L.A. Noire

Jaysfanatic*

[spoil]Of course it's a glitch...I found the morphine in the slot machine using the code I found on the dead guys. That should be good enough evidence to accuse him of lying[/spoil]

But it's not dude. It's a specific clue that the other guy informs you of :)

habsman56

Habs&Hoops
Nov 15, 2008
Just finished the main missions, lots of fun. Still, only 69% done the game, lots of street missions and other things to find/do.

Any reason why I have gotten the same street missions several times now?

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I thought the game was great. The story was amongst the best I've ever played in a game, but that seems to be par the course for Rockstar games. I don't which game I enjoyed the most out of GTAIV, RDR or LA-N... But all I know is after I played through LA-N now I find myself wanting to go through the other ones again, lol.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Just finished the main missions, lots of fun. Still, only 69% done the game, lots of street missions and other things to find/do.

Any reason why I have gotten the same street missions several times now?

Because you keep going back to the same area. Just find the icons for the street crimes you haven't done on your map (they should be red), and drive there.

Jumbo*

Still loving it, im up to I think the 3rd-4th case in homicide. Sometimes the interogations are pretty hard to tell the difference from Truth/Lie/Doubt :/

Quick question, after I think the 2nd or 3rd case in Homicide where at the end of the case I had to interrogate two people over the womans death in the school parking lot(one of the being the guy from Heroes). The captain like cursed me out after the case, is that normal or did i mess up the whole case which is why it happened? I still passed it and all.

Jaysfanatic*

Still loving it, im up to I think the 3rd-4th case in homicide. Sometimes the interogations are pretty hard to tell the difference from Truth/Lie/Doubt :/

Quick question, after I think the 2nd or 3rd case in Homicide where at the end of the case I had to interrogate two people over the womans death in the school parking lot(one of the being the guy from Heroes). The captain like cursed me out after the case, is that normal or did i mess up the whole case which is why it happened? I still passed it and all.

What happened is, you didn't convict the right guy for his liking. Getting a pedo off the streets is far more valuable than the father even though both had arguments that could convict one or the other.

Use the Schwartz*

LA Noire? more like LA me.....

Didn't like the ending at all, too rushed.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Getting the 95 cars is ridiculous. I'm at 89/95, I swear every damn car looks the same. Plus there is no check list of knowing which cars I have or don't have, the only time it shows the car name IIRC is when you first find it.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Worst $70 I've spent in a long time.

This isn't a video game, reviews should have made that clear. I stayed away from Alan Wake for a reason, and I'm inclined to believe even that game might have more action (ie. actually be a video game) this is a poorly written, overly-self righteous choose your own adventure at best.

So many of the responses don't lend themselves to any of truth/lie/doubt that I want to literally throw the game out the window. So frustrating. 'Jimmy drinks here a lot...' character looks into the distance and twitches a cheek ::truth/doubt/lie::...

Hopefully EB gives me a good exchange rate.

RDR is 100x the video game this is. There is no incentive to actually explore in this game

The Kult

Dec 15, 2008
Colorado
Just finished last night.
I am very upset with the ending.
I dont hate it, dont love it, not disappointed with it...just upset.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
RDR is 100x the video game this is. There is no incentive to actually explore in this game
It's not supposed to be an open world game. All the previews made that very clear. If you were expecting an open world game where you could go out and do what you want than you were bound to be disappointed.

And Alan Wake was awesome.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
LA Noire? more like LA me.....

Didn't like the ending at all, too rushed.

It wasn't rushed at all:

[spoil]The ending was totally by design. This is the way a lot of books and movies used to end: on an abrupt, low note. If you've ever read A Farewell to Arms, that's a great example of what I mean. The end of L.A. Noire is very similar: a major character dies, but the world is largely indifferent to his suffering and the grief of those around him. Phelps' blood is used to oil the gears of LAPD's corrupt machine, by bringing a new DA to power.

Every character in this universe (with the possible exception of Kelso; still working on him) has a major quirk or flaw. Phelps is an adulterer, Rusty is a chauvinist, Biggs is anti-social, the list goes on. Part of what makes Cole's death such a significant moment is not just the death of the protagonist, but his view on his own demise, which is established throughout the story. He could have at least tried to save his life, but unlike the other characters, his need for self-preservation was overridden by his strong sense of justice, to the point that he willingly let himself be caught up in a flood and drowned. It was his penance for his failures at Okinawa, his adultery, everything he had done wrong was, er, washed away.[/spoil]

It's a fitting ending to an impressive little story, although the "Noire" part doesn't really kick into gear until the final act. It's more part noir film, part CSI: Miami, but it's still quite good.

For anyone on the fence about picking it up, you should be warned that it's not quite like anything Rockstar has published before, although it may appear that way based on the 64 square miles of LA they've put together. You have to pay attention to detail, and serious critical thinking is occasionally required to connect the dots. There's nothing wrong with the game technically, so your experience will likely depend on how fond you are of the idea of a totally story-driven game.

I finished it a while ago, and frankly, I hope we see more games like this not so much from a technical standpoint as a narrative standpoint.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Unless there's some miraculously awesome upcoming DLC coming our way soon that rekindles my interest, I see myself selling my copy of LA Noire. I've 5 starred all caes, gotten all the newspapers, completed all 40 street crimes, but frankly...could not be bothered to grab the other 40 cars, and the film reels I'm missing.

:dunno:

Jaysfanatic*

I'll be playing it again. Though I'm the type who enjoys rewatching movies and shows though I know what is happening. This is no different.

Jumbo*

This isn't a video game, reviews should have made that clear. I stayed away from Alan Wake for a reason, and I'm inclined to believe even that game might have more action (ie. actually be a video game) this is a poorly written, overly-self righteous choose your own adventure at best.

So many of the responses don't lend themselves to any of truth/lie/doubt that I want to literally throw the game out the window. So frustrating. 'Jimmy drinks here a lot...' character looks into the distance and twitches a cheek ::truth/doubt/lie::...

So what I read is this: "I suck at the game and I can't figure out when people are telling the truth or lying so this game sucks wah wah wah"

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion

There are more kinds of video game than action games. I think you're ignorant about video games.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
all i need is 7 vehicles for 100%, then i'm going back to five star cases and pursue all achievements. i won't lie, i will probably trade this in after i get all achievements but it's not a commentary on the game's quality, just the fact that i don't see myself replaying it on a very regular basis once i'm done. free play is fun but very narrow. for the street crimes i needed, i made my partner drive. it just got too old after a while.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
it's not that I suck, it's that many of the responses don't lend themselves to any of truth/lie/doubt.

also, if I wanted a good story I'd pick up a book...for hardcore gamers who are less likely to read (ie guys with wrestlers in their avs) this game may be great because books aren't a viable alternative.

i want my games to be fun, tis all. this is not even close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad