Rumor: Kypreos says Matthews will be 13.5M (Haggling over term)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
From when is this interview, and on what station?
I already said he said it on the Fan. You dont have to believe it if you don't want to.

Nick Kypreos from Sportsnet said there had been great progress on that front. While speaking on Fan 590, Kypreos said he heard from multiple sources that the Maple Leafs and Matthews’ camp have agreed on an average annual salary of 13.5 million of dollars.

Kypreos also explained that, from what he learned, the two parties have not yet agreed on the length of the contract extension.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Overpayment, but honestly I can live with paying him for his prime years. Cap will go up a bit so it'll be manageable. He shouldn't be making more than McDavid but whatever.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Auston Matthews last contract was valued at 14.64% of the team’s salary cap and those bought out a lot of restricted years. If the $13.5M AAV contract is true, and let’s say next year’s salary cap is $87M, that would be 15.5%.

Naturally, unrestricted years are more expensive but a shorter term contract does not give a team to make the contract more affordable over time as a % of team cap.

This is not a discount at all. This will impede Toronto’s ability to stock the rest of the team. I can’t see Nylander sticking around.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
he turns 26 right before the start of this season so if he does a 3 year EXT he becomes at UFA when he turns 30 mid SEPT. Its a young mans league these days so if he thinks he would want a 7 or 8 year deal as his last big deal 3 years is really the max he should do imo. if he does a 5 he is 32 starting his next contract 12 years of wear and tear. how many high priced deals have made it to 35 or so and not had negative value? kane teows seabrook? none of those. when I say young mans league is more young players are getting paid long term deals and less older players.

Reactions: olli

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
His last 5 year deal already didn’t give you a hint?

Friedman has been on the 5 year deal with Matthews but that would take him to a difficult age

If I am Toronto, I don't go for the 3 year term and 8 years is actually more beneficial than hindrance to Matthews as he's unlikely to be worth 12M+ at that age.

5 years is great for Toronto but I wouldn't want to pay a premium for that term either.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This sounds a bit stupid to me considering debilitating injuries can happen at any moment.

I see very low upside in choosing 40M with potential to sign later for say 112M, rather than simply signing for 108M right now with potential to sign later for say 20M.

As a Leaf fan, the sweet spot for me is 6 years but I agree with you that Matthews seems to be overthinking the term and future, future earnings. He seems to be pricing himself like he’s Connor McDavid consistent in terms of offensive output year to year and those big dollars will always be there. Yes, but also depends on how his late 20s go in terms of numbers and team accomplishments…

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
One thing I don’t understand is why the AAV is fixed if the term isn’t. If the shortest term is what the player wants, why aren’t we seeing an AAV reduction to match the flexibility?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If I am Toronto, I don't go for the 3 year term and 8 years is actually more beneficial than hindrance to Matthews as he's unlikely to be worth 12M+ at that age.

5 years is great for Toronto but I wouldn't want to pay a premium for that term either.

My random guy on the Internet calculation has 6 years as the sweet spot. Takes him to the year 2030 and age 33 and extends his Leafs stay for as reasonable a runway as you’d want.

Reactions: Voight

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He’s an elite player, the best goal scorer in the league and one of a handful of the best players. It’s a year after MacKinnon, the cap is going up…there should be zero surprise or outrage over this.

NHL financials still lag so far behind the other main sports that it is silly. Kane and Toews signed 10.5x8 deals nearly ten years ago. That’s how little this boulder has moved.

AM should be getting every cent he can, just like McDavid should totally reset things when he is due.

• Haha
Reactions: TB12

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Just a matter of time until the top players in the league start pressing the issue. Look at the NBA, guys take 1 year deals at max money. Why should you be locking yourself into 8 year deals when the cap is going up every year? Just plain dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad