L.A. v. Vegas

Who would you prefer for the Oilers 1st round opponent?

• L.A. Kings

Votes: 26 44.1%
  • Vegas

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Get back to work Cuppy

Votes: 16 27.1%

• Total voters

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Just wanted to get the pulse of HFOil as I sit here at work drinking my early morning tea so.... what say you?
I would have added Nashville but it's a real longshot so I left it at L.A. v. Vegas for realistic purposes. I say Vegas but I expect mostly L.A. votes.

Edit: I know it doesn't matter much, either opponent will be tough and the Oilers could beat either of them but pick one just to humor me ;)

Last edited:

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I'd rather play LAK. The Oilers have beaten them twice. IMO the LAK are slightly worse and the OPIlers are much better than years past

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The Kings play a very passive 1-3-1 which makes them a huge threat against a LOT of teams, but McDavid and McKinnon absolutely shred them.

We're an unfortunate mis-match for their style of play.

That said, I'm pretty sure the Dallas Stars would shred them too.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
They are the same picture

1713277086321.png

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Don’t think it overly matters. Both teams present challenges. After Winnipeg series, I try not to wish for the opponent personally.

LA
- I personally just hate playing them. Boring and chance of injuries.
- LA is motivated to beat Edmonton
- Mentally the Oilers might feel like they know how to beat them. Both series have been really close though.

Vegas
- They have played a lot of hockey. They won a cup. Feels like they are running on fumes.
- Don’t know how healthy they are. They know how to win. I doubt they win a cup this year but I think they are still dangerous in a round.
- Reffing and league could influence decisions. Vegas is one of their golden eggs.

I personally hope we just don’t beat ourselves this year

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
If they can beat Vegas, I think the psychological effects of exorcising the Cheatin' Demons could propel them a long way, much like the morale boost they got in 2006 from beating the Wings.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Voted LA, easy travel, start a little “easier” in round 1, EDM matches well against them and their interim coach.

But all in all, just get playing game against someone.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
It’s rigged against Edmonton either way but at least we’ll have a few more games if we start against LA. And we’ll get to see some more drunk Will Ferrell

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Beating Vegas would go a long ways in team morale and motivation to keep going in this playoffs. But losing to another cheating Vegas team would be soul crushing again for me. I just hate Vegas so much that the enjoyment to beat them would be incredible... so I choose Vegas.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
I actually want us to play Vegas. It’s time to see what this team has.

If we elevate we can go on a run. If we lose. Well then we aren’t as good as we think we are.

I also think LAK is a trap (literally and figuratively). They are dirty and have a chip on their shoulder…

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
We have home ice advantage in both cases. Speaking of ice, the LA arena will be crappy with all the NBA games.
Also, we’ve beaten both teams in their barn so that’s not a worry.
Goal tending in both cases isn’t scary.
LV rolls 4 lines better than LA, and plays with bigger, smarter Dmen…could be the difference.
When all is said and done, we have McD and Drai…..Bingo!

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I think LA is a guaranteed win and Vegas is a 60%+ chance of winning.

I don't want Vegas not because I'm afraid of them in any way, but if we were to lose to them due to the Stone LTIR and another round of comical officiating/player safety practices it might permanently damage my enjoyment of the league. I don't want that.

Out of principle I don't want to play a team that is actively and blatantly cheating, even if I am pretty confident we would beat them.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I don't care really so bring on whichever. For the betterment of the overall first round, I'd prefer seeing LA and pushing Vegas to Dallas as a Dallas/LA first round would be a waste of 8 days. Whereas the rivalry of Edmonton and LA likely propels LA to overachieve and push the series deep if not win outright.

That said, I really do feel if there is a time to beat Vegas, first round is the time before they really get going, and I don't think it's unreasonable to say Edmonton could win it. Edmonton really did do enough to beat Vegas last year, but self destructed too many times ultimately gifting Vegas at least 2 if not 3 of their wins. So what has changed with the teams.

For Edmonton, swap out Henrique for Bjugstad, Perry for Kostin and Brown for Yamamoto with Carrick available to swap out for Ryan. All of these guys except maybe Carrick, have much more pedigree than the guys they are replacing. Also, we have a one year more polished Desharnais and Skinner who were two of the weak spots on last years team in that series. If their improvement in season also yields improvement in the playoffs, then I'm confident this is a better team than last years. Furthermore in the pressbox I like the reinforcements of year older versions of Broberg and Holloway along with Stetcher and Gagner better than the pressbox guys like Shore and whoever else we had up there last year.

For Vegas, their reinforcements may be a bit stronger in that you swap in Hertl, Mantha, and Hanifin for Reilly Smith, and whichever depth dman and forward the other two replace. But they are also dealing with a lot of injuries. While we may question how much of it is Vegas misdirection on those injuries, but if their is truth to those injuries, Edmonton can get on them and maybe squeeze them in those first two home games and make it tough for their walking wounded to really dig deep and come back.

Also remember that the Vegas team last year was riding a high into the playoffs going 22-4-5 in their last 31 games. Much different than this years team that has been .500 since before Christmas and also .500 when shrinking the sample size to post-all-star game.

By no means do I think Edmonton has got it in the bag vs. either team, but really if Edmonton can't beat this version of Vegas, they likely have no business thinking they can beat Dallas, Colorado or whichever team comes out of the East anyways.

Ultimately, it's absolutely crucial whichever team we play that Edmonton finally wins a Game 1 at home (haven't done so since 1990) and hopefully Game 2 as well grab the series by the throat and potentially force a short one as either team is going to leave Edmonton weakened if it goes to Game 7.

We have home ice advantage in both cases. Speaking of ice, the LA arena will be crappy with all the NBA games.
Also, we’ve beaten both teams in their barn so that’s not a worry.
Goal tending in both cases isn’t scary.
LV rolls 4 lines better than LA, and plays with bigger, smarter Dmen…could be the difference.
When all is said and done, we have McD and Drai…..Bingo!

An underrated point. With LA we're likely battling two pro sports teams at the same time for ice slots at Crypto making for a less consistent schedule and worse conditions ice wise. Furthermore, the later the playoffs go the ice in Vegas likely gets worse, so better to get it done early.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think LA is the easier option but give me the harder route and Vegas. It’s high risk high reward. I don’t buy any of the “Vegas doesn’t look like Vegas” crap, they’ll be ready for a Cup defense with the whole 100M+ roster. It’s a tough test but that’s the kind of test and situation that gets you full buy in.

I believe in these guys.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I don't care really so bring on whichever. For the betterment of the overall first round, I'd prefer seeing LA and pushing Vegas to Dallas as a Dallas/LA first round would be a waste of 8 days. Whereas the rivalry of Edmonton and LA likely propels LA to overachieve and push the series deep if not win outright.

That said, I really do feel if there is a time to beat Vegas, first round is the time before they really get going, and I don't think it's unreasonable to say Edmonton could win it. Edmonton really did do enough to beat Vegas last year, but self destructed too many times ultimately gifting Vegas at least 2 if not 3 of their wins. So what has changed with the teams.

For Edmonton, swap out Henrique for Bjugstad, Perry for Kostin and Brown for Yamamoto with Carrick available to swap out for Ryan. All of these guys except maybe Carrick, have much more pedigree than the guys they are replacing. Also, we have a one year more polished Desharnais and Skinner who were two of the weak spots on last years team in that series. If their improvement in season also yields improvement in the playoffs, then I'm confident this is a better team than last years. Furthermore in the pressbox I like the reinforcements of year older versions of Broberg and Holloway along with Stetcher and Gagner better than the pressbox guys like Shore and whoever else we had up there last year.

For Vegas, their reinforcements may be a bit stronger in that you swap in Hertl, Mantha, and Hanifin for Reilly Smith, and whichever depth dman and forward the other two replace. But they are also dealing with a lot of injuries. While we may question how much of it is Vegas misdirection on those injuries, but if their is truth to those injuries, Edmonton can get on them and maybe squeeze them in those first two home games and make it tough for their walking wounded to really dig deep and come back.

Also remember that the Vegas team last year was riding a high into the playoffs going 22-4-5 in their last 31 games. Much different than this years team that has been .500 since before Christmas and also .500 when shrinking the sample size to post-all-star game.

By no means do I think Edmonton has got it in the bag vs. either team, but really if Edmonton can't beat this version of Vegas, they likely have no business thinking they can beat Dallas, Colorado or whichever team comes out of the East anyways.

Ultimately, it's absolutely crucial whichever team we play that Edmonton finally wins a Game 1 at home (haven't done so since 1990) and hopefully Game 2 as well grab the series by the throat and potentially force a short one as either team is going to leave Edmonton weakened if it goes to Game 7.

An underrated point. With LA we're likely battling two pro sports teams at the same time for ice slots at Crypto making for a less consistent schedule and worse conditions ice wise. Furthermore, the later the playoffs go the ice in Vegas likely gets worse, so better to get it done early.

I think the biggest difference this year is that Skinner is much more polished as a goalie. He's built his game up steadily over the year, and I think his game is near a peak at the moment.

Remains to be seen if it holds, but I would be stunned if he ends up being anywhere near as leaky as last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad