers (Edmonton has eliminated LA from the playoffs 7 times, including back to back years recently and three years in a row when LA had Gretzky on their team)

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think the biggest difference this year is that Skinner is much more polished as a goalie. He's built his game up steadily over the year, and I think his game is near a peak at the moment.

Remains to be seen if it holds, but I would be stunned if he ends up being anywhere near as leaky as last year.
That is true and I wonder if our team will play better defensively. I'm not good with tracking how that is going but we are doing zone defense for the most part.

Last year it was so frustrating how both LA and Vegas just sliced through our defense and it really felt like a systems issue.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I’d want Vegas just so I could shit talk their players about management tossing them out like trash once the season is over. Say Hi to Marc Andre and Riley for us when management sends you packing. Gotta be hard on the wife and kids, they’re probably pretty comfortable in Nevada. Always hard not knowing where you’re gonna end up and who’s going to want you when you’re not wanted by your current team anymore. That’s a tough offseason for the family.

Navx94

Sponsor
Jan 17, 2019
I honestly think there’s a better chance vancouver loses their final 2 games than Vegas losing either of theirs.

It’s likely Nashville or Vegas because LA isn’t catching Vegas now.

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
Yeah, Vegas basically got a bye against Winnipeg last year. They were injured and bad. The Avs probably don’t get by St Louis two years ago if they don’t injure Binnington. There’s no shame in having an easier route.
Is it really an easier route tho?

Current vegas is the worst version of vegas we've seen since they entered the league

By round 2, they may very well be healthier, and their new additions will have even more time to become accustom to the team...stone can skate all he wants, but only games will catch him back up to speed. If we're having to beat vegas at some point to win the cup, I'd argue the easiest option is to beat them now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad